• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Endless Attack Option for Casters: Mana Spark

Wystan

Explorer
I was thinking - I LARP and recently the LARP that I play introduced a skill for casters that equates to a Zero Level Spell. This costs Zero Mana and only requires a fitting Verbal. I think Translating it to D&D would help casters a Lot.

New Feat
Mana Spark
Ability to Cast 1st Rank Divine or Arcane Spells
Once per Round the Character may make a Ranged Touch attack, if they succeed they do 1 Point of Magic Damage to the Target.
Character must be able to speak and gesture.
SR Negates
Overcomes DR 1/magic

Fluff:
The caster is using pure force of will to burn the target with mana. This takes no spell slots and uses up none of the casters daily potential. User does not need to have any remaining spell slots to use this ability.

Last edited:

udalrich

First Post
This seems rather like a spell, which usually ignores DR. You also need to specify the caster level for SR, which is probably the caster level in the class that qualifies them for the feat. Does it provoke AoO?

That said, it's weak for a feat. I might consider it if I was playing a first level caster and knew we weren't getting to second level. If I have any semi-appropriate spell left, that's certainly going to be better than doing this. Shooting my cross bow is going to be better, unless we're fighting something in full plate.

By second or third level, the damage is so small that it won't affect the outcome of a battle, except in really unusual circumstances.

It might be something useful to give casters for free or in association with some ability (that's strong enough on it's own), but it's way too weak to be worth a feat.

This has already been done much better by the Reserve Feats in Complete Mage/Champion. If you're really set on this as an option, here's a reworded version.

Cantrip Assault
Requirement: Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells.
Benefit: As a Standard Action, the caster produces a small amount of arcane energy and hurls it at a target within 60 feet. Make a ranged touch attack, if successful, the target takes 1d3 points of electrical damage. This is a spell-like ability that is the equivalent of a 0-Level spell whose caster level equals the character's hit dice. Unlike most spell-like abilities, Arcane Spell Failure applies and you cannot score critical hits with Cantrip Assault's damage.

This way, it bypasses DR but is effected by SR. Still a terrible feat, but it's getting more useful.

-TRRW

milo

First Post
I would make it at least a d2 or d3. Sure it would negate the usefulness of 0 level offensive spells, but who uses those anyways. Another option would be to make a feat chain for it. Maybe make it so you could dump one spell into it for the day to power it and give it diferent dice or bonus damage based on that. Give it a D2+1 for a first, D3+2 for a second and so on.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Wait, you're all missing the true power of this feat: unlimited range. You could inflict one point of magical damage on the moon every six seconds! Until there is no more moon! My god, the raw magical might!

Cheers, -- N

PS: Yeah, check out the [Reserve] feats in Complete Mage. :)

DogBackward

First Post
I wouldn't really see a problem with Close range, 1d4 damage, +1d4 damage per three levels of the highest level spell you have available to cast. Change it to pure arcane damage (no resistances apply), and you've got a feat that's actually worth taking.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
This is like... the best mosquito zapper ever. Screw waiting for them to come inside flyswatter range, or wasting a 1st level spell on burning hands. Just point and zap. If you miss... meh, wait six seconds, try again.

And yeah, at first level, this+binoculars= never have to fight. Find a wizard= 24 seconds average until he's down. 1st level Fighter w/ 16 Con= 78 seconds.

Remove ads