D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Well, an offshoot of the Church,
I'm intrigued! I really gotta read more when I'm not on Call.

I guess if by offshoot you mean the entire Church?

the Purge said:
In the year 832 YK, the Church of the Silver Flame announced the Lycanthropic Inquisition: a church sanctioned scouring of the continent to destroy all lycanthropes and their ilk. Known also as the Purge, this crusade slaughtered most of the lycanthropes on the continent, as well as a race of lycanthropic descendants known as shifters. Due to the atrocities committed by the templars of the Silver Flame during the Purge, it remains a dark page in the church's history

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That must be from the book Keith didn’t get to work on, that most Eberron fans consider non-canonical because of how badly it gets a ton of stuff wrong.

The Purge happened in what is now the Kingdom of Aundair, and parts of the Eldeen, not across the continent, and it wasn’t an action taken by the whole Church.

The Aundiarian Pure Flame zealots are the spiritual (and often literal) descendants of the wayward zealots who commutes the atrocities of the purge.

Also in every other source IIRC, the purge exclusively target lycanthropes, not shifters. Shifters got targeted by individual Templars and overzealous communities, not by the actual mandate of the Church.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah it's kind of a mix of the Underdark, the Abyss and the literal underground hell.
Problem being is that those places are tied to massive amounts of their own lore & some parts of them have similar metaphorical analogs that are just too different to be the same. The Mojave desert has enough similarities to mars that it makes for a good place for nasa to test mars bound designs, but you'd be laughed out of the room if you suggested that nasa just do their research in the mojave desert & save the trip since it's just like mars. There are too many differences between mars & the mojave desert to be more than a useful test bed to work out some kinks with just as khyber is too different from those things to be a "mix" any more than blueberries are a mix of raspberries cranberries & plumbs because they all grow on a plant & contain juice with fructose & cells with dna

Salthorae

That must be from the book Keith didn’t get to work on, that most Eberron fans consider non-canonical because of how badly it gets a ton of stuff wrong.

This post on WotC site by Mr. Baker himself seems to indicate that it was the main church that pushed the Purge, partly as a power play for the church itself, and while it lists "hundreds" of shifters dying, I had thought it was more widespread than that (the shifter deaths I mean).

The Purge happened in what is now the Kingdom of Aundair, and parts of the Eldeen, not across the continent, and it wasn’t an action taken by the whole Church.

The Aundiarian Pure Flame zealots are the spiritual (and often literal) descendants of the wayward zealots who commutes the atrocities of the purge.

Also in every other source IIRC, the purge exclusively target lycanthropes, not shifters. Shifters got targeted by individual Templars and overzealous communities, not by the actual mandate of the Church.
That's an example of what some of the Eberron fandom calls canon vs "Kanon", when Keith's vision for the setting conflicts with what actually made it to print and was officially sponsored by WotC. Per Keith's writings on the subject on his personal blog, by the time the purge turned ugly, it had been coopted by the Pure Flame sect within the church and their lay supporters who had taken up torches and pitchforks. But if you take Faiths of Eberron at its word, those Puritans had support within the main church hierarchy up to and including the Keeper of the Flame himself.

Salthorae

those Puritans had support within the main church hierarchy up to and including the Keeper of the Flame himself.

i’ll give the blog post to read tonight, but the other blog post from Keith from 2005, also mentions that they had the support of the keeper of the flame.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This post on WotC site by Mr. Baker himself seems to indicate that it was the main church that pushed the Purge, partly as a power play for the church itself, and while it lists "hundreds" of shifters dying, I had thought it was more widespread than that (the shifter deaths I mean).
The inquisition was called by the Church. It turned into a purge because Aundarian fanatics and lycan manipulators pushed both the common folk and the shifter communities against each other.

Keith’s blog also clarified a lot of that.

It’s a black mark, but not nearly so simple as “the Church massacred shifters all over the continent”.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
hkjh
The inquisition was called by the Church. It turned into a purge because Aundarian fanatics and lycan manipulators pushed both the common folk and the shifter communities against each other.

Keith’s blog also clarified a lot of that.

It’s a black mark, but not nearly so simple as “the Church massacred shifters all over the continent”.
He's also talked about it & lycanthropy in this manifest.zone episode around the 20 min mark. It started out like the war on polio/smallpox/etc & spiraled as were-* did things like infect someone & run to throw off pursuitalkin to how if those diseased individuals went around deliberate;y infecting random people to distract the vaccine folks before moving on as an plagueship type carrier.

Remove ads