• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials at Gencon Dungeon Delve

DonAdam

Explorer
It occurred to me that I hadn't seen a thread about the Dungeon Delve characters from Gencon. They were made using Essentials. I didn't get to look at all of them closely, but I did play the Wizard a few times.

Here are the highlights from my now-dim memory:

Edit: Forget my dim memory, the characters can be found here.

Fighter- Basically what we've seen. I didn't get a close looks but I could swear they were adding +8 or +9 to damage rolls on their melee basics. So I think they might have been adding Str and Con (or Str and Dex for a Slayer). That could be the substitute for their lack of Daily powers.

What's strange: they had no Defender mechanics. Characters for Delves only have a fraction of their abilities normally. But the auras and punishing mechanics were simply missing from the character sheets. Maybe the DM's were just told to attack the Fighters?

Rogue- Used melee basic attacks and movement tricks (unlike the Red Box Rogue? See Thalmin's thread). One was the shift 2 and knock prone if you hit that was posted recently. The other (Acrobat's Trick, maybe?) allowed you to move 3 along a vertical surface (but end your turn on the ground) and get a +X to damage.

Two weird things and one awesome thing: the Rogue's sneak attack did 2d6+1 damage. Don't know where the +1 came from. Also, he had a really high Constitution. Is that part of a Rogue build now? Finally--the awesome thing--he was a fat halfling. I miss fat halflings.

Cleric- Was the storm cleric. Can't remember anything that wasn't in Thalmin's preview. Lesser Aspect of Wrath was the Daily.

Wizard- I loved the Wizard, so I played this three times. It felt much more Controllery than a PHB 1 Wizard. All of the Close and Areas were enemies only. Had a Magic Missile that targeted 1 or 2 creatures, so if this is a misprint it might have carried over to the Heroes book (since the Rogue had tricks instead of his Red Box powers). Encounter was Illusory Obstacles, Daily was Fountain of Flame. The other two at-will's I haven't seen on here:

Beguiling Strands- Close blast 3 Int vs. Will that did Int mod damage and slid 4 squares.

Suggestion- Make an Arcana check instead of a Diplomacy check.

I was super excited to see a non-combat power in there.

If anyone else remembers anything or has any corrections, let me know.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
What's strange: they had no Defender mechanics. Characters for Delves only have a fraction of their abilities normally. But the auras and punishing mechanics were simply missing from the character sheets. Maybe the DM's were just told to attack the Fighters?
No, they were Slayers. Slayers are officially Strikers, not Defenders.

Jools

First Post
Oh look, its the same three of us from the rogue thread. I'll ask here: does anyone remember the name of the rogue build from Gencon? Was it the thief by any chance? If so, we know that the Redbox version is incorrect (see the other thread about the rogue being cocked up).

Baumi

Adventurer
Poor Dwarf ... he is extremely tough, but giving up 3 attack and damage bonus compared to the other Fighter is very hard. :p

Anyway I love the Character Sheet Format and the Characters with the new Powers looks very fun! :cool:

What I find strange is that the Martial Characters have all a 1 or 2 higher damage bonus then they should have (including the dex-bonus for the slayers), maybe that's a new advantage for loosing their dailies?

fba827

Adventurer
What I find strange is that the Martial Characters have all a 1 or 2 higher damage bonus then they should have (including the dex-bonus for the slayers), maybe that's a new advantage for loosing their dailies?

(I have not even looked at the sheets, just making a guess) ... it could be some sort of feat (like weapon focus or what not) that the PC has but isn't shown on the sheet since it's all built in to the relevant power block.

Baumi

Adventurer
Actually I just checked and not only is the damage but also the Attack Bonus much higher than it should be...

DonAdam

Explorer
Yeah, it looks like the Human Fighter has-

To Hit:
+1 Level
+4 Str
+1 Enhancement
+3 Prof
+1 Weapon Talent
+1 Heavy Blade Expertise (like Expertise, but with the added kick of +2 AC vs. opp attacks)
=+11

Damage:
+4 Str
+1 Enh
+3 Dex
+1 Probably Weapon Focus (he's human, 2 feats)
=+9

The Dwarf-

To Hit:
+4 Str
+1 Level
+1 Enh
+2 Prof
=+8

Damage:
+4 Str
+1 Dex
+1 Enh
=+6

And it appears he has Toughness as a feat (Con is 6 higher, but hit points are 11 higher than the human).

Edit: Mengu pointed out that the Dwarf should have Weapon Talent as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads