D&D 5E Eladrin differences questions.

DOBISARETHECUTEST

Dobermans are awesome!
So I was looking at the elf Subrace of Eladrin and I’m not sure if it was made well. They get bonuses to there Fey Step trait and they are not created equal.

Springing Step (yes I’m doing dumb names.)
With this you become a support of some kind and can do a lot of shenanigans if you use the spell suggestion. You get to touch a willing creature and teleport them instead of you. This in turn could be a stupid combo with suggestion where you say “calm down I’m here to help you. You can trust me.” then you can teleport them off the cliff.
9/10

Summer Tap Dance
This makes your Fey Step like a Thunder Step spell that does fire damage equal to your charisma modifier. This is good since unless enemies are coming from all sides or there flanking you, you could turn your head to look at one do a little tap dance and set them on fire. Out of combat it could be used for role playing possibly.
9/10

Charming Dead Leafs
This is one of the weaker ones since it has a wisdom save. This is one that is best for role playing in my opinion if your a performer since it wouldn’t be that strange to show the king your act before you spoke to him. This in turn is like the cantrip Friends without the drawback. 10ft isn’t that bad too. The big drawback is the fact it can only target t
7/10

Winter Sadness
This is the worst one which sucks since I prefer the blue coloration over any of the other ones. I personally don’t understand why they have such a bad Fey Step modifier. Frightened is not that bad but targeting only one creature and a saving throw? This is the main reason why I was thinking that instead of playing a Winter Eladrin I would play a mix to play a Winter with the powers of Spring. I can see that it’s good if your near one enemy and you don’t him to follow, but still. Would it be wrong to make it where this ability targets more then one creature or didn’t have a saving throw? Maybe make the range 10 ft instead?
4/10

If you could you explain ways to balance these, since Spring and Summer are really good while Winter is mediocre? I don’t mean any offense to anyone who likes the Winter Ability.
Like=IhaveRead

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Springing Step (yes I’m doing dumb names.)
With this you become a support of some kind and can do a lot of shenanigans if you use the spell suggestion. You get to touch a willing creature and teleport them instead of you. This in turn could be a stupid combo with suggestion where you say “calm down I’m here to help you. You can trust me.” then you can teleport them off the cliff.
9/10

You can do the same thing if you grapple them and then throw them off the cliff that way.

Trying to make this offensive is a real stretch. You need to successfully cast Suggestion and then need some sort of hazard to teleport them to. There is a lot that can be done with a successful Suggestion.

It's a fine ability to have an option to help a friend though. Great on a "tank" themed character like a Paladin who is all about protecting their friends.

Summer Tap Dance
This makes your Fey Step like a Thunder Step spell that does fire damage equal to your charisma modifier. This is good since unless enemies are coming from all sides or there flanking you, you could turn your head to look at one do a little tap dance and set them on fire. Out of combat it could be used for role playing possibly.
9/10

It doesn't set the creature on fire. It just does a small amount of fire damage. Characters are either going to hate this if they want Fey Step to move away from creatures or find it to supply a small amount of damage.

The best part about it is to chase down casters and force Concentration saves.

This really isn't great.

Charming Dead Leafs
This is one of the weaker ones since it has a wisdom save. This is one that is best for role playing in my opinion if your a performer since it wouldn’t be that strange to show the king your act before you spoke to him. This in turn is like the cantrip Friends without the drawback. 10ft isn’t that bad too. The big drawback is the fact it can only target t
7/10

Sure, it gives you that option for use. A 2 target charm for what is essentially a slightly buffed 2nd level spell seems okay. This feels in line with the other options though quite a bit more niche/circumstantial.

Winter Sadness
This is the worst one which sucks since I prefer the blue coloration over any of the other ones. I personally don’t understand why they have such a bad Fey Step modifier. Frightened is not that bad but targeting only one creature and a saving throw? This is the main reason why I was thinking that instead of playing a Winter Eladrin I would play a mix to play a Winter with the powers of Spring. I can see that it’s good if your near one enemy and you don’t him to follow, but still. Would it be wrong to make it where this ability targets more then one creature or didn’t have a saving throw? Maybe make the range 10 ft instead?
4/10

I think this is the strongest one. They are all character dependent, but for characters that want to use their Fey Step for escape purposes this is very good.

It gives you a 1 turn Cause Fear (1st level spell) and keep in mind you're doing this as a Bonus Action.

If you could you explain ways to balance these, since Spring and Summer are really good while Winter is mediocre? I don’t mean any offense to anyone who likes the Winter Ability.
Like=IhaveRead

I think they're all fine and close enough in power to each other to not matter.

They all do something different and are good in different circumstances which is what matters.

DOBISARETHECUTEST

Dobermans are awesome!
So the reason why I said Summer Tapdance was one of the better ones. In the campaign I play in the DM has traps and weapons and items that enemy can have that stop teleportation. Summer Tapdance gives a reason why they shouldn’t go after you. (My DM has a house rule where Fey Step has uses equal to your charisma modifier per long rest) Springing Step I just like the ability to teleport people since the other ones really simple uses. Summer Tapdance is burn the enemy giving them a need to think about how to counteract that. (Getting Burned hurts.) Winter Sadness is a way to run. For only you. That’s why I don’t really like it, if you leave the party behind role playing ends up with mistrust with that character. Autumn is cool too but it’s a little more limited to what you can do but this is still way better for running away. Charmed creatures can’t attack the target or target with harmful effects. This lasts for 1 minute and is two creatures. Winter Sadness is until your next turn and it’s one creature The main benefit would they can’t move towards you, but Autumn isn’t that far fetched to say I teleport 5ft, charm them and persuade them to stop fighting, heck off the DM allows it you could turn them against there friends with a high enough persuasion roll. This could works since it’s charmed until your companions injure it.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
So the reason why I said Summer Tapdance was one of the better ones. In the campaign I play in the DM has traps and weapons and items that enemy can have that stop teleportation. Summer Tapdance gives a reason why they shouldn’t go after you. (My DM has a house rule where Fey Step has uses equal to your charisma modifier per long rest) Springing Step I just like the ability to teleport people since the other ones really simple uses. Summer Tapdance is burn the enemy giving them a need to think about how to counteract that. (Getting Burned hurts.) Winter Sadness is a way to run. For only you. That’s why I don’t really like it, if you leave the party behind role playing ends up with mistrust with that character. Autumn is cool too but it’s a little more limited to what you can do but this is still way better for running away. Charmed creatures can’t attack the target or target with harmful effects. This lasts for 1 minute and is two creatures. Winter Sadness is until your next turn and it’s one creature The main benefit would they can’t move towards you, but Autumn isn’t that far fetched to say I teleport 5ft, charm them and persuade them to stop fighting, heck off the DM allows it you could turn them against there friends with a high enough persuasion roll. This could works since it’s charmed until your companions injure it.

Well, your houserules aren't really relevant as far as whether these abilities are balanced. Once you start houseruling you're changing things.

I don't get why enemies would have special ways to stop teleportation, why that's fun, and why you would want to play a teleporting character in such a campaign.

I mean, getting a little bit singed hurts, but only very little in the scheme of things. Enemy creatures are fighting for their lives. 2 damage (or whatever) is not much compared to a great axe cleaving into them, etc. They know their enemies will be doing big attacks every round. They're not going to notice the tiny amount of damage that the Fey Step provides. They're also not going to know about it until it is used, and under these houserules do you really want to be using it that many times in 1 encounter? You're looking at 6-8 encounters or so per long rest right? That's burning a lot of resources.

30 feet isn't running away from the fight/party. It is like a free disengage. It's good for ranged characters who don't want disadvantage to attack or for re-positioning.

A frightened creature has disadvantage to attack rolls. That's pretty big. Also not being able to move closer to you means that some creatures won't be able to attack at all as they can't move towards you or the party if you position yourself well.

Charm only means those creatures cannot attack you. They can attack the rest of your party just fine. The charm ends if they take damage from you or your allies too. It's really not that good in combat, it's better than nothing defensively, but not great.

A DM houseruling the charm effect to do more than it actually does has no bearing on the actual balance of the ability. Charm gives you advantage to checks to interact socially with the creature. That's it. This is less than even something like Charm Person which makes the person regard you as a 'friendly acquaintance'. That more powerful charm should definitely not be enough to turn someone against their allies.

I would not want to play in a game where players can just convince enemies to turn against their allies when facing life threatening adversaries routinely.

Of course you're going to find some abilities better and some worse when you're adding a bunch of houserules into the mix.

My advice is to remove the houserules.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What balance issue? Any Eladrin can change their season every day, so they all are capable of all of them.

So if a player picks one and it's not the perfect one for whatever situation, that's not a balance issue, that's player choice. I have a character with a rapier and a pair of short swords (and does not have the fighting style or feat for TWF). Depending on factors, I draw either the rapier or both short swords. If I have a round where I just do a single attack with a single short sword that's not a balance issue, it's player choice that's the weapon I had out.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
What balance issue? Any Eladrin can change their season every day, so they all are capable of all of them.

So if a player picks one and it's not the perfect one for whatever situation, that's not a balance issue, that's player choice. I have a character with a rapier and a pair of short swords (and does not have the fighting style or feat for TWF). Depending on factors, I draw either the rapier or both short swords. If I have a round where I just do a single attack with a single short sword that's not a balance issue, it's player choice that's the weapon I had out.

It's still a balance issue.

If one of the 4 options was always the best option (the other 3 did not fulfill their purpose) then they would still be unbalanced.

That is not the case here though. All 4 options have their purposes.

Remove ads