Critical Role Echo Knight is Wildemount's Most Popular Subclass

D&D Beyond shared some stats about the things people are using from Explorers Guide to Wildemount. These are stats from 28 million characters.

D&D Beyond shared some stats about the things people are using from Explorers Guide to Wildemount. These are stats from 28 million characters.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.36.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.37.46 PM.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
When you're dealing with Paladin, saving 2 levels is a lot.

I made no judgments on the power level of the combo. I did however, ask if there is any other way, as you stated, to efficiently reduce the Paladins MAD?
3 levels of a good combo MC is efficient. Fey or celestial pact mix very well will Paladin, and a Fey/ancients Dexadin with Armor of Shadows is at least as powerful at most levels as a Hexblade/Paladin.

Different build the hexblade dumps all over the phb blade lock which is a fairer comparison.

Fiendpact tomelock played as an Archer with tricks is best way to play a phb warlock. You can get around the blade lock MAD with rolled stats or MCing into fighter with default array.

Xanathars could be renamed to Xanathars Guide to Power Creep.
There is no power creep in 5e.

And the Hexblade can’t be compared to a pact boon. Of course a patron is more powerful than a pact boon. It’s supposed to be!

The Blade pact is the weakest pact boon, and yet the Hexblade doesn’t even actually replace it. An MC character shouldn’t ever be taking it rather than Tome (Pre or post Xgte), and a pure Hexblade warlock should still be taking it to get +CHA to damage and extra attack.

But all Hexblade does is make a Melee warlock on the same power level as a ranged warlock, rather than dramatically behind.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Strange tactic that is unclear whether it is legal or not RAW:

Summon an echo. Grab onto it, or have it grab onto you. Move the Echo up 30 feet. It is holding you, so you are also moved up 30 feet. You now have 30 foot free flight until the echo takes any damage or it lets go of you.

Undrave

Legend
Iirc rolling is the assumed default, point buy is ask DM and can't recall off the top of my head about the array.
This is correct

Just checked the book: Roll is mentionned first, but the same paragraph say "If you want to save time, or don't like [the idea of rolled stat]" you can use the standard array. So to me that screams "we mention the good old first or the grognard will complain" more than 'default'. Both are equally the default.

Point buy is indeed presented as a variant.

And in Adventure League there's no rolling at all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just checked the book: Roll is mentionned first, but the same paragraph say "If you want to save time, or don't like [the idea of rolled stat]" you can use the standard array. So to me that screams "we mention the good old first or the grognard will complain" more than 'default'. Both are equally the default.

Yeah, it's not wrong. Just never seen it used in practice. And my sample population is the opposite of Grognards, if anything: I'm the old man at 34, and only been playing since 3E myself. People like rolling dice?

Zardnaar

Legend

AL is organized play, you kind of need organized rules for that.

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, it's not wrong. Just never seen it used in practice. And my sample population is the opposite of Grognards, if anything: I'm the old man at 34, and only been playing since 3E myself. People like rolling dice?

Personally I'm not a big fan of the randomness... But I'll follow along with the group. Just that in the game (in hiatus of course) I'm in right now the DM actually said we were too strong for our levels and specifically picked high CR threat to rein us in so... it has been a bit frustrating in a way. We rolled back in Star Wars SAGA and I got an insane DEX for my pilot so that was nice... but that game was lopsided due to other houserules in play.

AL is organized play, you kind of need organized rules for that.

I just mean that it's not that uncommon to not roll since anyone in the AL is automatically not rolling.

Remove ads

Remove ads