Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

The Lone Badger said:
As an ascetic is Nwm now unable to develop epic spells with a DC higher than 0?

What do Druids spend all the development gold on anyway?

I don't actually charge gold for the development of Epic Spells at all - there simply isn't that quantity of cash around in the campaign, and I want to keep it that way. I use an abstracted system: i.e. a 25th level character has a total resource value of x. This may be in material holdings, magic items, epic spells etc. When one figures in the xp cost to develop spells, it starts to become more complex - for purposes of determining resources, Nwm is currently 25th level, but x thousand xp have been sunk into epic spell development, therefore he is only a 22nd level character. The benefits of the ascetic class - certain perks which assume no magic items for stat boosts etc. - also have to be costed in this light, and subtracted from the whole.

This preserves the numinous bunkum which is game balance.

Creeperman

First Post
But where are all of Nwm's [Exalted] feats? Most notably Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty, which are prerequisites for the ascetic template? And since you note he never had much "stuff," did you allow him to rework the character from 1st level, in which case he would get the bonus [Exalted] feats from the template, or did you disallow them (as you note, ascetics do get viciously powerful very quickly with all the myriad abilities)?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Sepulchrave II said:
I don't actually charge gold for the development of Epic Spells at all - there simply isn't that quantity of cash around in the campaign, and I want to keep it that way. I use an abstracted system: i.e. a 25th level character has a total resource value of x. This may be in material holdings, magic items, epic spells etc. When one figures in the xp cost to develop spells, it starts to become more complex - for purposes of determining resources, Nwm is currently 25th level, but x thousand xp have been sunk into epic spell development, therefore he is only a 22nd level character. The benefits of the ascetic class - certain perks which assume no magic items for stat boosts etc. - also have to be costed in this light, and subtracted from the whole.

This preserves the numinous bunkum which is game balance.

There shouldn't be that quantity of cash in any campaign world IMO. The epic spell and magic item costs destroy the verisimilitude of a campaign world for people with the briefest understanding of an economy. Glad to see you changed it. I have been contemplating different systems for epic spell development and item creation for sometime (even the gold cost for base item creation is fairly hokey IMO).

Be great if you could post some specific information on your system.

The ascetic (from Book of Exalted Deeds) only accumulates the bonus exalted feats after becoming ascetic. So, if you become an ascetic at > 20th level (as it looks like Nym has done), you lose out on ~10 bonus exalted feats. Poor Nym! (You do, however, gain all the stat bonuses and other power-ups, so don't feel too bad for him.)

However, Creeperman is right about this: Nym would need to have taken Sacred Vow (which is a pre-req for) + Vow of Poverty just to become an ascetic -- and those feats weren't listed in his statblock. Oversight? Mistake? Or DM's decision?

Re: Nwm - I waived the prerequisite feats for the ascetic, mainly because it was so in-character. Like I say, balancing characters at this level is something of an intuitive exercise for me.

Which brings me finally to Ortwin. Ortwin has a technical ECL of 28, and probably an 'effective' ECL of around 24 because of the multiclassing shaft. Gear-wise, he is underpowered for a character of his level, and I'm still trying to contrive something in-story to redress the balance. He is King Ortwin, after all.

Note that Githla now has the adamantine descriptor. Story-wise, the scimitar was supposed to be able to 'cut through anything,' and in its 1e version it was a +3 flying scimitar of sharpness (anybody remember the Flying Scimitar of Tusmit?) - something that obviously had to be somehow translated to 3e terms. With the 3.5 (or 3.25) change, with new DR rules, something had to give, and the adamantine descriptor seemed natural.

Rob insisted on retaining his Perform skill eclecticism, even at the expense of other skills, so I can't fault him for that. I'm allowing stacked synergy bonuses for performance though, and I'll wing these as necessary. E.g.:

Ortwin sings (Sing +31) a comic (+2 Synergy from Perform: comedy) lampoon of Mostin (+2 Synergy from Knowledge: arcana) accompanied by his lute (+2 Synergy from Perform: lute), for a total bonus of +37. Seems reasonable to me. Perform is only somewhat less unsatisfactory now than in 3e.

Ortwin the Satyr

Male satyr fighter 6 / rogue 8 / bard 7; CR 25; Medium fey; HD 5d6+20 plus 6d10+24 plus 8d6+32 plus 7d6+28; hp 210; Init +10; Spd 40ft.; AC 28, touch 16, flatfooted 22; Base Atk +18; Grp +19; Atk +29 melee (1d6+7/12-20, +4 adamantine keen returning throwing scimitar); Full Atk: +29/+24/+19/+14 (1d6+7/12-20, +4 adamantine keen returning throwing scimitar; SA bardic music, pipes (charm, fear or sleep), sneak attack, spells; SQ damage reduction 5/cold iron, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, low-light vision, trap sense, uncanny dodge; SV Fort +15 Ref +24 Will +15; AL CG; Str 13 Dex 23 Con 18 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 24.
Skills and Feats: Bluff +49, Climb +8, Disguise +27 (+29 acting), Hide +30, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Listen +25, Move Silently +30, Open Lock +16, Perform (comedy) +16, Perform (string instruments) +21, Perform (oratory) +21, Perform (sing) +31, Perform (wind instruments) +21, Search +13, Sleight of Hand +18, Spot +25, Swim +7, Use Magic Device +27; Alertness, Brew Potion, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Epic Skill Focus (Bluff), Improved Critical (Scimitar), Improved Initiative, Mobility, Skill Focus (Bluff), Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scimitar), Weapon Specialization (Scimitar), Whirlwind Attack.

Spells: (3/5/4/2 spells per day; Save DC 17+ spell level). Spells known: 0 - Dancing Lights, Daze, Flare, Light, Read Magic, Prestidigitation; 1st – Sleep, Charm Person, Cure Light Wounds, Alarm, Ventriloquism; 2nd – Silence, Cat's Grace, Glitterdust, Detect Thoughts; 3rd – Major Image, Scrying. The Save DCs are Charisma-based.

Bardic Knowledge: Ortwin may make a special bardic knowledge check with a +10 bonus to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. A successful bardic knowledge check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. He may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

Bardic Music: Ortwin has the bardic music ability of a 7th level bard.

Evasion (Ex): Ortwin can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Ortwin can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack Ortwin by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than Ortwin does.

Pipes (Su): Ortwin can play a variety of magical tunes on his pan pipes. When he plays, all creatures within a 60-foot spread (except satyrs) must succeed on a DC 18 Will save or be affected by charm person, sleep, or fear (caster level 10th; Ortwin chooses the tune and its effect). In the hands of other beings, these pipes have no special powers. A creature that successfully saves against any of the pipe’s effects cannot be affected by Ortwin’s pipes for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Sneak Attack: If Ortwin can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for 4d6 extra damage. Ortwin’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when he flanks his target. Should Ortwin score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Trapfinding: Ortwin can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. He can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. If he beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check, he can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it without disarming it.

Trap Sense (Ex): Ortwin has an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +2 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +2 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Ortwin can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. He still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Skills: Ortwin benefits from a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, and Spot checks.

Possessions: +4 adamantine keen returning throwing scimitar, +5 studded leather armor, +1 (+3 mighty) composite longbow of enervation, 12x +3 arrows, cloak of displacement (major), +4 collar of charisma, winged boots, satyr’s pipes, hat of disguise, masterwork lute. [Other stuff not included to avoid spoilers].

Gideon

First Post
I think it is funny that in your 'human centric' which it got labeled back in a thread somewhere that all of the PC's are outsiders/fey/funky templated. Not a criticism...i just found it amusing

Ainhorr was the first bad guy converted to 3.5. Any worries that I may have had regarding his suitability as a foe were quickly dispelled - I must say I really like the 3.5 balor, although I've capped the advancement at around 40 HD. Several spell-like abilities have been retained from 3e.

The sword, Heedless, was originally developed for a death slaad villain that I intended to throw at the party at some point, but decided against. More on this in the next SH update.

Ainhorr, Graz’zt’s Majordomo.

Male advanced balor; CR 26; huge outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar); HD 32d8+384; hp 528; Init +10; Spd 40ft., fly 90ft. (good); AC 48, touch 14, flatfooted 42; Base Atk +32; Grp +52; Atk +52 melee (2d8+21/17-20, huge +5 anarchic vorpal longsword); Full Atk: +50/+45/+40/+35 melee (2d8+21/17-20, huge +5 anarchic vorpal longsword) and +48/+43/+38 melee (1d6+9, huge +1 flaming whip); SA Death throes, entangle, spell-like abilities, summon demon, vorpal sword; SQ Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good, darkvision 60 ft., flaming body, immunity to electricity, fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, spell resistance 28, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing; SV Fort +30 Ref +24 Will +25; AL CE; Str 43 Dex 23 Con 35 Int 24 Wis 24 Cha 26.
Skills and Feats: Bluff +38, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +47, Hide +41, Intimidate +45, Knowledge (history) +37, Knowledge (local, abyss) +42, Knowledge (planes) +42, Knowledge (religion) +37, Listen +45, Move Silently +36, Search +42, Sense Motive +42, Spellcraft +42 (+44 scrolls), Spot +45, Use Magic Device +38 (+40 scrolls); Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Critical (huge longsword), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-like Ability (telekinesis), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (huge longsword).

Ainhorr’s flaming whip is a long, flexible weapon with many tails tipped with hooks, spikes, and balls. The weapon deals bludgeoning and slashing damage, in addition to fire damage. Ainhorr’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Death Throes (Ex): When killed, Ainhorr explodes in a blinding flash of light that deals 100 points of damage to anything within 100 feet (Reflex DC 32 half). This explosion automatically destroys any weapons he is holding. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Entangle (Ex): Ainhorr’s +1 flaming whip entangles foes much like an attack with a net. The whip has 30 hit points. The whip needs no folding. If it hits, the target and Ainhorr immediately make opposed Strength checks; if Ainhorr wins, he drags the target against his flaming body (see below). The target remains anchored against Ainhorr’s body until it escapes the whip.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will— blasphemy (DC 25), deeper darkness, desecrate, dominate monster (DC 27), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), insanity (DC 25), power word stun, symbol (any, DC varies) telekinesis (DC 23), unhallow, unholy aura (DC 26); 1/day—fire storm (DC 26), implosion (DC 27). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day, Ainhorr can automatically summon 4d10 dretches, 1d4 hezrous, or one nalfeshnee, glabrezu, marilith, or balor. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th-level spell.

Flaming Body (Su): The body of Ainhorr is wreathed in flame. Anyone grappling him takes 6d8 points of fire damage each round.

True Seeing (Su): Ainhorr has a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 20th).

Skills: Ainhorr has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Possessions: huge +4 full plate armour, ‘Heedless’ (see below), huge +1 flaming whip, ring of mind blanking.

Heedless: Huge +5 anarchic vorpal longsword; AL CN; Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 24; Semiempathy, 60 ft. vision and hearing, Ego score 30.
Languages: Heedless understands Abyssal and Slaadi.
Lesser Powers: Wielder has free use of Mobility, Combat Reflexes and Evasion
Greater Power: Clairaudience/clairvoyance at will.

Remove ads