D&D General Eberron: recommend an edition

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While that is a tone explicitly gone for in the 3.5 core book and executed in some of the supplements with lots of low level important NPCs (The Lord of Blades is a CR 12) there are high CR stuff throughout the setting. Big ones include:

The Lords of Dust. Demon Lord level archfiend rakshasa.

The Dragons. Flipping through Dragons of Argonnesan I get a CR 36 lawful evil great wyrm silver dragon statted out, The Prophecy Incarnate.

The Quori. Secrets of Sarlona has a CR 20 Kallarq Quori statted out.
Okay

I’d run the permitted Savage Worlds conversion. The guy who’s wrote it does a podcast with Keith Baker. If you like Davagw Worlds it’s great stuff. You’d still need to pick an edition to get your background material from but mechanically Savage Worlds really fits what Eberron wants to do.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Savage Worlds managed to be not quite my thing in a bunch of ways, at that level of near-miss dissonance that can be more annoying than being way off. Nothing wrong with the game, it’s just one of those mismatch things.

pukunui

Legend
Dragonmarks - Blog posts by the creator that could be compiled and used as a setting guide, they’re so comprehensive.

Along with those, I’d consider Exploring Eberron on the DMsGuild.
As someone who only recently started running a campaign in Eberron for the first time, I’d just like to point out that Exploring Eberron is basically a compilation of many of his blog posts, so if you've got the book, you can skip a lot of the blog posts.

I'm not sure if the newer Chronicles of Eberron is the same or not.

Both are chock-full of lore and are definitely worth getting even if you're not using the 5e rules.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As someone who only recently started running a campaign in Eberron for the first time, I’d just like to point out that Exploring Eberron is basically a compilation of many of his blog posts, so if you've got the book, you can skip a lot of the blog posts.

I'm not sure if the newer Chronicles of Eberron is the same or not.

Both are chock-full of lore and are definitely worth getting even if you're not using the 5e rules.
I also own the book and strongly disagree.

He’s need a third book of the same type to get through so many articles I’d feel satisfied recommending it and not his blog.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
As usual, I recommend the 4e version for play. The 3e books are more lore-dense, that is true, but I don't think you would be disadvantaged if you only used 4e material. There may be sources out there for the Dragon mag content, though I wouldn't know where to look.
It isn't a particularly cost effective way to collect the Eberron articles but all of the 4e issues of Dragon and Dungeon are available for sale on the DMs Guild.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
5E's Exploring Eberron, written by Keith himself, is the single best Eberron book ever published for the setting.
Seconding this. 3e has the most lore just because it put out so many books, but Exploring Eberron is the single best Eberron product, and it's not particularly close.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
While that is a tone explicitly gone for in the 3.5 core book and executed in some of the supplements with lots of low level important NPCs (The Lord of Blades is a CR 12) there are high CR stuff throughout the setting. Big ones include:

The Lords of Dust. Demon Lord level archfiend rakshasa.

The Dragons. Flipping through Dragons of Argonnesan I get a CR 36 lawful evil great wyrm silver dragon statted out, The Prophecy Incarnate.

The Quori. Secrets of Sarlona has a CR 20 Kallarq Quori statted out.
Even the Lords of Dust are just servants of the Overlords (aka the rakshasa rajahs), which are far mightier than them. We've only ever seen one Overlord statted out, that being Sul Khatesh, the Keeper of Secrets, in Dragon #337, and while that article reiterated that the Overlords aren't deities, it still used the rules from the 3E Deities and Demigods for Sul Khatesh's stats.

Even the Lords of Dust are just servants of the Overlords (aka the rakshasa rajahs), which are far mightier than them. We've only ever seen one Overlord statted out, that being Sul Khatesh, the Keeper of Secrets, in Dragon #337, and while that article reiterated that the Overlords aren't deities, it still used the rules from the 3E Deities and Demigods for Sul Khatesh's stats.
Sul Khatesh and Rak Tulkhesh got stat blocks in Rising from the Last War, both clocking in at CR 28. Though it's worth noting that Keith Baker stated these stat blocks are intended to be aspects of them after their partial release and acknowledged their 3.5e versions were much stronger. Still, Rising Sul Khatesh is a formidable foe even for high level parties due to her ability to create large areas of antimagic fields that she is immune to.

Remove ads