EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

Gulla

Adventurer
So many stories, so little time.

OK, so now I have 16 (15.5?) stories to read, and no time. Well, hopefully you'll slow down just a little, so I can read and comment soon. It seems that every time one of these comes up I get bogged down in lots of work and activities.

I will be back with comments.

Håkon

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Thorod Ashstaff said:
What part of the "dibs" concept are you not understanding? ;-)

(That siad, I think it's a great idea, but not until AFTER the final round...)

Dibs, schmibs. I see a good idea and I run with it. Half elves are much faster than dwarves the last time I looked. :)

Seriously, you can write it first, but I do think a spin-off is a good idea.

Last edited:

Dlsharrock

First Post
I just patented it. Now you guys have to use that little TM thing every time you write Curse of CDM. And I get major kickback on any spin-off merchandising, T-shirts, mugs, miniature novelty guillotines etc.

Time for a victory evil laugh I think
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa aha ah ahem

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Dlsharrock said:
I just patented it. Now you guys have to use that little TM thing every time you write Curse of CDM. And I get major kickback on any spin-off merchandising, T-shirts, mugs, miniature novelty guillotines etc.

Time for a victory evil laugh I think
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa aha ah ahem

Damn. I didn't see this coming. The same thing happened to me with the pet rock and the Rubik's Cube. :(

Match Five / Piratecat vs. Orchid Blossom

ARWINK’S JUDGMENT

Piratecat / How My Brother Stopped Listening to Rock and Roll

It took me a couple of minutes to warm to the voice of Piratecat’s story, but once I was in I was in for the long haul (and thank-you for letting the contractions in once you’d established the voice – you would have driven me crazy if they’d continued the entire length of the piece). Nice picture use, and the story itself does a great job of taking an old trope and making something new with it.

The only flaws I saw were basically minor quibbles: one, it feels like it’s missing a narrative beat – I wanted something in the middle of the story so there was a bridge between that first hint of what’s to come (…I asked for one like you. Young and blond and strong…) and the possession at the finale; two, the title, for me, doesn’t quite fit the story. Rock and roll isn’t prevalent enough to give the title weight (again, it probably needs a beat on this point in the middle of the story to bridge the first reference and the gloating statement at the end).

Orchid Blossom / Untitled

This is a nice, gentle story that manages to use its micro focus on the central character to reflect and hint at a much larger story. The voice is suited to the style of the piece – mythic in tone, hinting at a world that’s slowly coming into focus – and any real critiques I’d offer about the story would largely be aimed at tightening the prose (which, given the time-frame of Ceramic DM, is an accomplishment).

That said, I find myself a little ish-ish when it comes to the story. It does many things right, it has an internal consistency that works to its favor, but I don’t find myself getting excited about it. The crux of narrative largely comes down to a character making a moral choice, and that choice is at its most satisfying when it’s being made by our protagonist. I’m not sure I see that big choice being made here (though certainly there has been one made prior to the story beginning), and thus I feel like I’m left adrift in the serenity and beauty of the voice. Despite the attempt to close the narrative loop with the priestesses death, this feels like it’s the beginning of something longer rather than a self-contained story in its own right.

Judgment

This is a tough round to call – both the stories are strong, make good use of the pictures, and they’re very diverse in their approach. Similarly, both have but one or two things that I’d look at tweaking to really give the story more weight. I’m largely going to go with my gut on this one and give it to Piratecat on the strength of the more immediate satisfaction it provides – Orchid Blossom’s tale will linger, but I think it’s potential and strengths are really going to become apparent if the story is given more time to breath and flesh itself out than Ceramic DM provides.

THE JUDGMENT OF HERREMANN THE WISE

This was probably my favourite set of pictures for round one and neither of the stories disappointed. Piratecat has seamlessly incorporated the images into a completely engrossing recounting while Orchid Blossom has taken the meat from the pictures and spun an intriguing and profound tale of the afterlife.

Orchid Blossom’s effort was something I sat down with and enjoyed from start to finish. I knew the pictures had the potential to bring a certain profundity to the competition and Orchid Blossom has realised this very nicely. In some ways, I wish there had have been more time and space, but that is most likely me being a selfish reader, wishing to luxuriate in Orchid Blossom’s words and ideas. However, in real terms, the pace was more than likely spot on for this competition. A well constructed piece.

Ok, Piratecat’s Indiana Jones style effort was a fantastic story that had me hooked throughout. I was completely sucked into the story and could not turn away until its final twist. I think what’s worth noting here is the level of polish Piratecat has been able to apply in such an abbreviated space of time. It reads incredibly well and does everything that I think the writer was trying to accomplish. Excellent foundation, fantastic fluency and perhaps most importantly, a great read.

Judgment: While there were many things I loved about both stories, Piratecat gets my vote this time with a truly fantastic and polished story.

MALDUR’S JUDGMENT

Orchid, I was confused after reading your story. It was unclear to me what actually happened, It reads either unfinished, or like a vignette for a world that is very well known, so the details are left out. Yet I dont know the world. You have done better in the past.
Piratecat with an indianajones/chtulhu inspired story. Nice twist at the end, I didnt see that coming. Oddly enough you made the badguy, "nice"
though he is doing and saying horrible things.

Judgement: Piratecat

FINAL JUDGMENT

Piratecat seems to have the favour of the judges for this match. Congratulations to both our competitors on a pair of stellar performances.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Many congrats to Piratecat, who wrote a hell of a story this round. :)

Unlike many people, I find Ceramic DM getting harder and harder for me instead of easier. I tend to have no idea whatsoever for a plot until after about two days, then have to hurry to get the skeleton written at all.

I'm pleased with the piece overall. I managed to avoid overdoing the explaining (to the point of underdoing it for some), give up my love of naming anything and everything, and kept it short.

And of course, everyone who feels this belongs as part of something larger, it probably does. The biggest challenge for me in this contest is thinking in short story terms. Even in my creative writing classes in college my "short stories" were usually chapters of something longer. I think in terms of character rather than plot, and character takes time.

tadk

Explorer
Berandor said:
Some (really short) notes on what I've read so far:

tadk:
[sblock]I really like the idea of your "story", but to me it didn't really work. When I get drawn into this strange fugue world where your normal stories live, I sometimes wish for a little more structure. This, however, was too structured, too matter-of-factly for me. I didn't feel dread, or surprise or some other typical CDM emotion.[/sblock]

Thanks Berandor
I really was strapped for an idea, and the odd ideas didnt even come into my head
I appreciate the kind comment, yes it was a huge difference for me. Really that is my business writing voice in CDM so I was kinda hoping for the shock factor to drive a road block into my esteemed competitor's avalanche of victories over me.
It actually flowed out, I wrote the first few hundred words day 1, the rest all flowed out all too easily in like 3 hours before I posted the story. So that was easier on me than usual.
So working on a new SF sort of story that I started last night, so madness is coming around the bend again.
Again GL to all the other competitors.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
orchid blossom said:
I'm pleased with the piece overall. I managed to avoid overdoing the explaining (to the point of underdoing it for some), give up my love of naming anything and everything, and kept it short.

And of course, everyone who feels this belongs as part of something larger, it probably does. The biggest challenge for me in this contest is thinking in short story terms. Even in my creative writing classes in college my "short stories" were usually chapters of something longer. I think in terms of character rather than plot, and character takes time.
I thought you did wonderfully. It's a piece I absolutely don't think I could have written, and you should be proud of it.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my story. Some of the feedback is very accurate in my opinion, including Rodrigo's analysis of my strengths and weaknesses in past performances. I think I'm getting better; I don't think I could have written this story two years ago. This competition is doing a fantastic job of identifying my weak points and helping me learn to strengthen them.

I thought about not doing the body-stealing at the end, as it seemed a little traditional. I couldn't help myself, though. I had worked in some foreshadowing I really loved, and I liked the story title too much to change it. Better to end on a climax instead of an anticlimax, I figure. I think it worked, although - like all my endings - it was a little too abrupt.

Anyways, I look forward with great eagerness to the next round.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
orchid blossom said:
Unlike many people, I find Ceramic DM getting harder and harder for me instead of easier. I tend to have no idea whatsoever for a plot until after about two days, then have to hurry to get the skeleton written at all.

One of my friends has a theory that writing should get harder, rather than easier. It means you're getting more discerning when you judge your own writing, that you're pushing yourself to try new things rather than relying on familiar techniques, and generally evolving into a better writer.

All in all, I think it's a terribly sensible way of thinking about things.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
arwink said:
One of my friends has a theory that writing should get harder, rather than easier. It means you're getting more discerning when you judge your own writing, that you're pushing yourself to try new things rather than relying on familiar techniques, and generally evolving into a better writer.

All in all, I think it's a terribly sensible way of thinking about things.

Well, it makes it less painful if it seems like you're going in the right direction. I know that the older (and theoretically wiser) I get, the less I seem to know, and the less often I'm really pleased with my art or my writing.

I plan to comment on the other entries after all of them are judged. So far some really great odd writing in this round.

It's hard to be done though...

Remove ads