D&D 5E Enhancing "Ghosts of Saltmarsh"

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
A mistake I just noticed: The compass in the insert to map 3.1 (Danger at Dunwater, p. 71) incorrectly points toward the left side of the page, when it should point up, just like the larger map (north = up, basically.) In other words, C corresponds to Area 22, D to Area 1, and E to area 49.

Last edited:

Any advice on how to handle the Lizardfolk aboard the Sea Ghost in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh? We have a Draconic-speaking Sorcerer in the party, and I don't want to spoil the next part of the adventure by having the Lizardfolk explain their intentions to the party, which seems all the more likely considering they're non-hostile and don't join in the fighting.
Just make them angry and ill disposed towards humans. One of them might be particularly hot-headed and attack just before it's compatriot explains. Or maybe their elders haven't told them what the weapons are for.

If you have a lizardfolk or similar species (e.g. dragonborn, tortle) in the party, or they are Starfleet, then Danger at Dunwater is likely to just be a negotiation anyway.

One way to make Dunwater more challenging is have the party accompanied by a representative of the town who is secretly a sahaugan spy physically altered to appear human (they do that).

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Any advice on how to handle the Lizardfolk aboard the Sea Ghost in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh? We have a Draconic-speaking Sorcerer in the party, and I don't want to spoil the next part of the adventure by having the Lizardfolk explain their intentions to the party, which seems all the more likely considering they're non-hostile and don't join in the fighting.
When I ran the adventure, the lizardfolks fled by jumping into the water from their cabin, once they realized that a full-scale attack was going on.

I also made tre pseudodragon a prisoner if the smugglers. For me it didn't make much sense that it would bond with someone who had slayed its former master.

Any advice on how to handle the Lizardfolk aboard the Sea Ghost in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh?

Good question. I was puzzling over this too, in my current game, because we have a dragonborn PC. I was imagining that from the Lizardfolk perspective, humans may be a potential enemy even more terrifying than the sahuagin. They may be loath to let the humans know that they are threatened from another direction because this makes them vulnerable to human depredations. ("It would be just like those savage mammals to strike us from behind!") These couriers may be under strict orders to keep silent about the true nature of the threat.

Just make them angry and ill disposed towards humans. One of them might be particularly hot-headed and attack just before it's compatriot explains. Or maybe their elders haven't told them what the weapons are for.

I like this too. They may mistake the PCs for rival smugglers or some other faction.

One way to make Dunwater more challenging is have the party accompanied by a representative of the town who is secretly a sahaugan spy physically altered to appear human (they do that).

This could be a lot of fun.

When I ran the adventure, the lizardfolks fled by jumping into the water from their cabin, once they realized that a full-scale attack was going on.

I would also have them jump ship fairly early to prevent too much conversation. Just enough to create confusion and misunderstandings.

I also made the pseudodragon a prisoner if the smugglers. For me it didn't make much sense that it would bond with someone who had slayed its former master.

This bothered me too, though I could see it working in a certain system of martial honor that might make sense for draconic/reptilian cultures. This would make for an interesting personality for the pseudodragon: loyal as long as its master is courageous and victorious in battle.

Prakriti

I ran “The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh” recently and noticed more than a few editing and design issues, most of which were cleared up by reading the original module. Not only does the reprint make a few editing mistakes but, for whatever reason, it also leaves out useful or vital information on occasion. For example:

1. I had a hard time understanding the house’s position in relation to the sea and the height of the cliffs on which it stood. The original module includes a sentence that is apparently missing from the reprint: “The Haunted House stands on the cliff top 70 feet above sea level and about 80 feet from the cliff edge.” This is useful information that IMO should have been included in the reprint.

2. Ned Shakeshaft and his merchant benefactor’s actions make no sense, as I detailed in this thread. It would make much more sense for Ned to warn the smugglers that the party is coming and set up an ambush. As it turns out, however, the original module includes a paragraph explaining why this is not possible:

Unfortunately for the merchant, he does not know how to contact the smugglers at short notice -- Sanbalet (the smugglers' leader) always initiates their infrequent meetings and never arranges for them to take place in the House. Thus the merchant knows the smugglers' base is somewhere in the House but has never been able to find it. Planting [Ned] in one of the upstairs rooms was the best plan he could conceive at short notice.”

Even so, I find the merchant’s plan so ridiculous that I decided to remove Ned from the adventure (you can find my reasoning at the other thread).

3. This isn't the fault of the adventure, but I wasn’t sure how to run the two encounters with spider swarms, so I asked ENWorld posters for some help. Out of curiosity, I checked the original module and discovered that it doesn't even include swarms: It makes use of giant rats and giant spiders instead, which seem like viable alternatives for anyone who has similar problems with running spider swarm encounters. (Note: I ended up using the swarms and was happy with how the encounters turned out.)

4. The alchemist’s “philosopher’s stone” is pretty lame. No one in their right mind would attune to it without identifying it first (how would anyone even know that attuning to it was an option in the first place?). Not surprisingly, the original module handles this situation much better than the reprint: The cursed stone automatically attunes to whoever touches it first.

Also, I took this curse one step further in my own game. Not only could the attuned character not get rid of the stone, they couldn’t even let go of it. They could only swap it between their hands or pass it off onto someone else.

5. Ghosts of Saltmarsh lists the Sea Ghost as having a crew of 7 bandits, but mentions 9 in the adventure text. According to the original module, there should be 8. This means that the Ghosts version of the Sea Ghost has 1 more bandit than it should. The mistake occurs in Area 11, which Ghosts of Saltmarsh incorrectly lists as having 4 bandits when there should only be 3 (according to the original module).

That's it. I hope this helps anyone running the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh in the future. Overall, I think it’s a very good adventure, but I do wish WotC had taken a little more care in porting it over to 5E.

Last edited:

Prakriti

What do you all think of the Open Waters encounter tables? I'm thinking of replacing some of the more boring encounters, such as sharks and sea horses, with something more interesting. Or maybe someone can tell me how to make these encounters interesting to a party traveling by sea? Because I'm not sure what to do with, say, killer whales beyond telling the party that they spot some fins in the water. If I'm going to roll an encounter, I'd rather it were a little more momentous (such as a pirate ship, a sahuagin boarding party, or a disease-carrying merchant ship).

Because I'm not sure what to do with, say, killer whales beyond telling the party that they spot some fins in the water.
There is nothing wrong with having the occasional sightseeing encounter. Not everything has to be a fight.

Killer whales? They are quite intelligent, and might have useful information if someone uses Speak With Animals.

Plus, they are awesome.

jasper

Rotten DM
Killer Whale AC 13 HP 25 +15 perception +10 to deception. Treasure 1,000 GP. Killer Whale is a professional gambler and will gamble on anything. They are well know about crazy bets. Like Which pc would drop in a bar fight. How many flies you can feed a sleeping dwarf. If a fly will land on which foaming beer.
Reason he is floating in the ocean?
He bet he be picked up before he died!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases