D&D (2024) Elf as a class

In another thread or 50,000,000 threads we have been talking about older styles of gaming in 5e and the idea of bringing them in. Now I (and a few others) spend a lot of time focused on 4e, and I personally push some (select some) from 2e... but basic had an idea I think could be fleshed out (and believe it or not my least fav edition) 3e even worked on it a bit.

Race as class.

SO I am sure someone here is better equipped to discuses what the elf class and dwarf class were in basic, but in 3.5 we had a type of prestige class that was a paragon of elfeness... is that a work?

as the title says though, I want to address if it is possible in 5e to have a class 'elf' for this I pulled this from the interwebs (reddit)

The Basic D&D Elf class was essentially nearly identical to a 1st Edition AD&D fighter/magic user mutliclass.
They needed roughly double the xp to level compared to other classes - I remember 4000xp for level 2 in Basic, and in AD&D that was 2000xp for Fighter, 2500 for Mage, with xp split between classes.
In AD&D they started with (d10+d4)/2 hitpoints, in Basic D&D they got 1d6 per level.
They were unlimited in terms of weapons and armour in both versions. In AD&D they got +1 to hit with swords and bows, I can't remember if this carried over to Basic D&D.

So my first thought was to make an eldritch knight or a bladesinger... then I thought why be basic just cause I am making a basic class...

so this is not play tested, this is not something I would plan on letting into my next campaign... but as a conversation starter and proof of concept:

HD d10
prof: all simple weapons long sword, and long bow, all light and medium armor
Saves: Dex and Cha
skills: arcana and one of Acrobatics, History, Insight, Perform, stealth
tools: 1 artesian tool and 1 instrument

half caster (like artificer so at 1st level still has 1 1st level spell and 2 cantrips)

2 extra attacks 1 at 6th and 1 at 15th level... with a mix of eldritch knight/blade singer you can give up 1 attack to use a cantrip... or at 15th+ can give up 2 attacks to cast a spell of 1st or 2nd level slot...

they use Int as there casting stat, and they have the spell book feature of the wizard... BUT only learning 1 spell by default per level

there are 2 subclasses (1 for being more warrior and 1 for being more caster) I assume at some point you might want to add extra spells... like maybe the warrior subclass would get some smites and/or hunters quarry but the wizard subclass would get more druid spells

at 2nd level they get cunning action (OMG that isn't fighter OR wizard)

at 5th level they get uncanny dodge (OMG that is from rogue too)

at 7th level they get a variant of Feral Instinct (OMG now barbarian too) just the advantage to initiative since they don't have rage.

at 11th level they get telepathy as a language...

beyond that I don't know. part of me wants to expand the wizard's spell mastery so the elf will have more spells preped... but that feels like it should maybe be one of those subclasses

delericho

Legend
I'm afraid I'm not a fan of "race as class" in pretty much any form. Even with races that are just too powerful to play at level 1, I'd be inclined to model them as a weak variant that is then optionally enhanced either with a subclass or, probably better, a feat chain.

That said, in the case of the "Elf class" specifically, that is something I'd like to see added - the lack of a Mageblade/Eldritch Knight/whatever base class is something of an oversight, IMO. And what you have presented here looks like a good base for that - the major thing that I think is missing is a dedicated spell-list, which I think such a class really does need.

the major thing that I think is missing is a dedicated spell-list, which I think such a class really does need.
yup... in my perfect world it would have a list that was VERY similar to wizard but also have a few spells from other classes and like I said it's subclasses would open up more...

having said that I would most likely just be 'wizard'

the Jester

Legend
So you're taking the fighter chassis, slapping on eldritch knight subclass goodies, and adding in a few of the abilities available to other classes, including the rogues' signature ability, on top of it? I don't think this is balanced very well and I'm not sure how splashing in things like telepathy helps evoke the classic elf feel.

Race as class takes away from meaningful choices, so I'm not a big fan. The interaction of race and class is one of the big choice points in character creation.

So you're taking the fighter chassis, slapping on eldritch knight subclass goodies, and adding in a few of the abilities available to other classes, including the rogues' signature ability, on top of it? I don't think this is balanced very well and I'm not sure how splashing in things like telepathy helps evoke the classic elf feel.
well I was going for a a moble spell casting warrior, and yes I took both barbarian and rogue abilities, but I didn't give them everything a fighter gets (no second wind no action surge no indomitable) it is MORE a factor that the fighter doesn't have much going for it that ANY new class can be said to have 'it's chassis'.

I didn't even give it the full 4 attacks, and by the time you get your 3rd fighters are ready for there 4th.

as for giving 11+ telepathy I actually meant it as a joke cause LotR movies gave them all mind speak.
Race as class takes away from meaningful choices,
how?
The interaction of race and class is one of the big choice points in character creation.
yes, but as I have been told over and over again, people like simple.

Remove ads