Level Up (A5E) End the 5 minute work-day by making all classes work off short rests.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Above and beyond all else I would like to see the end of the 5 minute work-day by making all classes based around short rests. Every class should regain class features on a short rest.

This post from this thread seems like a good start for spellcasters.

I would prefer on long rests because 1-hours short rests are a little wonky to justify in a day. That's vhy I do 5 minutes short rests, max 2 short rests per long rest.

But I agree with the sentiment.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Rests need to not simply be "we decide to avoid forced march & sleep for the night" too. There's all sorts of ways to correct the problem but having some classes be long rest dependent while others rely on short rests makes it needlessly complicated & throws sand in the gears of what should be an easy fix

Xeviat

Hero
I would prefer short rests if they were like 10-15 mins, but that wouldn't be compatible with everything. Plus, as much as I love short rest recovery (4E, my long lost love ...), Long rests may feel more D&D. Resource management is a big part of D&D.

It's a struggle. Daily makes designing adventures easy, but only if everything has a time constraint. Short short rests (assumed to be after every fight, unless it's a gauntlet) are easy to design for too. 1 hour short rests are very hard; it either has to be 2 medium or one deadly between each short rest, or 3-4 easy, which constrains adventure design.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'd rather eliminate the 5-minute workday by using the rules for "gritty realism" in the DMG. Short rests = 8 hours, Long rests = 1 week. Resource management becomes a lot more important, and natural healing makes a little bit more sense. The decision to "go nova" in an encounter becomes a lot more important, and not to be made lightly. The party will be a lot less likely to take a long rest after each battle if they know it will cause them to fail their mission (or die of old age).

But this is more a matter of preference for the campaign and pacing. It's not really an "advanced" option for 5E.

while we are at it, make short rest a SHORT rest.

1hr is not a short rest.

If you can manage to get hour of downtime from combat in 99% of the cases you can get 8 hrs of down time.

5-15mins is a short rest.
A couple jobs I've had have mandated 1 hour lunches. Never mind that I can walk over to the cafeteria, get and eat lunch, and be back in a half hour. (In places where I bring my lunch, it's closer to 15 minutes.) What do I do with the other half hour? Dunno, not our problem, but by God you better not try to work during that time.

Back when I was doing sports in high school, even after a couple hours of exercise, cool down and stretching and recovery was under a half hour. Needing a full hour of rest just feels wrong, unless you're including hanging out and going home. Which isn't really in the same category as "short rest".

Overall, I can see a half hour being enough, with a little buffer built in. An hour is just way too much. 15 minutes is kinda OK, though it does feel a little short if you're including hit dice usage. Any sort of activity that I can imagine doing feels like 30 minutes is more than adequate to recover from physical exertion.

For a PHB example, a monk recovers his ki on a short rest, requiring 30 minutes of meditation. That seems to imply that 30 minutes is adequate for a short rest.

You always have the option to spend more time, if you want to do other stuff, but reducing the minimum from 1 hr to 30 minutes should be perfectly reasonable.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases