D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Lucifer (1 of 3), Falling Angel

Today’s entry in Epic Monsters isn’t the most epic yet, but it’s on its way there: a portrait of modern religion’s greatest villain as he plummets from the heavens, that dastardly falling angel Lucifer! This is the first if three increasingly powerful builds: Falling, Fallen, and Lord of Hell.

Today’s entry in Epic Monsters isn’t the most epic yet, but it’s on its way there: a portrait of modern religion’s greatest villain as he plummets from the heavens, that dastardly falling angel Lucifer! This is the first if three increasingly powerful builds: Falling, Fallen, and Lord of Hell.

lucifer falling angel DnD 5e BANNER.jpg

First off the bat: Lucifer happens to also be what the Greeks called the planet Venus (well, Phosphoros, but that’s basically the same thing). Just want to toss that out there because usually this is where I’d talk about the character as he appears in the Bible because that’s the biggun, but I’m not as familiar with the scripture as I was when my folks left the church (over two decades ago?) and frankly we all know the basics here: this was one of Heaven’s golden boys until he turned on the celestial host and was cast out to suffer in (and lord over) Hell.

More importantly though Morrus requested Lucifer and the archangel Michael, but looking at the angels and fiends in the core rules the designers pretty adequately covered that ground. They’ve got a whole book of master of hell statblocks (also EN5ider has plenty of celestial/fiend goodies). I positively hate to disappoint however so instead we’re going to do a three-parter that considers stages of corruption, the first of which is the falling angel (today’s entry) with the next being the fallen angel (in 2 weeks), and then finally the devil at the height of his power. Or treat them as Lucifer, Satan, and Beelzebub. I legitimately cannot keep track of all the deviations christianity takes with this guy—it’s pretty ridiculous. Seminarians please chime in.

Design Notes: Since this is a falling angel it makes sense to start with one. I went with the deva because when he was cast out Lucifer was fairly high up in the hierarchy. I figure the commander of the angels Michael is a planetar or solar—whatever the archangel is, during the War of Heaven he’s bigger than a CR 12. With that in mind the Angelic Weapons trait has changed to necrotic and been upped a bit, the suite of innate spells have been altered to start falling in line with the evil bewitching trickster he’s to become, tacked on a little shadow love, improved Change Shape, and most importantly introduced some life-draining attacks. With critical hits from the greatsword and Soulsucking Touch (which would be brutal for a lone warrior or someone held captive) Lucifer here can force himself some converts.

Let’s do the numbers! The DMG chart lands Lucifer I/Falling Angel at a solid 11 (9prof+10ac+15hp+11atk+10dam+11save=66/6) but the very excellent Monster Manual numbers-derived Blog of Holding rubric slotted him up at a 13.166667 (15ac+19hp+8atk+13dam+12dc+12save=79/6) so he averages at 12. For a ‘starting journey’ Satan that feels about right to me. For a CR 14 version, increase this statblock’s AC to 19 and increase saving throws, skills, attack bonuses, and DCs by +1.

Lucifer I (Falling Angel)
Medium celestial (falling angel), neutral evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 190 (20d8+100)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
18 (+4)​
18 (+4)​
21 (+5)​
17 (+3)​
20 (+5)​
21 (+5)​
Saving Throws Wis +9, Cha +9
Skills Insight +9, Perception +9, Persuasion +9, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances fire, radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)

Corrupted Weapons. Lucifer’s weapon attacks are magical. When he hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 4d10 necrotic damage (included in the attack).

Innate Spellcasting. Lucifer's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
At will: charm person, chill touch, detect evil and good, detect magic, invisibility, produce flame, suggestion
3/day each: bestow curse, charm monster, hellish rebuke, vampiric touch
1/day each: death ward, dominate monster, finger of death

Magic Resistance. Lucifer has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, Lucifer can take the Hide action as a bonus action.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Lucifer makes two melee attacks, or he uses Soulsucking Touch and makes one melee attack.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) bludgeoning damage plus 22 (4d10) necrotic damage. On a critical hit, the target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and Lucifer regains hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 1 or its level) rises from the corpse 1d4 minutes later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new falling angel rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.

Soulsucking Touch. Lucifer reaches out at a creature within 50 feet that he can see, drawing away its life force. The target makes a DC 17 Charisma saving throw or reduces its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores by 1d4 (roll separately for each). The target dies if this reduces an ability score to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 1 or its level) rises from the corpse 1d4 minutes later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new falling angel rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.

Change Shape. Lucifer magically polymorphs into a beast, humanoid, or monstrosity that has a challenge rating equal to or less than his own, or back into his true form. He reverts to his true form if he dies. Any equipment he is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (his choice).
In a new form, Lucifer retains his game statistics and ability to speak, but his AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and he gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that he lacks.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’d say the character is more than just Bibilical at this point. He’s been a DC character, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, a thousand different interpretations in literature, TV, and film. Our Aladdin was more the Disney version than any other version, and Arthur leans into the myths not the likely reality. The aim here is to find a fun medium.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That is an interesting assumption giving that it seems to be popular belief that we, the creators, will be overthrown by our creations, robots/AI.

The Islamic story is that Iblis was cast out because of his refusal to bow down to Adam, it explains the enmity between Mankind and the Devil/Shaitan but all remain mere Creations

dave2008

Legend
The Islamic story is that Iblis was cast out because of his refusal to bow down to Adam, it explains the enmity between Mankind and the Devil/Shaitan but all remain mere Creations
Until the created usurp their creator. What are the created who have become greater than their creator I wonder?

Hmmm, I guess we call them children. I know mine have or will surpass me in about every way!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That is the context / motivation in the Prophecy movie series too ...

They also overlapped some Native American Mythos which I found intriguing

Aaron L

Hero
Agreed. Before the War in Heaven, Lucifer would've been equal to (or greater than) Michael.
I actually use Lucifer/Satan in my homebrew campaign world called Alterra; as the name implies, it's an alternate Earth (I know, not the most original idea... ) and I heavily researched Milton and Dante to use for the combined group of Demon and Devils (in my setting they are locked in Hell and there is no organized conflict between them, and not even any actual distinction between them aside from Alignment.) Satan, called The Adversary, is the analogue of Lucifer, and was originally the Archangel Sammael. The Adversary is the archenemy of The Abomination, the Cthulhu analogue of this alternate Terra, and It was the original owner of the world of Alterra before the Archangels arrived and seeded it with mortal life.

jaynay27

Explorer
Viggo Mortensen's portrayal of Lucifer in The Prophecy is bone-chillingly awesome. When he hisses "I love you more than Jesus... " with his mouth all smeared with Gabriel's blood, it seriously gives me shivers.

Accurate too. One minute he is all sickly sweet and friendly, then he reverts to making outright and disgusting threats. Very well written and played.

(Getting my seminarian hat on)

Lucifer would be best represented as a kind of super-Solar, well beyond the abilities of a typical angel. He was the highest created being, but still a creation, no where near the Creator.

Michael would have been the 2nd highest, pretty close to Lucifer but not quite there. Scripture says that Michael, when disputing over the body of Moses, called upon divine intervention (Jude 9). Under "normal circumstances", Michael would be no match for him. Likely after Lucifer's fall, Michael was promoted to be the general of Heaven's armies (Revelation 12).

The prayer "to" St. Michael bears this out:
"St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, cast into Hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls."

What I love about this story is you have 2 titanic spiritual entities, Michael arguably being stronger than Satan, yet he chooses to take the high road rather than resorting to violence (which I believe angels are no stranger to).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Accurate too. One minute he is all sickly sweet and friendly, then he reverts to making outright and disgusting threats. Very well written and played.
Comes off nicely psychotic... I agree
Hey, I like all versions, even if I don't agree with all parts of them. My point was more that he/she should start out more powerful and get weaker. But that is also up for debate.
Yeh the more Zoroastrian influence the mightier the adversary is and the more Adversary of God vs Adversary of Man it is. The excuse of why is Satan being used to scare us if he is so much lesser and already defeated is explained better by a more powerful interpretation where he wanders about tempting mankind against the will of the all mighty in spite of defeat and banishment.
Also, the winning side tends to write the history books ;)
I have definitely read some inversion on the story line that is for sure.

Last edited:

I like

Ideas in angelology have been morphing, diverging and recombining since forever, so I don't think there is a "correct" answer to the question of Lucifer's native power; you could make a case for him being an average angel, or some kind of super-angel, or anything in between, depending on the sources you favor. And there's more than a dash of Ahriman in the Christian devil - filtered through Second Temple Judaism - although Zoroastrianism doesn't suffer from the logical inconistencies of Christian theodicy.

Lucifer's sympathetic character in Paradise Lost is more a reflection of Milton's republican, anti-monarchic inclinations than any comment on his satanic sympathies.

Blake is another matter, and is generally much more sympathetic toward devils.

Together, these two began the transformation of Lucifer into a pop icon.

Remove ads

Remove ads