D&D 5E Enhancing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)

cmad1977

Hero
Agreed with cmad, I think avoiding a potentially deadly encounter is an appropriate reward for spotting the ambush, screwing them over because of it would seem punitive. You'll have plenty of opportunities to spring deadly ambushes on the party down the road ;)

I just read this. Yeah, there will be plenty of chances to kill the heroes.

cmad1977

Hero
Ok. Encountered a bit of a problem. We've just gotten to Castle Naerytar. I've been giving xp in the standard way, not using the milestone system. However, now the heroes are 4th level and by the end of the castle they are supposed to be 6th.
Clearly I haven't given them enough encounters on the way north or scaled my granting of RP XP with their levels.

Are you guys using the milestone system? I feel like the adventure doesn't say you need to use the milestone system, but isn't designed to NOT use it.

Onslaught

Explorer
CMAD,

Questions:
*Have you done every encounter on Chapters 1-3?
*Did your players complete most quests that give extra XP (like leading many NPCs to the keep, saving NPCs from the Church, finding the 3 dragon eggs)?
*How many encounters / side quests have you done during the caravan travel?
*How many PCs do you have?

I did some math at home and using only what the adventure provides (but using all of it) and the players being successful at side quests, if you have 4 players they should be Lvl 4 after the Hatchery (instead of Lvl 3, which is the milestone way).

By the way, how many sessions (and how long were they) until you get to Castle Naerytar?

vandaexpress

First Post
Ok. Encountered a bit of a problem. We've just gotten to Castle Naerytar. I've been giving xp in the standard way, not using the milestone system. However, now the heroes are 4th level and by the end of the castle they are supposed to be 6th.
Clearly I haven't given them enough encounters on the way north or scaled my granting of RP XP with their levels.

Are you guys using the milestone system? I feel like the adventure doesn't say you need to use the milestone system, but isn't designed to NOT use it.

I switched to milestone after the Hunting Lodge when I realized my PCs would be going into Skyreach at level 6. Knowing that they were going to be fighting a vampire and an adult white dragon, I made the transition, handwaved everyone to 7th level, and haven't looked back since.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
You want to use the milestone system. Rise of Tiamat assumes the milestone system (unless you create a lot of extra encounters).

Cheers!

Onslaught

Explorer
Hey MerricB, first and foremost congratulations and thanks on your articles about HotDQ - they're great!!

I don't have RoT, but I've read quite a few reviews and articles... The way characters level up seems quite fast, every chapter plus every attack from the cult. In fact it doesn't seem enought encounters to level up, even if the level up pace gets faster after lvl 11... However, the adventure doesn't give info on how to award extra XP for the roleplaay parts (council) so the DM can use normal XP instead of milestones?

I get from HOtDQ that the extra XP from side quests (rescue NPCs and stuff) are pretty high and help characters archive or surpass intended level for the chapters - at least at the adventure beginning, but I'm pretty sure this works all the way to chapter 8... I thought RoT would give similar awards to players, so the DM could keep on normal XP distribution, even if it meant reviewing some encounters (probably making them more difficult, since I have a feeling characters and end HotDQ at Lvl 9+)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Re RoT, the beginning section of the book does offer quite a few suggestions and hooks for side quests, so presumably someone who wanted to level characters the XP-per-monster way could use those to make sure the party gets enough XP. But it would take a lot longer than the milestone method, and it would take some extra work to flesh out the extra encounters.

pukunui

Legend
Here's something interesting: In the old AD&D 2e Cult of the Dragon sourcebook, there's a small section on the Church of Tiamat. It starts off by saying that the church (and Tiamat herself) are little known outside of the Old Empires, but that since the Time of Troubles, Tiamat has felt the need to spread her faith beyond Unther. One way in which she has begun doing that (this is circa 1370 DR) is to infiltrate and co-opt individual Cult of the Dragon cells. Her hope is that the more cultists she wins over, the stronger she'll get and the better she'll be able to take over the bigger cells.
Further to this, it would appear that Severin's divinely-inspired hunt for the dragon masks is not the first time Tiamat has meddled with a leader of the Cult of the Dragon. According to 3.5's Dragons of Faerûn, Tiamat also subtly guided Sammaster - the original founder of the cult - in his research on the ancient Dracorage mythal - the permanent epic spell that the ancient elves wove that periodically causes dragons to go berserk. Sammaster succeeded in finding the mythal's capstone (which may have been located near the North Pole, from what I've been able to gather) and corrupt the spell, sending Faerûn's dragons into an ever-intensifying, unending dracorage. His plan was to force all the mighty dragons to accept the transformation into dracoliches or become permanently insane.

At first, this seems counterintuitive to Tiamat's plans. However, I have a feeling she knew he would ultimately be defeated ... and sure enough, a band of adventurers killed Sammaster before his plans could come to fruition. However, they *also* permanently destroyed the mythal, which was no doubt Tiamat's ultimate aim ... because with that spell gone, it meant she could usher in a new Reign of Dragons (the mythal was designed to end the last one, which lasted for six millennia).

Unfortunately for Tiamat, the Spellplague struck a mere decade later. Her homebase of Unther got messed up. Her main guy on the ground, Tchazzar, got imprisoned in the Shadowfell and then got himself killed shortly after making it back to Faerûn. Meanwhile, Bahamut - whose presence in Faerûn had been almost non-existent after his Untheric avatar Marduk was slain a few millennia before - got promoted to a major deity for humanoids (in 4e).

So it was back to the drawing board for Tiamat.

Basically, the point is, the Tyranny of Dragons storyline is *not* an aberration in Realmslore. It is *not* just a copy of the War of the Lance or whatever. It is the culmination of something that's been a long time coming, the seeds of which were planted at least as far back as the publication of the 2e book, Cult of the Dragon, and which were furthered in 3e's Dragons of Faerûn.

cmad1977

Hero
[MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] [MENTION=61011]Onslaught[/MENTION] [MENTION=6790472]vandaexpress[/MENTION]

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

After reading your feedback I'm going to level everyone to 5(they are currently 4th and just outside caske Naerytar). Then we will be doing a milestone variant wherein at milestone points the heroes will gain as much xp as would take them from one level to the next. I feel like this will allow them to partake in actions outside of the scope of the module(personal side quests/RP/ general poop throwing that PCs get up to) and be rewarded for it too.

To do straight up classic xp style I think chapter 4 needs to be loaded with encounters( mine had some, but clearly not enough) and encounters that don't result in combat need to provide a significant amount of xp per player. I was basing my awarding of xp on some of the earlier guidelines for chapter 2(ie: 300 xp for various actions taken/RP stuff). Unfortunately by level 4 splitting 300 xp 5 ways turns into next to nothing.

I'm still shaking off the DM rust.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases