Encounter question from an aspiring DM...

Grossout

First Post
Thanks for the info so far folks. Okay, what about outdoor environments? "As you walk north, you see what appears to be a small party of 3 or 4 humanoids about 300 yards ahead. What do you do?" Does that sound about how you would explain the very beginnings of an outdoor encounter? If so, where do you go from there?

I DMed BECMI D&D since junior high and moved to 3e when it came out. In all the years before 3e I did not use a grid and miniatures. It was all verbally described and the players trusted me to make quick, reasonable decisions on stuff like "How many can I get in a Fireball?" They could always argue the point within reason if they thought I was off-base.

With 3e it seemed more important to use minis and a grid and at first I did that, but eventually both I and a fellow DM (he was a player in my game and I a player in his) wound up deciding on a case-by-case base whether a combat needed a grid or not. Whenever it wasn't necessary, things went much faster and it felt less like playing chess or a board game. We definitely preferred that. But when things were more complex, with many combatants, complex terrain, etc., we usually did use a grid because it was worth it to make sure everyone was on the same page in terms of location. Most often, this was for the big climactic battles where things were not only more complex but more deadly, so that people wanted to make sure they knew exactly where things were going on.

My suggestion to you is to start out using the grid for all combats (but not outside of combat, as others have indicated is not necessary). After gaining some experience adjudicating combat, you should be able to get a feel for whether and when you can dispense with the grid (this will also depend on your players' attitudes). Maybe you will always want the grid (maybe we all will for 4e given the emphasis on shifts, slides, pulls, and movement related powers and attacks). Maybe you will never need or want it. Maybe you'll find that you can reserve it for climactic, complicated battles.

In any event, good luck!

Belphanior

First Post
I'd personally ask for some more information.

* What are the surroundings like? Forest, plains, road, farmland? And time of day.
* Can we make out more detail? Are they standing still, coming at us, or moving away from us? Can I see what they wear and maybe what race(s) they are? (Perception check probably required.)
* How hostile is this area we're in anyway?

And so on. Other than that, yeah. Not sure if I'd break out the grid and mini's just yet - it's 180 squares!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If you don't want to spend lots of money on minis you can use Firey Dragon's counters -- they're pieces of cardboard with pictures on them. You can get many more counters for your buck than minis. Both FD's and WotC's, as well as the GameMastery floor tiles are great, and not too expensive as well.

BUT, put me in the camp that will reccomend that you use them as little as possible. Set 'em up only for combats, and only for ones in which there will be alot of tactical movement. The ranger sniping a lone goblin lookout, a pickpocket in the town market, that sort of thing, don't use it.

Also, BIG BIG fights (like a seige of a castle where the party holds the wall) are often best without figures too.

Try to use description as much as possible. I even prefer to only set up the map AFTER round one (or at least the surprise round) so your players get a good mental image of what's going on before they are distracted by the figures.

When you play with figures, and you look back on the fight, you remember it from a detached, birds-eye-view. When you don't use figures, you remember it as if you were there, staring into the gaping stench-filled maw of the dragon as it sucks in wind to breath fire on you again...

Fitz

Grossout

First Post
I'm bringing this thread back for one last question...

I don't really understand how dungeon tiles are used. Once again, are they only used for combat encounters? If so, do you just create the room the battle is taking place with the tiles, trying to replicate its dimensions and features the best you can? They seem neat and all, I just don't really get it - seems like it would take a long time to set up in the middle of the game...

(contact)

Explorer
Grossout said:
I don't really understand how dungeon tiles are used. Once again, are they only used for combat encounters? If so, do you just create the room the battle is taking place with the tiles, trying to replicate its dimensions and features the best you can? They seem neat and all, I just don't really get it - seems like it would take a long time to set up in the middle of the game...

Yes, that's how you use them. They don't take very long to set up. Occasionally, if I have a extra cool non combat scene, I might set up minis on dungeon tiles, just so everyone can get a sense of the room.

Leading up to a fight, I usually describe the events immediately prior to the enounter, including whatever the PCs might have been able to see before fur flies. At this point I'll set out the room counters. For a more complex room it might take a few seconds, but usually this happens quickly.

While I'm setting up the room, my 'second' (a player I've appointed) gets everyone's initiative and writes it down on a set of cards. These become my initiative counters. I know some DMs who take initiative for the next fight right after a fight, in order not to have to stop the game to get initiative just before a fight. This is a good method to help you maintain dramatic tension, but my group really gets in to competing with each other to see who wins initiative, so you know, why spoil their fun.

I indicate the general area where the PCs may begin the fight, and let them place themselves as they see fit. If there were things said as part of the previous scene that contradict their placement (i.e. the wizard was searching the pool, but wants to start combat behind the fighters) I will adjust them accordingly, and explain why.
The only time I'll place the whole group of PCs is in the case of total surprise and ambush.

Once the PCs are sorted (or during, depending on how quick it goes) I'll set up the bad guys they can see and make a mental note of where the Better Guys (the ones they can't) are.

For me, it's not necessarily critical to set the PCs up first. It is critical not to place the monsters they can't see.

From there, proceed through the initiative order until you are either out of monsters or PCs.

What you'll find is that your group will just hit a rhythm with these shifts from open-ended actions to combat, and it will become a very small part of what taxes your brain. You'll get a sense for how altering your routine might make subtle suggestions and/or ramp up the tension. Use the meta-game as your tool, but use it subtly.

Congrats on taking the leap! You'll soon realize DMing is the most fun job at the table! Remember-- your job is making sure the players have a good time, all the while appearing to do your damndest to kill them. :) If they are laughing, smiling and shouting, you did a great job, regardless of whether you do it like I do, or how the books suggest.

Last edited:

Grossout said:
I suppose tiles can be fast if they already match what you need. Many people use a wet/dry erase battlemat with gridlines. Sometimes you have to stop and draw it, which can be a big tension-killer but if it's already known what the place should look like and it's not sudden (e.g. the party lays an ambush, or goes to a known locale for a fight) it's not necessarily so bad. If you know where the fight will happen you can also pre-draw on the mat (or pre arrange as much as possible some tiles) and then bring them out or uncover them for instant use. If you don't know what/where they will fight, this can be difficult or impossible to pre-arrange, and then you're back to the slowdown problem. Another reason why, if possible, it may be best to just use imagination and DM adjudication if possible.

Remove ads