5E Escape the Underdark, Fear the Madness, and get Out of the Abyss - IC

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: He only speaks undercommon, but the message was spoken softly to every third person in line, so the two next in line at the gate could hear also. Finnan could translate the message for the rest of the party.
 

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: I take it the lift is operated only from the top?


Finnan considered this new twist, not sure he trusted this guard. We've seen that the guards are not above using us for our own amusement. This could be a trap. I'd suggest we try and make our own fortuitous event before then. He says to the group. Then we need to have a preference of tunnel to choose. If the north one goes to Menzoberanzen I'd say that should be out last choice, we don't want to head towards reinforcements. Similarly I would suggest the south one be our first choice, but it depends where they go.

He glances at the so far silent prisoners. The drow and the orc worries him a little. Depending on how accurate JimJar's info was, the drow should prove willing to escape - assuming he did not want to die - but the orc? Certainly useful in a fight, but on who's side?

In an attempt to get some answers, Finnan approaches the orc, trying a little flattery. "You seem strong and proud, I would not think a life of servitude would suit you, yet you hold your tongue when we suggest escape."

Persuade the orc to talk: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"I'm willing to try to see if there's anything we can do with the hinge if someone will stand by the other end of the door distracting any guards looking our way." Thia says.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
Ront.jpg The orc stands as the halfling speaks, towering over Finnan by almost four feet. "No want to stay, but the black skins are many and so few here can fight. I would want twenty spears at my back before thinking of escape."

The orc looks tired and his shoulders start to sag as he again ponders his words. "Where we go? That the blacks not just find and capture us again."

OOC: Another Persuasion check please, you may just swing his disposition after that last good roll.
 

TallIan

Explorer
"Optimistic to find 20 orcs with spears in a prison" says Finnan in jest, "I was training to use magic, as was the woman Thia. Betwean the two of us that must make up for a five or six spears. But we don't need to win a fight - just get out. Someone with your ability could certainly swing this for us. Once we're out we have a guide. It'll be tough, but once we get moved deaper, our chances will become ever more slim."


Second Persuasion roll: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Answering from OOC thread.
Here is a picture of what the hinge may look like. Easy enough with tools. But the only thing you have is the flint knife, which you could try and use to pry the bolt up. Since Atallia is your distraction you would have advantage, because you can take your time. DC 14 STR check for each (so twice).

[sblock=Picture]
bolt hinge.jpg[/sblock]

Thia and Atallia move quietly to the gate, the elf silently working on the hinges from the shadows. Atallia paces back and forth in front of the gate for a minute until a guard walks out onto the rope bridge and tells her to get back inside. Moving slowly away she comes back after a minute and again the guard threats her to back off. Not listening (really wanting to see what happens), Atallia crosses her arms defiantly.

*twang*

He fires a bolt at her. [roll0] disad(distance): [roll1], dmg [roll2]

It flies towards the gate and it clangs harmless off the cross guards of the portcullis.
 
Last edited:

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Only if Atallia reaches through the gate and snags it. If it would have hit, she could have used deflect missiles on it. Then things would have gotten interesting.


Ront.jpg "You are going to risk your life?" the orc asks, knowing the answer. "You are brave little man."

"Braver than I will ever be." he mumbles to himself. "Need not fight, hmm" He says a little louder, his eyes brightening to the thought. "I like this idea. I will escape with you little 'magic' man."

OOC: Ront is now Indifferent to Finnan and it will be easy to make him Indifferent to everyone(no rolls, just rp) except the dwarves. Some serious RP/Rolls for him to become Indifferent to them.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Twice? That refers to getting past both break points or twice, once for each hinge. I'm hoping only one hinge is necessary since I don't think I want the door falling over.

Thia also has no bonuses to strength so dc 14 is going to be interesting.

Thia; two attempts at the hinge: 2D20.HIGH(1) = [7, 18] = 18
2D20.HIGH(1) = [6, 19] = 19

Thia tries not to pay attention to Atallia as she distracts the guard. The pin rises from the hinge with ease and Thia thinks nothing can go wrong until she hears the distinct twang of an arrow being fired. She looks over at Atallia in fear but sees the arrow land outside the cell. Sweating now, Thia continues to pry at the hinge's pin when it comes free in her hand. Thia pushes at the lower edge of the door and with a soft scraping sound, the cell door is released from the lower hinge. She looks around to see how far she can push it without anyone on the bridge noticing the sway in the door. She whispers to Atallia, "Has the guard moved back to the guard house?"

OOC: if she answers in the affirmative, and assuming that if she crawls out of the door down low she cannot be seen from the guard house. From the map you hand drew, it looks like there's a low wall on the northeast end of the platform where the cell is situated. But now I've just seen the map you posted in RG and I'm less confident about this plan. There's no real cover outside the cell. Based on the new maps I'll make a stealth check:
Stealth Check:_: 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25

Thia wiggles her way through the opening and crawls slightly down the stairs toward the yugoloth's lair (not too close, just out of sight of the guard). She casts true strike to see if she is out of range of the spell suppression effect.

OOC: and if I've gone too far with this, I'll sadly edit it.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: I will need to wait to see if anyone wants to follow, but will assume Atallia was your look out. The guard had to go into the guard house to come out to cross to the bridge to the cell ledge. During this time you can escape to the staircase (where your spell works). One/two others at the most can get under the door and to the staircase before the guard comes to retrieve his bolt.

Any takers to trying to get out now?


OOC: Thia is awarded one inspiration die - first to escape. Remember the rules for this here

Congrats
 

TallIan

Explorer
"I've been a prisoner, of sorts, for too long now. And no one has ever accused a halfling of cowardice. I'm glad to have you with us."

Finnan considers approaching the drow or the koatoa when he hears the gate break. "Look like its happening now." He makes to go to the gate, then reconsiders, with his hands manacled, he really wasn't much use in the front. Instead he got closer, ready to go, and opens a link to Thia, Let me know if you need anything. To those clustering near the gate he says, "I really need to get these off."
 

hero4hire

Villager
Kildrak was not much for sneaking. But the dwarf anxiously waited by the gate just inside of their prison keeping an ear out, just in case he needed to rush out in all of his pent up dwarven fury.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Thia tries to remain calm. If this were a mission, Adrima would be stalking forward to silence the guards. I wish she were here. She always said I held the knife wrong and didn't aim for the vitals like she showed me a thousand times. Old Grudach would be standing over me, to protect me from... from... well he died protecting me for all the good it did either of us. Lyonith would be by my side, ready to jump on anything needing jumping on. There's a guard walking back over the bridge. The damned arrow. I can do this. Swift like Adrima, just rush him and get him down. Fast. I hope some others get out here soon to help.
Thia points at the guard, repeating the invocation of the true strike spell until she is ready to pounce.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The drow guard makes his way into the guard post, for the next few seconds no one is watching the gate or the prisoners.

OOC: Just time for one more character to exit the slave pen, and hide near the stairs.
Also I can put this on hold - till after Christmas as it is about to get hairy and hate to break up the action.
Groups choice.
 

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: I was going to leave the chance to get out of the door first to Atallia (since she is sneaky), but if no one else wants to go out, Finnan will go and help Thia.

As far as pausing goes, I'm easy either way, though my posting is going to be slightly less regular until after new year's.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: I'm on a stay at home vacation for the holidays, so I'm good to post daily if we had a flurry of activity. :) So I don't care either way.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: And so it begins (or ends - all in how the die fall)


The guard who shot the bolt at Atallia moves across the rope bridge, his hand crossbow in hand and reloaded. Atallia watches from behind the gate making direct eye contact to try and keep the drow's eyes on her.

Finnan slips in beside Thia and the elven soldier breathes a bit easier knowing she has a bit of support as she tenses readying herself to strike.

The guard stops by the spent bolt and then starts to bend over to retrieve it, the keys on his belt jingle as if to taunt the group to try an attempt at freedom.

OOC:
Thia rolled a great Stealth check so she has surprise on the guard. Need Finnan to roll a Stealth check DC 13 to have a surprise round.
Also roll INIT for after the surprise round in your next post. You need to be faster than the other guards or they may get a chance to warn the complex.

[sblock=Combat]
Atallia
AC 15, HP 21/21, none

Thia
AC 13, HP 21/21, dagger

Finnan
AC 13, HP 21/21, none

Kildrak
AC 9, HP 28/28, none

Drow Guards: AC 15
HP
1) 13/13
2) 13/13
3) 13/13[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
break out_1.jpg[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top