Dragonlance Elmore's 'The Four Women of Dragonlance' Painting Is Finished

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it! http://www.larryelmore.com/store/FWOD/the-four-women-of-dragonlance

Back in February I mentioned that iconic D&D artist Larry Elmore was working on a new 'Women of Dragonlance' painting. Well, it's now finished! And you can buy a print of it!

THE FOUR WOMEN OF DRAGONLANCE.jpg

aco175

Legend
His website has the print for $30.00 if you click on the picture.

Overall I like it, but the woman's faces do not sit right somehow. They appear a bit angled or something. Maybe I'm mis-remembering the originals from my youth.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Were there only four (five) to paint? No wonder they’re having trouble updating things for modern tastes.

Elmore’s fantastic. Takes me back to the BECMI boxes.
No, there was also Mina in War of Souls, Crysania in Legends, Alhana Starbreeze in Chronicles, Usha Majere in Dragons of a Summer Flame (and War of Souls), quite a number of goddesses and named female dragons, several assorted daughters of the main cast including Linsha Majere who features in her own novels and in War of Souls, the Black Robed Mage Ladonna, and others I'm probably forgetting.

These are just the four who are the most main cast of main cast in the original books.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
not a super fan of it. I dont think it's as good as some of Elmore's classics. I do like the attire it just looks too stiff and not a fan of the straight on face of the dragon. Along with the copy paste feel of how the characters are positioned ( i know he uses photo reference for his poses} feels off on this painting more than others. It might be do to how there isn't any overlap between the characters because they're positioned so far apart.
The last part is the story being told isnt clear. It looks like goldmoon and tika are upset with laurana and she is mad about something and Kitiara is day dreaming not paying attention (really her part in this is what confuses the narrative I dont know what she is meant to be looking at).

It does bring back nostalgic memories and I will always like his paintings. It's good to see another painting of his and I did like how we were shown the process along the way.

Now it is the time when a nerd of the new generation asks when they are going to be skins in Fornite.

Now seriously, this picture is like come back to the past. I see them and then I notice how much I start to miss those loved characters.

Dragonlance will return, maybe even with its own videogame (and the option to add new characters). Other doubt is if the D&D multiverse allows the alternate timelines or parallel worlds, then what ideas will be published in DM Guild. The god Raitslin from the apocalypse future could travel to the past searching his half-irda daughter, or lord Sorth reappears in a new demiplane in the Krynn-shadowfell, a "clone domain" of Sithicus, and this is being explored by a mysterious expedition of the other alternate timeline from the short story “There is Another Shore, You Know, Upon the Other Side.” where the high-priest is the one deity. Maybe in other timeline Human could (live again,) marry and become the father of a new kindred of half-dragons.

In the book "Tanis the shadow years" a new concept is showed. Let's call it "akasha realm" or legendverse, a demiplane created by the memories. What if other characters could explore that demiplane to discover secrets from the past? For example where the threasure were hidden. Or to allow "isekai", people who read the story of the heroes of the Dragonlance and they "travel" to Krynn to live their own romance.

Dioltach

Legend
  • Tika, who joined the Heroes of the Lance late in their quest to stop Takhisis (the goddess of evil) from conquering the world.
  • Laurana, princess of the elven nation of Qualinost and one of the Heroes of the Lance.
Actually, Tika joined the Heroes shortly before Laurana did, after Solace was attacked but before the Heroes reach Qualinost.
That said...Why does Laurana look like a pissed off Stevie Nicks?
She's sad because the 80s are over. :(
Tika: barmaid-turned-fighter, specialized in the lost art of frying pan combat.
Shield-bashing, wasn't it? Her first fight she drops her sword and bashes a draconian to death with her shield, and later it's mentioned that she's turned shield-bashing into a fine art.

I'm actually preparing to run the original adventures (for 3.5E), and rewatched the animated Dragons of Autumn Twilight movie at the weekend.

No, there was also Mina in War of Souls, Crysania in Legends, Alhana Starbreeze in Chronicles, Usha Majere in Dragons of a Summer Flame (and War of Souls), quite a number of goddesses and named female dragons, several assorted daughters of the main cast including Linsha Majere who features in her own novels and in War of Souls, the Black Robed Mage Ladonna, and others I'm probably forgetting.

These are just the four who are the most main cast of main cast in the original books.

What is the name of that Black woman pirate who appears in some Dragonlance art?

I really like the Elmore art back in the 80ies, 90ies, but this whole picture looks seriously dated. Like it was painted 30-40 years ago... I know that it's been recently painted. But somehow it doesn't live up to today's art standards. Nice retro piece though. Though Laurana doesn't even look like Laurana. And I am really missing Chrysania here.

Remove ads

Remove ads