• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ego Whip is now officially my favourite Psi Power!

wildstarsreach

First Post
moritheil said:
Do you mean to say that it often is used as a dump stat? That's true.

Do you mean to say that there is no possible good that comes of having a high charisma? That's false.

Yes based on the way the system uses charisma. I always like to have some because I think that you want some affect on social situations. I also think that your characters looks are tied to your charisma.

Artoomis

First Post
Nail said:
But if ye be a pirate, ye'll always 'ave th' ladies after ye! No need fer any o' that fancy Char-isma!

Arrrrr, matey, if ye be a pirate then ye be stuffed full of that char-is-matic lure, ye be.

MithrasRahl

First Post
Kae'Yoss, I agree with almost everything you said, I know the type of player you're talking about (A friend and I run Gaming Nights at the local community centre).

The only thing I would say (and you probably know it, though your intense dislike for this guy overshadows it) is that you criticize him for making a dumb, focussed-only-on fighting, and yet when he does something clever, like intimidating someone, he gets smacked down for it.

I understand that, were it real life, the wilder's reaction would make 100% sense, but this is a game, and sometimes it's good to reward interesting/clever decisions/RP by bending the rules/laws of the world a bit to reward the players.

That said, I don't think I would have bent the rules for this guy either, but the point of this post is to remind all DM's to bend the rules a bit to encourage parties to roleplay/think outside the box more.

A story that sorta relates, we were playing a dungeon crawl at lvl 2, and we were fighting a horde of goblins in some cavern. We were winning, but one of our rogues was knocked out, and off the ledge. I ran over (playing a Human Fighter), and told the DM I was throwing my spear (+1 Spear we had just got from a boss fight) to try and pin him against a chain that the rogue was falling beside.

Realizing that this was the rogue's only chance at survival, and that I was leaving myself open to attack and losing our first piece of treasure, the DM allowed me an attack roll, with 12-20 hitting and pinning him.

(It doesn't need to be said that I rolled a 20, and then maxed out my damage, cutting the rogue's unconcious body in two. The upper half remained pinned though!)

Grog

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
You can't really compare levels when psionics are involved. Once it's pumped up a bit, it costs as much as a higher-level power.

Which makes it even more of a tool for NPC villains. PCs have to worry about multiple encounters in a single day and thus have to husband their resources carefully. NPCs only have to worry about one encounter - the one with the PCs - and thus can unleash everything they've got, every time. So the fact that boosting the power makes it cost more isn't a deterrent for NPCs. As long as they have enough PPs to get them through the few rounds their fight with the PCs is likely to take, it's not an issue beyond that.

Add in the fact that the PCs are likely to run into enemies that are immune to psionic powers (another thing the NPCs don't usually have to worry about), and this is one power that seems tremendously more effective for NPCs than it does for PCs.

Also, consider that an average roll on 4d4 is 10. So the power will incapicitate someone with an average Charisma score in one shot. Even if they make their Will save, it'll only take two rounds to drop them.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
MithrasRahl said:
The only thing I would say (and you probably know it, though your intense dislike for this guy overshadows it) is that you criticize him for making a dumb, focussed-only-on fighting, and yet when he does something clever, like intimidating someone, he gets smacked down for it.

I have more of a problem with playing a dumb warrior who acts smart. If you're going to make dump stats out if int and cha, play it that way. Use the Force. Use Brute Force! ;)

You might say: "you don't have to be a genius to come up with stuff like that." and I agree with you. But he played the exact opposite: A completely dumb, socially completely dead character.

I understand that, were it real life, the wilder's reaction would make 100% sense, but this is a game, and sometimes it's good to reward interesting/clever decisions/RP by bending the rules/laws of the world a bit to reward the players.

As I said, I consider it bad roleplaying if anything (since that character isn't supposed to do anything much above beating with his weapon), and even then, having a confident, strong-willed, emotional character who knows he can get out of this acting like a frightened little girl is bending it a lot.

That's not to say that I don't reward daring, cool actions and good roleplaying. I do.

A story that sorta relates, we were playing a dungeon crawl at lvl 2, and we were fighting a horde of goblins in some cavern. We were winning, but one of our rogues was knocked out, and off the ledge. I ran over (playing a Human Fighter), and told the DM I was throwing my spear (+1 Spear we had just got from a boss fight) to try and pin him against a chain that the rogue was falling beside.

Realizing that this was the rogue's only chance at survival, and that I was leaving myself open to attack and losing our first piece of treasure, the DM allowed me an attack roll, with 12-20 hitting and pinning him.

(It doesn't need to be said that I rolled a 20, and then maxed out my damage, cutting the rogue's unconcious body in two. The upper half remained pinned though!)

Actually, I wouldn't have let you cut him in two. You weren't really attacking him, but trying to pin him. A natural 20 on that roll have me tell you that you just pinned him by his clothes, not further injuring him.

Grog said:
Which makes it even more of a tool for NPC villains.

I know. I'm just saying that if spellcasters get to shoot from the top, depleting their most powerful spell slots first, then the manifesters get to use their power points.

Also, consider that an average roll on 4d4 is 10. So the power will incapicitate someone with an average Charisma score in one shot. Even if they make their Will save, it'll only take two rounds to drop them.

I know. But, as I said, at the time I created that character, the group didn't have anyone with average Charisma 10. Or with will saves that were that low. So the chances of this spell knocking anyone out were pretty slim.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads