• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ego Whip is now officially my favourite Psi Power!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Legildur said:
Made me laugh! Thanks Kae'Yoss!

At your service.

Garboshnik said:
Not to take away from how annoying the player might have been, but 14 Charisma damage would insta-KO almost any character.

At least those with bad will saves. Half my party would have survived it (even if they failed the save), but half my party wasn't cornering that cat (as good a way to describe a wilder as any).

And I rolled pretty well, I have to add that.

Come to think of it, I could have gone with less dice and still knocked him out.

nimisgod said:
OMG. You sound just like me. It's like looking at my arguments with some of my players, but from the outside.

It's always nice to get an outside perspective on things. And possible solutions ;) .

It's funny that he mentions "too much combat" and then plays a dumb, ugly half-orc (whose probably not good for anything but smashing stuff).

Exactly. And that was the first D&D round he playd with us, too - the second overall. The first was Vampire with just one fight in all.

Someone

Adventurer
Garboshnik said:
Not to take away from how annoying the player might have been, but 14 Charisma damage would insta-KO almost any character.

Well, you need to be at least level 15 to pull that trick (not counting feats), and then be lucky with those 4d4.

superkurt13

First Post
I play an Erudite and Ego Whip is definitely one of my staple powers. I can't believe it hasn't been nerfed yet. Not really too great if you're fighting multiple foes (that's what I use Energy Missile for) but anytime my group fights one large moster i can usually drop him in a few rounds with this power. Especially great against those "half-orc" like creatures who have low charisma and horrible will saves.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Someone said:
Well, you need to be at least level 15 to pull that trick (not counting feats), and then be lucky with those 4d4.

Or at least level 13 with an Overchannel (as you note). ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Armadon63 said:
Yeah that would suck. might as well reroll a new character

Well, yeah.

Think of it as playing in a campaign with no Raise Dead...but there is a very painful option if you really really really want your PC to come back.

I would probably just roll a new character in most cases. Reset your expectations that this is the norm.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Someone said:

Or be a wilder 11 (they get wild surge +4). This one was a Wilder 12.

The players were level 12 as well - and all get the Alluminar template for free (Alluminari get all the Aasimar abilites, +2 Dex Int, +2 Diplomacy and Sense Motive. Low-Light Vision, and 3 extra spell-like abilities - one usable during daytime, one during nighttime and one during the twilight hours. They also only need to sleep for 4 hours. Alluminari are related to the Sun Soul - Lathander, Selune, Sune - and hail from Opus, the only surviving Shade Enclave besides Shade).

On these levels, you have to expect death effects, harm, and stuff like this.

Thanee said:
That's funny (and for the record, his only reasonable complaint there; small dwarves are for garden decoration)! :D

Of course. All dwarves are for garden decoration I say.

frankthedm

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
bad dm houserules with bad players... ah the fun of it all :eek:
Which houserules were bad?

No AoO is alright when the removal is there to facilitate more daring actions in combat. Being a wargamer at heart, I think AoO is too vital to be gotten rid off though. Dropping your guard near a trained warrior[including mooks] should be life threatening IMHO.

Making Dwarves small is actually a good one. The size bonus to hit and to AC sounds pretty scary on the stunties. Sure the war axe goes down to a 1D8, but the tower shield becomes less painful with that to hit bonus. Personally I just tear off the weapon familiarity with war axe and urgosh and instead give each dwarf a one handed martial weapon proficiency of axe, hammer or pick variety because IMO dwarfs in full BAB classes get more than enough already.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
well not so much bad, as the way the story was told, the player gto annoyed because of the many changes. Sure he was a munchkin and didn’t know the rules, but it just seemed to me that the dm didn’t explain the new house rules and that it could have seemed to the player that the dm was specifically targeting the player and disallowing or messing with many of the things the player wanted to play. It can grind on new players that are used to by the book d&d only to have many of the things they used to know, changed and tinkered with. It also doesn’t help when the house rules come out slowly and hinder the new player every step of the way. Its better for the dm to just say all the houserules at once. Also the thread seemed more about how he angered his new player, and took him down in combat. Seemed like the dm enjoyed frustrating the player. Dono, it just hit a nerve I guess. I get annoyed at the… “because” dms. If I was trolling... um ooops?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads