D&D (2024) Eldritch Blast as a class feature of the Warlock

Pauln6

Hero
do they though? and the rogue gets to add a weapon die and stat mod.

I rarely ind rouges that attack 2 rounds in a row withoout 1 being a sneak attack... and I defiantly see more combats where the rogue has SA every round then ones where there is even 1 round without.

if we did this the rogue would still be ahead
1d4 (knife) +3 (dex) +1d6 sneak attack (average 9)
1d6 eldritch blast (average 3.5)
1d4 (knife) +3 (dex) +9d6 sneak attack (average 37)
9d6 eldritch blast (average 31.5)

mabe that is why at like 15th+ level there was a skip level where rogue gor +1 d6 and the warlock did not...

I think we can make eldritch blast work off something other then cantrip damage to make it stand out... right now it is multi rays.

my quick idea would be "You deal 1d6 per prof and at level 6 can split them into up to 2 beams, and at 12th up to 3 beams, if you split the beams 2 beams can't targeet the same target"
then you can have an invocation that adds cha mod to damage of each bEAM
I think there are a number of mitigating factors with sneak attack. Ammunition for ranged attacks, you can't gain it if you have disadvantage etc. It's not hard to get but it does take some work. As you say though, there are also some advantages. I speak as someone who plays a warlock and it feels like rogue progression would be too much damage for an at will spell attack.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
It occurs to me that EB might not actually be an intrinsic class feature, but rather an invocation. If warlocks get access to the whole arcane spell list, the rationale for a lot of invocations fades away.
Oof. Amalgamated spell lists will have so many unintended consequences. I breathed a sigh of relief when they ditched them after 2e. No matter what 5.5e does, that's one aspect I would never implement. It's a deal breaker if all the other changes are contingent on that change.

I mean, personally I think Warlock should be a prestige class (or set of prestige classes) for after you form a pact with some being of great power. Generally I think that's how a slew of character ideas that presume some sort of highly consequential event (like getting knighted or contracting lycanthropy) should be handled.

Warlocks are cool, and have lots of great design innovations, but the lore has not been a good fit in 5e. Having one class that just starts with a high ranking supernatural being as an npc ally is problematic. But also why are these supernatural entities all recruiting level 1 scrubs rather than trying to win over high level servants? Yes you could have a high level Wizard form a pact with Asmodius in pursuit of more magic, but his core spellcasting takes a nosedive, in favor of getting a better cantrip, which he has to cast with Charisma for some reason. Forming a pact for more magic should make you better at magic.

I'd prefer Warlock as a prestige class you can take after swearing service to a being of great power, that would continue your existing spell progression but replace your class and subclass features with Eldritch invocations and a pact boon.
Dealing with THE PC warlock is a winning move for any outer being even at level one.
The PC will be into the most amazing adventures, with often the fate of the world at stake, and his survivability is always great.

I think there are a number of mitigating factors with sneak attack. Ammunition for ranged attacks, you can't gain it if you have disadvantage etc.
and again (In my experience) teh rouge has it so much more often then not that it is just not a real limiting factor
It's not hard to get but it does take some work. As you say though, there are also some advantages. I speak as someone who plays a warlock and it feels like rogue progression would be too much damage for an at will spell attack.

mellored

Legend
and again (In my experience) teh rouge has it so much more often then not that it is just not a real limiting factor
Probably about as difficult for a warlock to keep Hex up and running.

I do think that Eldritch Blast should not be 4 separate attacks. Mostly because it takes a lot of time to roll it all, and it makes the fighter feel less special. But it also makes repelling blast a bit OP.

IMO: a base of 2d6, no Cha, would be fine. Warlocks still get invocations and spells, so let rogues do little bit more damage.
And hex should add +1d4 to any damage the creature takes. To make it a bit more party friendly.

That would be weird. So at first and second level you've just, like, put your soul and CV up on LinkedIn and are waiting to see which otherworldly employer comes back to you with the best offer?
No. First and second level you've signed up to work for an otherworldly employer but HR hasn't given you the full benefits package yet. You've just taken the job and are getting the salary but not the perks.

And you might not know whose shell company you've signed up to work for. I mean neither demons nor fey are known for telling the whole truth, and Great Old Ones aren't known for being comprehensible when they do.

Remove ads