• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EnWorlders of Color

Yellow Sign

Explorer
I am half German, Quarter English, Quarter Scots!

My dad and his family are from Tennessee and one of my ancestors fought with Crockett at the Alamo!

I'm black. My mother is from Trinidad, my father from Barbados. I have some Spanish background. My half-brother (related to my mother) has Indian blood (both types!).

Brian Chalian

First Post
shilsen said:
In short, I'm technically a person of color - lots of them!

This is gonna sound stupid, but... what's the difference between a "person of color" and the old term "colored person"? No one I've talked to has been able to explain it. :(

heirodule

First Post
Brian Chalian said:
This is gonna sound stupid, but... what's the difference between a "person of color" and the old term "colored person"? No one I've talked to has been able to explain it. :(

Its a "PC" ism.

"Person of Color", like "person with disability" puts the emphasis on "person", and thereby the common humanity of the person.

But then the person seeks to group himself with those that share a (completely arbitrary) characteristic that excludes them from only one other racial grouping: caucasian, which is rather questionable.

Also "colored people" was what dominant white society called blacks. "person of color" is what right-thinking liberal and non-caucasian society calls non-"whites".

But it doesn't matter if you are white (excluded from people of color) and offended by it, because nobody cares.

talinthas

First Post
I'm an indian, as my avatar suggests, though i'm pretty much a full blown american =)

(though i'm still an orthodox hindu vegetarian, but i live in california, so its ok :) )

As for color, i'm brown, my girlfriend is as white as they come (blond, blue eyes, 6ft tall...), and my friends range the spectrum, with more emphasis on asians, since this is california. You just kinda stop noticing after a while. Though i'll admit, i got a ton of funny looks at gencon, both from the gamers, and the locals in wisconsin =)

Is pasty white a color?

As for Magellan, he must have been a really big guy for it to be enough of him to go around for all of the ancestors people claim that ate him.

(what?)

You know what I mean.

AR

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Brian Chalian said:

There was a very funny Bloom County comic with Steve arguing with his parent about the same distinction.

Man I miss Bloom County. Calvin and Hobbes too.

Scorpio

First Post
Nothing interesting here- Brit-Irish with a dash of middle eastern pigment, and NOBODY can tell me where that came from!

ConnorSB

First Post
I'm 2/8ths irish, 1/8 sweedish, 1/8th scotish, 1/8 welsh, and 3/8 english. Which makes me white-ish red-ish. Leave it to the Irish to turn red when they tan.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads