D&D 5E Eberron: Rising from the Last War Previews

Fantasy Grounds has posted a preview of the official virtual tabletop package for the upcoming Eberron setting book. It gives a great sense of the content and art style to be found in the hardcover.

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.51.58.png

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.53.00.png

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.52.31.png

D&D Eberron: Rising From The Last War
Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron--a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age, or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer--the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player's Handbook.
  • Enter the world of Eberron in a 1st-level adventure set in Sharn, the City of Towers
  • Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of train cars, battle-scarred fortresses, and fallen warforged colossi.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and intrigue and a crossroads for the world's war-ravaged peoples.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron--a background for your whole party.
  • Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player's Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world's devastating wars.
  • Prepare to venture into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.
Click through for more screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
So, my family in the animation industry have told me that "Anime," strictly speaking and not just meaning "Japanese Cartoons," refers to the technique of saving money that Japanese TV studios started using in the 60's on by reusing cells and only animating the mouth when a character speaks. The Hobbit does this, as well as have a very Japanese vibe. Note the Asian art influences on Chinese-dragon Smaug and the Oni-like Orcs:

latest

goblin.jpg

By this definition, Nausica is NOT Anime while the Hobbit IS Anime. Weird world, eh?
Even more interesting, now I wonder what the popular definition of anime would. I imagine most people don’t think of that when the say “anime.” I certainly know I don’t!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, my family in the animation industry have told me that "Anime," strictly speaking and not just meaning "Japanese Cartoons," refers to the technique of saving money that Japanese TV studios started using in the 60's on by reusing cells and only animating the mouth when a character speaks.

Nah, anime is just Japanese for cartoons—regardless of where they're from or whatever. The Flintstones are anime (to the Japanese) even is Western audiences have narrowed the meaning for their usage... A good way to toll pretentious weeaboos (and one should always do so) is to call anime "cartoons" (by definition, they are) and watch the hissy fits begin.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nah, anime is just Japanese for cartoons—regardless of where they're from or whatever. The Flintstones are anime (to the Japanese) even is Western audiences have narrowed the meaning for their usage... A good way to toll pretentious weeaboos (and one should always do so) is to call anime "cartoons" (by definition, they are) and watch the hissy fits begin.

Just going on what the pro's told me, but that might just be a meaningless academic distinction.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Am I the only one who misses the heavy fey look of 4e's gnomes?
I’m with ya on that! My wife often laments the weird and inconsistent art for gnomes in 5e. Not to mention the fact that the phb gnome looks anencephalic but it’s obviously just an art screw up.
But the Fey gnomes of 4e are largely what we still use in our games, alongside 4e style halflings.
The 5e Halflings look horrible, they look like bobble heads, it's the single worst race art in D&D history.
Absolutely. It’s garbage art direction that cannot reasonably be translated to a real creature. A Dragonborn can be imagined in terms of “this image but live action”. The phb halflings? Nope. They’d not be able to walk properly. They’d have a -2 to Dexterity, rather than a +2.

Might as well give us spindly half-orcs with short arms.

I think for some people, it's not just the large heads, but also that being paired with the small feet, which was introduced in the D&D Next tests. This art design was what WotC got after testing with the player base. It wasn't out of nowhere, or against what people as a whole liked. That's why they stick with it, despite some noise against it in the social media.

Well, they presented a few art styles for the halfling, and one was chosen. They never did anything to determine if that was because or in spite of the halfling proportions.

dave2008

Legend
. A Dragonborn can be imagined in terms of “this image but live action”. The phb halflings? Nope. They’d not be able to walk properly. They’d have a -2 to Dexterity, rather than a +2.
Though i too don't like the design, I disagree with this sentiment. The most dexterous things can be those that are unbalanced.

Have you heard the term fly-by-wire? It is the concept that modern fighter jets are inherently unstable and would fall from the sky without the computer constantly making corrections. However, it is this instability that gives them there great maneuverability and combat prowess.

Think of the halflings the same way, their design (big head, tiny legs) makes them unbalanced, but their computer (their brain and nervous system) is designed to compensate, thus making them the most dexterous of all races!

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Though i too don't like the design, I disagree with this sentiment. The most dexterous things can be those that are unbalanced.

Have you heard the term fly-by-wire? It is the concept that modern fighter jets are inherently unstable and would fall from the sky without the computer constantly making corrections. However, it is this instability that gives them there great maneuverability and combat prowess.

Think of the halflings the same way, their design (bid head, tiny legs) makes them unbalanced, but their computer (their brain and nervous system) is design the compensate, thus making them the most dexterous of all races.
That’s quite a stretch. Much easier to just say, “Nah. They don’t look like that.”

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases