Escaping the Labyrinth

Redclaw

First Post
Savlin looks around the island, wondering what makes its home here. As he heads out, he speaks to his companions. It's not that I don't trust our host, but I wouldn't let your guard down completely. We should also set a watch fot the night, in case he decides that tomorrow starts earlier than we expect.

[sblock=ooc]Search 27, survival 14 [/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Savlin's inspection shows that the island is (as would be expected) constructed, not anything natural. And not even dwarves could cut stone this precisely nor could the stone support the grass and berries that seem to grow plentifully here.. not without magic. Nothing seems to make it's home here, the only prints and traces being your own (Though he notices on his second pass that the disturbed grass returns to pristine condition after a moment). Being several feet above the water level, it's doubtful anything could come up unless it flew in, took the same staircase you came up, or came across the rope bridge.

*If nobody posts anything to change it, I'll assume you rest up for the night and I'll advance the storyline tommorow. I will give you this though - This one's a free rest(no interuptions). no guarantees next time. ;)*

renau1g

First Post
Rhokkan will take this opportunity to rest with relish, he's generally unconcerned with the others and sleeps in his armor. The troll keeps his greatsword and shield within arms reach as he rest and will eat any meal from the island that he can find, grimacing if berries are the only food at hand.

Jemal

Adventurer
The party feasts upon berries, bananas, and small rat-like creatures, resting on the island for the 'night'. Once they are rested and fed, the only course that seems open is the rope bridge, though upon closer inspection it's not going to be a fun trip, and isn't exactly the steadiest they've ever seen.

It's gonna be slow going.

[sblock=ooc]
It's 10' wide (like the walkway you just left, but dry) and very.. 'swingy'. You have to make a balance check each round with a DC equal to how many feet you move that round (EX: 20 feet= dc 20 balance check). Failure means you can't move, failure by 5 or more means you fall off. You can take 10, meaning that if you don't want to roll, your movement rate on here is effectively equal to 10 + your balance skill. :p
I need you to repost preferred walking order, and speed you'll be moving at.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
How far across does the bridge go? I think we should take our time, be safe, and make sure we've got some sort of plan to fight off any unwanted "complications".

[sblock=ooc] It's early, so my math could be off (in all honesty, it could be off anyway :) ), but shouldn't we get 20 + our balance skill if we take 10? 10 for taking 10 and 10 for the DC adjustment described?

According to the previous post, I could choose to travel 32', making my DC a 22. Then, if I roll a 10 and add my +12 bonus for balance, I would have successfully travelled those 32'. So taking 10 should get me the same result.
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
The bridge extends into the darkness. Knowing your host, it's probably a long ways, and you doubt it'll be uneventful.
[sblock=ooc]
Above post Edited to correct my math.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Rhokkan sighs as he sees the bridge extending into darkness.

"I'll lead, you keep an eye out for threats and I'll chop'em down." the troll mutters to the others as he hefts his greatsword and activates his animated shield.

He gingerly steps onto the bridge and looks around for any visible threats before continuing forward.

[sblock=OOC]
Rhokkan has a balance skill of +4 (+5 dex -1 ACP), so his total is 14, therefore he'll move a whopping 14' per round...

Spot/Listen +11 (not sure if you want to roll out perception checks for us)
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
After roasting a rat-thing with his breath and taking a fine eating and good nap, Darius re-invokes his powers on himself and the others (ooc: same invocations as before).

After seeing the bridge (ooc: a bridge over water or a chasm?), he first observes it, using his ability to see magic auras and speaks up to the others: "The halfling and me can both fly. Has anyone of your spellcasters the right spell that helps us to avoid the bridge entirely? Like a mass-fly or airwalk spell or something?"

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=initiative]
Carl
Rhokkan
Hydra *DM Update*
Savlin
Darius
Ryash
[/sblock]
As the party prepares to set off, they realize that one of their number is missing. In Anabelles place is only a short note.
"She was unsuited to this task. I've found her another. MUAHAHAHA.. oh damn, the maniacal laughter doesn't work so well on paper, does it? Well, what're you waiting for, an invitation? Get off the bloody island or I'll sink it!"

Stepping onto the bridge, the troll goes first The bridge is difficult to navigate, and the going slow. After about a hundred feet the surroundings dissapear into the mist, leaving you unable to see anything further than about 20'. Several minutes later, you begin to hear a low growling sound ahead of you. Advancing cautiously, you continue on. Soon, you see end of the bridge appear out of the mist, attaching to a cliff. And standing directly in front of it, almost smiling, is a huge, blue-scaled 12-headed beast.

[sblock=OOC]
Sorry for the delay folks, but we're back in business.

As you are prorably aware, It's quite obviously a Hydra. Knowledge Checks:
[sblock=DC 22]
This is a Cryohydra, it has an Icy breath weapon and is immune to cold damage.
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 27]
Hydras are exceedingly fast healers, faster even than trolls, though their healing does not continue after death. (Fast heal 22)
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 32]
A Hydra can be slain either by destroying it's massive body or severing each of its heads and searing the stumps with fire
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 37]
AC 22, 129 hp
[/sblock]
Also, Initiative. You were aware something was there, and it heard/smelled you coming, so no surprise round.
Initiative: Hydra, Carl, Savlin, Rhokkan, Darius, Ryash (1d20+1=20, 1d20+6=26, 1d20+5=17, 1d20+5=23, 1d20+3=14, 1d20+2=12)
Initiative order = Carl, Rhokkan, Hydra, Savlin, Darius, Ryash
So I need actions for Carl and Rhokkan, and then I'll update with the Hydra and then everyone posts. I'll NPC Darius till WD gets back.
[/sblock]
[sblock=map]
Code:
xxHHHxx
xxHHHxx
xxHHHxx
~~..~~~
~~..~~~
~~..~~~
~~RR~~~
~~RR~~~
~DSYC~~
~~..~~~
~~..~~~
~=Water, .=Bridge, x=Land, H=Hydra
R=Rokelsh, C=Carl, Y=Ryash, S=Savlin, D=Darius
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Roaring a challenge to the creature, Rhokkan charges forward with his sword held high, green muscles rippling from the tight grip on his weapon.

"Finally a foe worth fighting!" Rhokkan roars, recognizing a fellow denizen of the swamps as his blade sinks deeply in the creatures right flank, eliciting a howl of delight from the troll.

[sblock=OOC]
I'm assuming that Rhokkan would at least recognize the creature as a hydra, but he doesn't have any knowledge of them per se... just that they're a creature he attempted to stay away from.

Full Round Action - Charge!
Attack; Damage (1d20+18=33, 3d6+16=28)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
107/107 HP
30 AC ; F/R/W: +20/+11/+10
[/sblock]

Remove ads