• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Epic Prestige Class Concept] Apocalyptic Warrior

Anabstercorian

First Post
I'm not sure what this class should be like, but the prereqs should be something along these lines:

Alignment: Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral
Special: Must have expunged an entire planet of all life, single-handedly.

This prestige class will be based around mass destruction - Obliteration of cities, armies, and the general destruction of life. They do not serve the gods of destruction, but will eventually ascend to take their place if not stopped. Think massive explosions and rivers of blood.

Give me suggestions. Don't give them to me in the form of rules - No "kills everything within x miles unless fort save y is made" - Give me IMAGES. Describe to me vistas of glorious destruction and moments of terrible atrocity. Show me fear in a handful of words and ideas. Give me concepts that can be shown to players to inspire honest fear. Show me the end of the world.

Mordane76

First Post
I'd say read the Bible -- especially the portions of the Israelites leaving Eqypt (late Genesis and Exodus), and most all of Revelations. Apocalyptic things like inflicting mass plagues, murdering subsets of people with a thought, obviously a means of extreme-distance intraplanar travel, the ability to call down natural disasters of epic proportions -- all these things are bread and butter in Revelations.

People like Vlad the Impaler, Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan -- some, while not necessarily as evil as Hitler, they do have their moments of destruction, and their chose methods of implementation.

Without being more privy to what you're fully looking for, I'm not sure how far you want to go -- so I suppose a more detailed context for the PrC would be useful.

Anabstercorian

First Post
The Apocalyptic Warrior's abilitys are all about destruction and death. Nothing about abstract 'evil' and 'corruption' - They kill things, mass quantities of things. Appropriate feats would be the Great Cleave/Improved Whirlwind Attack combination, Widen Spell, and appropriate base classes would be any sort of Evoker mage, a Cleric of a god of destruction or poison or death, a Fighter who uses poison liberally. They burn down forests, widen deserts, raze cities, poison rivers and seas, and other similar pursuits. Their mere presence can slay the weak, like the Atropal, and they leave a trail of dead grass, plants, animals, and microorganisms wherever they go. I'm probably going to split it in to the Apocalyptic Warrior (for fighter types) and the Apocalypse Harbinger (for magic types)

Hrmmm

Level 1-Burning Shrouds of Wrath 1/day
Level 2-Cloak of Relentles Winters 1/day
Level 3-Aura of Electrifying Radiance 1/day
Level 4-Putrid Skin of Melting Acid 1/day
Level 5-Endless Bursts of Amplification 1/day
Level 6-Negative Energy Aura 1/day
Level 7-True Reincarnation 1/year
Level 8-Burning Shrouds of Wrath 2/day
...continue the cycle...

The first six abilities basically enhance the character, they're unstackable with each other, but increase the characters power's dramatically. For instance:

Burning Shrouds of Wrath would surround the Apocalyptic Warrior in a pillar of flames that makes his normal form indiscernable, his size increases by 1 catagory (to a maximum of huge) and all the bonuses associated with it, he gains an aura of heat that constantly deals 6d10 points of damage each round to those within a 60 ft-radius from him (and also upon any weapon that strikes him -but this may be a bit much). He gains the fire type, and deals an extra +4d6 points of fire damage with each blow. This would last for 1 round per class level + 1 round per his charisma modifier.

The other auras would be similar, cold aura possibly paralyzing those within it, electricity aura doing some major damage with opponents having penalties for wearing metal stuff, same properties of a black ooze vs. metal weapons that strike him for his acid aura, sonic aura deafening those witihn the radius and maybe tripping them, the negative aura dealing negative levels automatically to those within his radius and granting him the undead type.

True Reincarnation would automatically allow him to reform 1d4+1 days later, once per year (and an extra time every 7 levels after) from nothing, even if soul bound, without loss of any levels.

But that's just my take :) It's pretty powerful, but the requirement is too...hope you like it.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Ability idea: Blood Gate

Blood Gate: By killing at least 100 intelligent creatures and mixing their blood with dirt, the warrior can forge a combination Scrying pool and Gate, which he can use but once. He digs an enormous hole and pours all their blood in to it - The pool at the bottom is the gate.

Biocidal Aura (Su): An Apocalyptic Warrior gives off an aura with radius 5 feet per level. All life in this aura automatically receives one negative level. This ability kills all microorganisms, fungi, plants, and molds automatically.

The Living Death (Ex): An Apocalyptic Warrior is immune to negative levels.

Natural Disaster (Su): An Apocalyptic Warrior may, once per week, cause a natural disaster. This disaster varies by terrain.
Swamp, Floodplains: Enormous flood.
City, Forest: Wildfire
Mountains: Volcano erupts
Sea: Hurricane
Sky: Vast Tempest

Murder Army (Ex): When attacking creatures with less hitdice than one third his Apocalyptic Warrior level, the Apocalyptic Warrior automatically hits and automatically kills the target.

Bean 2.0

First Post
blood frenzy
every time the apocolyptic warrior downs a foe he gains a +2 to attack, damage , and the dc's of his damage dealing or slaying special abilities for the remainder of combat. these bonuses stack with each other

Anabstercorian

First Post
Nice

But probably need to put some sort of level cap on that - No more than +x bonus / level.

Inexorable (Su): The Warrior has no need to eat, sleep, or breathe. He has a bonus against fatigue or exhaustion of any kind equal to half his level.

Detect Life (Su): The Warrior can detect life, as with detect undead except for living things, at will, with a caster leve equal to his character level.

Atrocity (Su): The Warrior may take an attack of opportunity against any creature that begins its turn within his reach and moves more than a five foot step, NO MATTER WHAT ELSE THE CREATURE DOES. There is no escape.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Some kill people. Others kill everybody. They live to kill and kill to live and that simple paradox defines their existence. They are the living death, the:

Apocalypse Harbingers

Epic Prestige Class

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral
Special: Must have expunged an entire planet or prime material plane of all life, single-handedly.
Feats: Endurance, Diehard, Whirlwind Attack, Devastating Critical

Benefits:
1: Biocidal Aura, You Can't Hide, Unrelenting
2: Living Death (1)
3: Atrocity 1/round, Unstoppable Massacre (1 HD)
4: Living Death (2), Blood Gate 1/day
5: Natural Disaster 1/day
6: Living Death (3), Unstoppable Massacre (2 HD), Atrocity 2/round
7: Undeniable 1/year
8: Living Death (4), Blood Gate 2/day
9: Atrocity 3/round, Unstoppable Massacre (3 HD)
10: Natural Disaster 2/day, Living Death (5)

Biocidal Aura (Su): An Apocalypse Harbinger has an aura of negative energy around him that causes anyone within it to suffer one negative level, which goes away as soon as they leave the aura. This aura kills any creature with one hit die or less, including almost all flora, most fauna, and any form of micro-organism. Those killed by this effect do NOT rise as undead, but simply die.

You Can't Hide (Sp): At will, an Apocalypse Harbinger can cast Detect Animals Or Plants as a spell like ability, caster level equal to class level, except that the spell detects ANY living creatures, not just those specified.

Unrelenting (Ex): An Apocalypse Harbinger doesn't need to breathe, sleep, or eat, and cannot be fatigued or exhausted.

Living Death (Ex): When the Apocalypse Harbinger has negative levels, they suffer penalties as though they had less than they really did. This reduction is equal to their Harbinger level divided by two.
For example, a 6th level Harbinger with 60 HD is attacked by a Spectre and suffers 8 negative levels. He suffers only a -5 penalty to most actions, and wouldn't die until he had 63 negative levels.

Atrocity (Ex): An Apocalypse Harbinger can take an attack of opportunity against anyone who makes a withdraw action in his threat range. He can do this once per day per three Harbinger levels.

Unstoppable Massacre (Ex): When an Apocalypse Harbinger attacks a creature with a number of hit dice equal to or less than his Harbinger level divided by three, that creature is automatically hit and killed.

Blood Gate (Su): By killing at least 100 intelligent creatures and spilling their blood on the ground to form an enormous pool, the warrior can forge a combination Scrying pool and Gate. Once the pool is created, the Harbinger must bleed in to the pool as well, at which point the pool becomes a Gate to any point in the multiverse the Harbinger desires. This gate can only be used for transport, not for summoning. A Harbinger can create this effect once per day per four Harbinger levels.

Natural Disaster (Su): Once per day per five Harbinger levels, a Harbinger can cause either an earthquake, a hurricane, an erupting volcano, a tidal wave, a flash flood, or a plague to smite his foes. These effects are described below:
* (To be filled out later )

Undeniable (Su): Once per year per seven Harbinger levels, a Harbinger can return from death only to feed it further. 1d4+1 days after being killed, a Harbinger will return at a place of his choosing as though True Resurrected, even if circumstances would normally prevent his return, such as if he was killed by a Sphere of Annihilation or his soul is bound.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads