• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I've been reading the epic and divine rules a lot since following this thread, and the one thing I can't seem to get past (in my munchkinizing mind) is the idea that epic spellcasting deities with Alter Reality as a salient divine ability could make their impulses permanent, right? Not that it would be thematically appropriate for a game, but if you're a deity, with more or less unlimited time, you could cast a buff to get better SR, then make it permanent with Alter Reality. If you're increasing INT and improving Spellcraft, with sufficient time you could craft ever more powerful epic spell to provide even larger boosts. Not to mention what you might accomplish with an army of simulcra that could participate in an epic ritual and provide mitigating factors to allow the increase of the power of the base seed and factors of the epic spell.

It makes me think that perhaps epic spell development should have some sort of constraint based on the Spellcraft DC sans mitigating factors, as opposed to just the final Spellcraft DC.

Moleculo

First Post
I've been reading the epic and divine rules a lot since following this thread, and the one thing I can't seem to get past (in my munchkinizing mind) is the idea that epic spellcasting deities with Alter Reality as a salient divine ability could make their impulses permanent, right? Not that it would be thematically appropriate for a game, but if you're a deity, with more or less unlimited time, you could cast a buff to get better SR, then make it permanent with Alter Reality. If you're increasing INT and improving Spellcraft, with sufficient time you could craft ever more powerful epic spell to provide even larger boosts. Not to mention what you might accomplish with an army of simulcra that could participate in an epic ritual and provide mitigating factors to allow the increase of the power of the base seed and factors of the epic spell.

It makes me think that perhaps epic spell development should have some sort of constraint based on the Spellcraft DC sans mitigating factors, as opposed to just the final Spellcraft DC.

I believe Sep or Chiero mentioned this earlier in the thread. It's not an infinite loop of boosts, because even ignoring other sources of friction (such as spell development costs) you have to increase your INT 2 points for a 1 point increase in Spellcraft, and at a certain point you experience diminishing returns approaching 0.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I believe Sep or Chiero mentioned this earlier in the thread. It's not an infinite loop of boosts, because even ignoring other sources of friction (such as spell development costs) you have to increase your INT 2 points for a 1 point increase in Spellcraft, and at a certain point you experience diminishing returns approaching 0.

Absolutely correct - if your resources for mitigating factors are limited. But if you have an unlimited supply of spellcasters to participate in a ritual, then theoretically there's no limit to how high you could boost any attribute or the power of an epic spell. And if you use alter reality to create simulacra - which would take a standard action and cost no XP or gp - and those simulacra are spellcasters, and you have no limit to how many you can create...then there's really no limit to how powerful you could become. And since development costs for an epic spell are based on the final Spellcraft DC, I suppose with enough supporting casters you could actually craft an epic ritual that costs nothing.

Weird.

I just find it interesting that a god who focused on it could effectively have unlimited power. Which makes sense for a god, but is hell on bookkeeping ;)

Moleculo

First Post
And if you use alter reality to create simulacra - which would take a standard action and cost no XP or gp - and those simulacra are spellcasters, and you have no limit to how many you can create...then there's really no limit to how powerful you could become.

Yeah, there's definitely a hole in the Alter Reality SDA. I think Sep's house ruled it to cost XP to prevent abuse. Otherwise, like you said, with the rules as written, it's almost irresponsible to give a god Alter Reality without intending them to have infinite power. Plus if they can create Avatars, I'd guess they'd scale in power even more quickly!

Moleculo

First Post
I believe Sep said he rebuilt her using "reverse-engineered Archfiend stats," which lead to her using a quite beefy starting array. Come to think of it, she's probably the smartest devil in all of Hell.

tleilaxu

First Post
no doubt... i'm just curious because i was making an epic transmuter who had gifted himself with the paragon template (which gives +15 to all stats) and he wasn't even close.

shomei has an int of 62, she's 34th level

let's say shomei starts at 1st level with a 20 int (which seems likely). assume she's got the +5 inherent bonus (25). then stat increases at levels 4,8,12,16,20,24,28, and 32. this would give her a 33 int. so where do the other 29 points of int come from?

also, one thing that i garnered from shomei's jovol-forged items is that jovol was 40th level when he made the items, which means teppu would probably be a 40CR critter.

Moleculo

First Post
let's say shomei starts at 1st level with a 20 int (which seems likely). assume she's got the +5 inherent bonus (25). then stat increases at levels 4,8,12,16,20,24,28, and 32. this would give her a 33 int. so where do the other 29 points of int come from?

It sounded like the archfiend rebuild added a significant racial adjustment to her stats, maybe on the order of +15. Also, she's wearing a headband of intellect +10.

Int 18 + 5 inherent + 10 enhancement +8 class would give her 41 int. Looking at the other archfiends in the Fiendish codex, a +21 racial bonus to a stat wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
SHOMEI said:
Shomei's stats use a hypothetical Arch-Infernal array reverse engineered from the stats in the Fiendish Codex II: numbers are adjusted for inherent bonuses, native adjustments from her original (mortal) stat-block, class levels and gear effects. Subsequently, they are rather robust. I've afforded her a +8 ECL adjustment.

So not just an archfiend, but an arch-infernal! ;) Which would to me explain it... since an Infernal is already a massively powerful Epic Creature, so an Arch-Infernal stat adjustments are probably huge.

Remove ads