D&D 5E Errata to NPC stat blocks

devincutler

Explorer
In going over the stat blocks for NPCs in the Monster Manual and Volos' Guide to Monsters, I noticed a lot of niggling errors. Here is my list of those found and the corrections involved.

Sure wish WOTC would do a better job of proofing their stuff. It got really bad in 3.5 and I was hoping since 5e was simpler it'd be better.

The following are errata for the human NPCs presented in the Monster Manual and Volo’s Guide to Monsters.

ACOLYTE:

Change passive Perception from 10 to 12.

The Acolyte has a Wisdom of 14, which is a +2 bonus to Perception.

ASSASSIN:

Change Dex save to +6 and Int save to +4.

Change Acrobatics to +6, Deception to +3, Perception to +3, and Stealth to +9,

Change passive Perception from 14 to 13.

Change shortsword to +6 to hit.

Change light crossbow to +6 to hit.

All of the proficiency bonuses are 1 too high. A CR 8 creature has a proficiency bonus of +3.

BLACKGUARD:

Change shortbow damage to 3 (1d6) piercing damage.

The Blackguard has a Dexterity of 11 and adds no bonus to the base shortbow damage.

CHAMPION:

Change light crossbow to longbow.

The description under Multiattack says it gets 3 attacks with its shortbow, but the only ranged weapon it has is a light crossbow. I suggest changing this to a longbow, since that keeps the same damage and the only difference is the range (which has little bearing on the difficulty of opposing the NPC).

CULT FANATIC:

Change passive Perception to 11.

The cult fanatic has a Wisdom of 13, which is a +1 bonus to Perception.

DRUID:

The quarterstaff does 6 (1d8+2) bludgeoning damage with shillelagh instead of 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage.

The shillelagh cantrip adds the spellcaster’s spellcasting bonus to damage as well as to hit rolls.

GUARD:

Spear should include the option to do 5 (1d8+1) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Even though the guard has a shield, it can still choose to use the spear two handed. Additionally, the Gladiator has a shield, yet its spear entry includes the two handed option.

PRIEST:

Change Religion from +4 to +5.

The Priest has an Intelligence of 13. Therefore, its Religion is normally a +3. However, given its double proficiency in Medicine, it is not unreasonable to assume it also has a double proficiency in Religion.

VETERAN:

Change heavy crossbow damage to 6 (1d10+1).

The Veteran has a 13 Dexterity, which gives it a +1 to damage with the crossbow.

WARLOCK OF THE ARCHFEY:

Change the save DC for its innate spellcasting from 15 to 14.

Change the damage for its dagger to 3 (1d4+1).

The Warlock has a Charisma of 18 and a proficiency bonus of 2, giving it a total bonus of +6. Therefore, the save DC is 8 + 6 =14.

Its Dexterity is 13, giving it a +1 bonus to its dagger damage.

CapnZapp

Legend
In going over the stat blocks for NPCs in the Monster Manual and Volos' Guide to Monsters, I noticed a lot of niggling errors. Here is my list of those found and the corrections involved.
There was a huge effort by somebody to catalogue every error of the entire MM, no matter how small and insignificant.

I remember only that the quickest way to find it was to google a certain phrase - perhaps others will fill in the details.

Remove ads