5E Escape the Underdark, Fear the Madness, and get Out of the Abyss - IC

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"So this lift would take us deeper into the underdark? Is there no path to upper world?" Thia asked expecting a negative response.

"Perhaps we head for the kitchens first. We should be able to find temporary weapons there."
 
Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"First priority would be some type of weapons for the rest of you, kitchen is a good idea. I tried to slip out of these manacles, but it's no use. If only I had some tools, I'd be out in no time."
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Is there a door to the pen? Is it locked?


Thia turns to JimJar, "Is there any value in looking at the Quaggoth's lair? I doubt it, of course. But we should exhaust every possibility before we commit to attacking the guards."
 

EarlyBird

Villager
JimJar.jpg JimJar thinks a moment and then shakes his head. "Nothing in the lair except bones and refuse," he says telepathically and then shudders physically. "Although near the end of the cliff in front of the lair, is where they have us dump the chamber pots. There are no webs all the way down to the pool. I bet we could jump off the cliff there into the water below."

He turns to Shuushar and thinks, "Bet you a gold you don't survive the fall." The kuo-toa just grunts ignoring the deep gnome's attempt at mirth.

Eldeth.jpg Eldeth grimaces a she tries to sit up. "I can no go that way. I am no leaving without me great-father's hammer. I will nay be leaving it to these creatures." She looks to Kildrak and says aloud in dwarven "If I fall in this black pit, please see to it my family's heirloom is returned to them."

OOC: The slave pen is closed by a locked iron gate, so the guards on the far bridge can watch the prisoners. During meal time everyone gets one bowl of mushroom broth handed through the locked gate. It is only opened when it is time to work or return after working. Then there are two guards on the far bridge, and three at the gate herding everyone.

The lift brings people and supplies up from the cavern floor 100' below. Most of the prisoners who have been here a while know how to operate it as that is sometimes a task given them. There is no way to the surface from your current area, and there are three tunnels leading out of this cavern. Each tunnel is accessible from the cavern floor.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Thia hears the earnest request made by Eldeth. She doesn't understand it. But she does understand. After Kildrak replies, she pauses before returning to an escape plan.

"So first problem, as I said, is that gate lock there. I recall seeing one of the guards during meal time has a key on him. Anyone think they could relieve him of that key without anyone noticing? Perhaps with a simple distraction?"

"If not, we would either have to pick the lock. Or muscle the gate open." Thia continues, "The guards on the bridge probably wouldn't notice us picking the lock. But the sound of the gate breaking would raise an alarm. And we do not want to face all of the guards at once."

"Anyone know how many drow are stationed in the four barracks rooms beyond the falls?"
 

hero4hire

Villager
View attachment 91752 .

View attachment 91753 Eldeth grimaces a she tries to sit up. "I can no go that way. I am no leaving without me great-father's hammer. I will nay be leaving it to these creatures." She looks to Kildrak and says aloud in dwarven "If I fall in this black pit, please see to it my family's heirloom is returned to them."
Kildrak shook his head. "Dinnae be talkin like that lass! You'll not fall to these dark skinned bastards! An we'll be gettin that hammer back t'boot! Do yew know where they be keepin it?"



Sent from my SM-G950U using EN World mobile app
 

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: something has made me think of Jackie Chan's Shanghi Noon prison escape and made me wonder if we could do the same with Kildrak's 5' of silk rope and would any of our character know to do that? Quietly bending the bars will be better than smashing our way our.
 

hero4hire

Villager
"We should pool our resources. See if'n we can use somethin' to aid in our escape." The gruff dwarf then produced the rope he had once been bound with from where it was hidden in the deep recesses of his fiery red beard.
"Tis silk! Stronger than hemp rope. I waz thinkin' of mebbe makin' a garrote ta choke the bastards. But I ain't much fer sneakin'!"

Sent from my SM-G950U using EN World mobile app
 
Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: something has made me think of Jackie Chan's Shanghi Noon prison escape and made me wonder if we could do the same with Kildrak's 5' of silk rope and would any of our character know to do that? Quietly bending the bars will be better than smashing our way our.
OOC: Intriguing, but I can imagine the Kuo Toa's head being really wide and the bars being really narrow since they have to keep Stool imprisoned.

EB: How far apart are the bars.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Thia is spending some time looking for a forked twig.

OOC: how wide is the opening to the cell? would the 20 foot radius of silence spell cover the door sufficiently so that breaking the gate would happen silently?
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Eldeth.jpg Eldeth looks forlorn and shakes her head. "Nay, but I do be known that the bitch Ilvara held it, last I see it. I be think'n it do be in the shrine with her."

OOC: The gate has a built in lock that may be picked, and the bars are thick flat metal instead of rounded. You could still try and pry the bars apart enough to let some of the smaller characters through.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
JimJar.jpg JimJar gets excited when Thia asks about the drow numbers. He recites his list in a sing song voice as if he were practicing. "There are the leaders, Ilvara, Asha, Shoor and Jorlan. Followed by the guards, Balok, Bemeril, Guldor, Honemmeth, lmbros, Jaezred, Jevan, Kalannar, Malagar, Nadal, Nym, and Sorn. And then there are five giant spiders and a dozen scary quaggoths."

He looks to the others a huge smile on his face. Seeing the odd expressions he asks curiously, "What? I've been here a longgg time."

Shuushar.jpg Shuushar shakes his head and sighs. *glop* "I think you all are not enough to overcome all of that, even if you were armed." He turns and goes back to sit near his wall, hope leaving his face.

OOC: 55% chance of a forked twig lying about...
[roll0] sorry none in the cell, maybe you'll find one outside while you do a chore
The spell would cover the gate, but you would need to be on the other side of it to cast a spell.
No casting from inside the slave pen.
 

TallIan

Explorer
I only have a gold coin. Finnan offers, Probably not even enough to bribe a guard. He watched Thia searching for something then suggests, Perhaps a scavenger hunt the next time we're allowed out for some fun and games? Perhaps the stronger ones here can bend the bars enough for the slimmer ones to slip through. I don't have much affinity for sneaking...but I am a halfling.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Stool moves back and forth from one small foot to the other.

Stool.jpg "We... we could go." he says tentatively. "And sneak down the passage. We don't think they hurt us. If they touch us they will be hurt. Poisoned by us."

You figure Stool would blend in to the cavern (especially if the elves only have their darkvision to see), but he would be scene trying to cross the rope bridge, as anyone would. But there is nothing in the quaggoth lair worth trying to retrieve, but used as a distraction to keep them busy a moment would work.

OOC: I'm leaning towards Hogan's Heroes here. No tunnels mind you. But getting out and back in, collecting gear and info. Just a suggest nagging the back of your heads.
Also the reasoning behind Stool always keeping away from people was to not inadvertently poison them.
 

hero4hire

Villager
"Hmmm." Kildrak considered scratching at his beard. "There might be some sizable bones left in those Quaggoth critters lair. Mebbe even a serviceable club or two."

Sent from my SM-G950U using EN World mobile app
 

EarlyBird

Villager
You discuss plans well into the day and before you realize it the others are on their way back from doing chores. Stool's spore speech only lasted an hour and the creature once more releases his grey cloud so that everyone may communicate should they wish it.

Together with a few of the others the group gets a good picture of what the drow outpost Velkynvelvc looks like inside and out. Except for a few off limit areas a majority of the base is mapped out and where most of the guards will be is also known.

Is it luck or fate that during the meal that very day a strange scarred drow offers you all a chance at freedom. His only message "The gate will be 'accidently' left open tomorrow after everyone is returned from chores. Escape or not it is up to you." But before anyone can ask questions he is gone. To trust him is a question that now weighs heavily on everyone's mind.

OOC: Only three prisoners did not help in the discussion. The orc Ront, the dow Sarith, and the kuo-toa Shuushar. The latter saying it's a waste of time to try, what will be, will be,
 
Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: To whom does the drow tell the gate will be open specifically?


Thia tries to speak with the earlier conspirators quietly. "If we go tomorrow, how long do we wait? Also, if my spells return to me, I intend to cast silence either on the guard post or on the bridge beyond the guard post. We need to contain the guards or at least their shouts or else the whole compound will bear down on us fast."
 

Advertisement

Top