D&D General Eberron: recommend an edition

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
If I were wanting to focus on one (1) D&D edition’s version of Eberron, which would you recommend? Please explain why, too - this isn’t just a simple popularity poll, but me hoping for discussion that will bring up factors I like or don’t. Thanks!

Vaalingrade

Legend
The 3.5 books are excellent for the lore; one of the best setting books of the period and there's plenty of meaningful information in the supplements, which aren't skimped on either.

4e has the better rules and mechanics, but most of the extra lore was broken up into a bunch of digital dragon articles that might be difficult to track down and there's not nearly as much as in 3e.

5e.... has a sweet alt cover if you've got 90 bucks to spend. If you've heard about the problem of every other 5e Not-A-Setting books, this one suffers the least from it. Keith did a lot of good stuff on DM's guild, but good luck getting the other players to buy in to DM's Guild material even if it's by the creator of that world.

But seriously, get the 3.5 setting book step one.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Normally I wouldn’t recommend 3.5 cause I’m not a big fan of the system, but it’s the game Eberron was made for, and because of that I think it’s still the best execution of the setting. Or at least, the one where the lore and the mechanics are most in sync with each other.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I’m going to be using other mechanics anyway, so all they need to do is provide fodder for Fate aspects, QuestWorlds traits, or some such. Should have said that earlier. Thanks!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’m going to be using other mechanics anyway, so all they need to do is provide fodder for Fate aspects, QuestWorlds traits, or some such. Should have said that earlier. Thanks!
Oh! Yeah, if you’re just looking for the best setting material and going to adapt it to another system anyway, then I’d unreservedly recommend the 3.5e version.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Normally I wouldn’t recommend 3.5 cause I’m not a big fan of the system, but it’s the game Eberron was made for, and because of that I think it’s still the best execution of the setting. Or at least, the one where the lore and the mechanics are most in sync with each other.
AIUI, Mr. Baker himself felt that 4e outdid 3e in terms of execution on Eberron. Perhaps, in part, because 4e baked in some mechanics that had been invented by 3.5e Eberron, like action points.

As usual, I recommend the 4e version for play. The 3e books are more lore-dense, that is true, but I don't think you would be disadvantaged if you only used 4e material. There may be sources out there for the Dragon mag content, though I wouldn't know where to look.

Kurotowa

Legend
The 3e Eberron books are numerous, but not all of the same quality. The further they get away from the original design team the more they suffer. Anything with Keith Baker or James Wyatt on the cover is probably at least decent, but that's not everything.

The three books I made sure to keep were the Eberron Campaign Setting, Sharn: City of Towers, and the Player's Guide to Eberron. You might get some decent millage out of Secrets of Sarlona and Secrets of Xen'drik. But I would probably avoid, say, Five Nations or Magic of Eberron. I recall those as being noticeably lower quality.

If you want a shorter shopping list, the 5e Eberron: Rising from the Last War is decently concise and has some useful updates. Also Keith Baker put out a book through DMs Guild, Exploring Eberron, that I found an excellent deep dive into some of the aspects of the setting that don't usually get a close look.

Remove ads