D&D 5E Eberron Is Here Today!

Eberron: Rising from the Last War hits local gamestores today. Eberron creator Keith Baker talks on his blog about what's changed!

Eberron-title.png

So, what's changed? The Mror Dwarves, races, Dragonmarks, the Mournland, Lady Illmarrow, monsters... but not guns!

And what's new? The artificer class, group patrons, warforged colossus, and scary monsters!

Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age, or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook.
  • Enter the world of Eberron in a 1st-level adventure set in Sharn, the City of Towers
  • Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of train cars, battle-scarred fortresses, and fallen warforged colossi.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.
  • Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars.
  • Prepare to venture into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.

Let's see. Both the DMGuild and Keith Baker's claim that it contains the races and classes needed to play - sounds like that will be overlap. That it's Keith Baker's playtest that a living document that will updated with newer information as refine it - definitely sounds like it will be converging on the final book.

Here's links directly supporting what I said above.

Since you accused me of misrepresenting WotC, I present my proof above. I ask you to present your proof, such as links to where they said there wouldn't be overlap or that they would be companion books that complement each other.

Keith Baker doesn't work for WotC, so his FAQ has no impact on what I've been saying.

Here's the most important tweet (notice that this was published after Wayfinder's came out; same day, but some hours after - this is important because people like me who already bought it would not have had we known some of this info):
Mearls directly says we will be happy owning both Wayfinder's and the likely to come print book (which we now know is Rising).

Why would anyone be happy owning both?

Wayfinder's comes out. Has good setting info. Everything mechanical in the book is then released through Unearthed Arcana, which we were told would happen after people started buying it.

But ok, Rising comes out. Surely there will be stuff in Wayfinder's only that makes owning the book satisfying. But almost all of Wayfinder's is copied WORD FOR WORD and put into Rising and expounded upon.

Anyone who tries to tell me that I should be satisfied owning both is talking complete nonsense. And to make the matters worse?

I bought Wayfinder's PDF.

I bought Rising on DND Beyond.

When I bought Rising, it gave me Wayfinder's for free on DND Beyond.

Wayfinder's is literally useless. If you buy Rising on DND Beyond, they acknowledge this and just give you the entire Wayfinder's Guide for free. That's how useless it is. That's how useless my $20 dollar purchase was. If I had just waited, all the mechanics would have been given to me for free, and all the setting information AND tables were included in Rising, AND I got the original Wayfinder's for free.

Miss me with that. Wayfinder's was handled exceedingly poorly and is borderline a scam before it is anything else.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Keith Baker doesn't work for WotC, so his FAQ has no impact on what I've been saying.

Here's the most important tweet (notice that this was published after Wayfinder's came out; same day, but some hours after - this is important because people like me who already bought it would not have had we known some of this info):
Mearls directly says we will be happy owning both Wayfinder's and the likely to come print book (which we now know is Rising).

Why would anyone be happy owning both?

Wayfinder's comes out. Has good setting info. Everything mechanical in the book is then released through Unearthed Arcana, which we were told would happen after people started buying it.

But ok, Rising comes out. Surely there will be stuff in Wayfinder's only that makes owning the book satisfying. But almost all of Wayfinder's is copied WORD FOR WORD and put into Rising and expounded upon.

Anyone who tries to tell me that I should be satisfied owning both is talking complete nonsense. And to make the matters worse?

I bought Wayfinder's PDF.

I bought Rising on DND Beyond.

When I bought Rising, it gave me Wayfinder's for free on DND Beyond.

Wayfinder's is literally useless. If you buy Rising on DND Beyond, they acknowledge this and just give you the entire Wayfinder's Guide for free. That's how useless it is. That's how useless my $20 dollar purchase was. If I had just waited, all the mechanics would have been given to me for free, and all the setting information AND tables were included in Rising, AND I got the original Wayfinder's for free.

Miss me with that. Wayfinder's was handled exceedingly poorly and is borderline a scam before it is anything else.

I can appreciate that you are frustrated, but "scam" is over the top language. They provided a year of early access to material for the price of a full meal at Chipotle. Not exactly a Ponzi scheme over there.

I can appreciate that you are frustrated, but "scam" is over the top language. They provided a year of early access to material for the price of a full meal at Chipotle. Not exactly a Ponzi scheme over there.
So, two things.

One, I'll agree about scam. It isn't a scam. It's a failure to reach the goals they stated. Mearls DID only say that they WANTED fans to be happy, so, it isn't a scam, just a really, really bad attempt.

Second, please, don't compare the price. You don't know my financial situation. You don't know my budget. You don't know how I allot funds or what I'm going for. Don't try and tell me I didn't spend a lot of money, and don't try to tell me that I shouldn't be concerned over what I spend my money on. It's rude and invalidating in the worst of ways.

Also, idk what fancy Chipotle's you live near, but around here Chipolte meals cost about $8 lol

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, two things.

One, I'll agree about scam. It isn't a scam. It's a failure to reach the goals they stated. Mearls DID only say that they WANTED fans to be happy, so, it isn't a scam, just a really, really bad attempt.

Second, please, don't compare the price. You don't know my financial situation. You don't know my budget. You don't know how I allot funds or what I'm going for. Don't try and tell me I didn't spend a lot of money, and don't try to tell me that I shouldn't be concerned over what I spend my money on. It's rude and invalidating in the worst of ways.

Also, idk what fancy Chipotle's you live near, but around here Chipolte meals cost about $8 lol

With chips & Salsa, guacamole and other additives, and a nice drink. Point is, twenty dollars. I'm sorry, but to make another comparison, a year and a half of entertainment versus the about two hours of entertainment of going to a theatre (around me, the ticket is $16 at the Mall, add popcorn and a drink...). $20 was a fair price, and offered good value.

With chips & Salsa, guacamole and other additives, and a nice drink. Point is, twenty dollars. I'm sorry, but to make another comparison, a year and a half of entertainment versus the about two hours of entertainment of going to a theatre (around me, the ticket is $16 at the Mall, add popcorn and a drink...). $20 was a fair price, and offered good value.
Did it?

A month after it came out, all the mechanics were released for free. So, at most, I got a month of value out of it. But that also expects that I'd be playing it multiple times that month, which for some may be reasonable, but no, it isn't what I did.

So what did I really get? I got a preview of free material is what I really got. Early access to Unearthed Arcana released soon after it came out.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
... That's how useless my $20 dollar purchase was. If I had just waited, all the mechanics would have been given to me for free, and all the setting information AND tables were included in Rising, AND I got the original Wayfinder's for free....

You dont feel that the earlier access (around a year and fourish) months had value?

If you don't then I understand your point, albeit I dont totally agree.

Our campaign benefited from Wayfarer's, your's may not have, fair enough.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
So what did I really get? I got a preview of free material is what I really got

Agreed.

A month of 5e mechanics that were then published in UA for free testing, and the fluff... which was already available in any previous Eberron book or PDF or wiki or Keith Baker blog from 3.x through 4th edition.

What I've seen of the fluff in Rising looks nice. Especially the news stuff and Group Patrons and such. Especially the Mror Holds Dwarf expansion of fluff + crunch.

But nothing in Wayfinder's fluff was really anything that wasn't already available. So there was a month of Wayfinders for $20.

Which according to people here, $20 is significant money? Because they keep telling people to buy Rising off of Amazon for $30 or get the DDB/PDF version for $30, rather than buying from a FLGS for $50+tax (in the US). So obviously $20 means something.

EDIT: There is a lot to like about Rising. I just wish like @PointOfIsnpiration that it was truly complementary and not a wholesale reprinting of Wayfinders.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did it?

A month after it came out, all the mechanics were released for free. So, at most, I got a month of value out of it. But that also expects that I'd be playing it multiple times that month, which for some may be reasonable, but no, it isn't what I did.

So what did I really get? I got a preview of free material is what I really got. Early access to Unearthed Arcana released soon after it came out.

Yes, the value provided was good, that you didn't utilize it isn't WotC scamming you.

The mechanics were a small part of the document, the main thing is the fluff and tables which could be relocated from older books, but those books would have cost more than $20 to pull the same material together. Plus, new stuff from Baker. I didn't take advantage of it, but it was a legitimate value.

Now, will they handle this the same way in the future? Probably not. Such is experimentation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which according to people here, $20 is significant money? Because they keep telling people to buy Rising off of Amazon for $30 or get the DDB/PDF version for $30, rather than buying from a FLGS for $50+tax (in the US). So obviously $20 means something.

It means something, but not so much about the pricing.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases