• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Red Box Errata

It was pointed out to me that magic missel changes to one or two targets, auto hits, counts as ranged basic, but is missing the line that includes damage bonuses from magic impliments to damage. We're wondering if this is intentional. The Magic staff card still says that the modifier is to damage rolls. Perhaps they are planning to change that? OR the messed up and left out the line on the power card, or they are just planning to swap the bonus damage from implements in exchange for a second taget?

GreyLord

Legend
I posted this at WotC's boards, but figured why not post it here too. I agree and disagree that this is a good release. I think it could have been an EXCELLENT release for new players, with a few adjustments. One of those as already stated, is something to make the character creation easier after the first time going through. It's easy enough to make a character, but after a couple times it starts being a pain. Even a simple short summary that runs down what options you have as a character. As such I even made one for when I use this set to introduce others. I'll post it onto this, though it won't make much sense to those who haven't read it I imagine...those who know 4e can make sense of a lot of it, but it still won't give them the intricate nuts and bolts beyond a simple spoiler.

If there is a problem with the summary, I'll edit it out (when I read here next, or someone else can mod it if they have the ability)

Okay, looked over the Starter set...and...I'm in shock slightly. It's NOT GEARED towards newbies really. It is...but it isn't. Let me explain.

It has a really good introduction in the Player's Book, or what you should read first. That's a good thing. It has the new player start reading through a choose your own adventure. This is a VERY GOOD idea and a VERY GOOD WAY of introducing roleplaying to someone brand new to the game.

However, there the problems start. It appears as if someone forgot some basic editing...at least from my read through of it. It isn't just misspelled words. I have plenty of those, which you'll notice in this post. I even have a ton of grammar errors. I can understand that, and normally don't mind the minor mistakes in any of the Books WotC has put out. These are a little more than minor. For example, the fighter may NEVER learn what his Constitution score is. There is a portion in the book where it asks you to make a roll. If you hit you go to a section which explains your Constitution score. If you miss, you NEVER go to that section...EVER.

In addition, it tosses around terms such as 1d4, 1d8 casually as if a reader should know what that means automatically. I know what it means, but how about some youngster with no prior experience in this...they may just look at that and try to figure out what it's telling them!

The biggest complaint I have other than that, is that it's made for creating one character only. If your character dies, you have to go read through the ENTIRE BOOK AGAIN just to create a new character. This may be fun the first four or five times you go through it, but after that, it's going to get tedious.

They advertise Heroes of the Fallen Lands in the DMB (Dungeon Master's Book) and that's acceptable, but if they don't have a way to create characters on your own...then your still stuck reading through the Player's Book every time you want to play.

That's a pretty BIG slap for the Essentials line, in my eyes. Not that great.

Furthermore, there is no real comprehensive list of the powers. This could be a bonus, or a minus.

Instead of a listing in the book, you get some cardstock that's perforated into cards. These are like the powercards that you can buy, but for the characters in the set. All your powers are written out this way. You are given a few of the power abilities in the book for you basic start, but after that you have to search through the cards to find your power. You then take the power card to learn what you can do.

Some will find that a great idea and think it's the greatest thing since sliced Pie. I'm not too fond of this by itself. I'd rather have a list in the book from which players can copy their character powers onto something else first. I wouldn't mind if they had BOTH a list in the book, and the cards, but I don't like the idea of cards only. This is only a personal preference though, and some will REALLY like it.

Another gripe is they discuss Initiative and initiative modifiers, but really don't discuss how you get it. That's not all that great. As it's written without that information, the monsters will almost always have the advantage of initiative. Not as bad as somone never figuring out what their Constitution is (unless of course they cheat and start reading the choose your own adventure as a book straight through instead of turning to the relavent section), but still, kind of irksome.

A little editing would have shown these problems on the first read through. I noticed them on my first perusal of the book. Maybe I'm blind and didn't notice these things in the book, even after going back and trying to find them...which could be possible, but if I'm not blind, I kind of find it appalling such obvious things would be missing.

On the bright side, I think the choose your own adventure format is excellent in introducing players...but they may have a few obstacles in getting through it.

The DMB on the otherhand is excellent. They have a ton of information in it, all crowded into one book which will basically allow a DM to create as many adventures as they desire. It allows characters to advance up to level 2, and though no XP is given, tells them that they can advance to level 3 even.

It covers all the essentials not covered in the PHB, from skills, to combat, to adventure design, and more. It also has a lot of encounters to get your hands wet, and then a nice little monster manual at the back. It's like they had two different writers. One for the PB, and one for the DMB. The DMB is superior in EVERYWAY to the PB. I would rate the DMB excellent and it saves the set.

With this set, people can create character after character after character, and keep playing for a while. If people can get through the character creation, I would rate this as the best introductory set since the 3.5 Black Dragon Basic set. It's a very good set overall, and can allow people to play for hours, days, weeks, months, etc. with just this set alone.

That said, it will take some dissecting for the new players to understand things at times, especially those items explained in the PB.

The items that come with it, are the aforementioned PB and DMB, 4 character sheets, a large map, 56 tokens, with 12 character tokens, 5 action point tokens, 36 (different monsters on front and back) monster tokens, and 3 large tokens representing a black dragon, a white dragon and what I think is a horse with a zombie, gelatinous cube, and Dire wolf on the back of those three tokens.

You get 6 black dice with whhite numbers.

Seven cardstock sheets perforated with 9 cards apiece (for a total of 63 cards, some of the cards are treasure cards however)

A piece of paper the size of an index card with a code for your free solo adventure.

And finally a sheet advertising the essentials line with the Dungeon Master's Kit, the Rules Compenium, the Dungeon Tiles, and the Monster Vault.

So that's the preview for you who haven't gotten it, or those just visiting looking for more information.

Finally, I'm posting an Aid to character creation and some essential stuff that SHOULD have been included in the set. Note, this is ALL abbreviated overall, but should be understood easily by someone who has actually read the PB in the starter set. If it is too much, I suppose Wizards could take out that part, but as I said, it's just an abbreviation and will be useless overall to someone who doesn't have the set...and for those who already know the rules well, it won't be of any use. For many of the items, such as the powers, they are MORE FULLY explained on your powercards, this list is just a reminder of what you are looking at when creating your character. Your powercards are the items that you need to use to get the full information. The same goes for some of the other information.

I would hope that Wizards would actually create a support page. They can even take the stuff I've typed out here and modify it (I haven't really checked over the spelling or grammar) and post it on the site somewhere for new players to grasp some of the ideas better, as well as having an easier time making their second or third character. The first time is fun reading through the adventure...after that....

Anyways, onto the guide...

Attachments

• Starter Kit AID.rtf
    56.9 KB · Views: 337

jelmore

First Post

vic20

Fool
I really like the idea of a thread for tracking errata to the Red Box. I'm glad I'm not the only person that noticed that Dwarves appear to have lost their CON bonus, and that there's no place for Passive Perception/Insight.

Can a mod please clean up all the non-errata rants from this thread?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Can a mod please clean up all the non-errata rants from this thread?
Done.

Hey, everyone! This thread is for errata ONLY. I've just deleted some quite valid and interesting opinions that really belonged elsewhere; please keep this thread only for rules problems and errata. Thanks.

pemerton

Legend
DM Book, pg.16: The Prone entry states that flying creatures safely descend a distance equal to their speed before falling. The 6 July PHB errata got rid of the safe descent part.
But this isn't really a problem - because the May errata to flying says to subtract a flying creature's speed from any fall. The May/July changes just affect where the rule is stated. They don't actually change the rule.

JohnSnow

Hero
Confining myself to actual errata, and trying not to be too repetitive...

General: Only the fighter part of the "choose your own adventure" path directs a newbie to the picture on the bottom of page 6 for an explanation of the different kinds of dice. The other classes seem to simply assume that knowledge.

Step 7: Unless something has changed in D&D Essentials, halflings, who are small, can't use a greatsword or greataxe. The halfling fighter should instead be using the versatile longsword or battleaxe in two hands (for d8/d10 damage respectively).

Step 7: If your first blow misses the goblin, you will go through the fighter section without touching the point where you note down your CON score (Step 8). Several later steps assume you've done this.

Step 37: Your weapon attack bonus is listed as "+8" and "sword." It should be "+6" and "mace." It's corrected later (like in Step 39), but the discrepancy is confusing.

Step 45: This assumes you've already filled in your CON score. As later acknowledged, this is hardly a sure thing, so the class-specific sections later should refer those who haven't yet determined their CON score to both that step AND give an admonishment to make sure they adjust the value from Step 45. Alternatively, this could be moved to after those sections.

Step 56: While all the other classes have a point where they say "If you didn't fill in your CON score, go back to Step X and do it now," the fighter doesn't. It may be unlikely this would happen, but it is possible.

Step 56: As pointed out, neither the dwarf nor the halfling "already got" their +2 Con bonus. This could alternatively be an errata for Step 8 instead.

Step 59: It should read: "If you're playing a dwarf, you already got a +2 to your Wisdom and Constitution scores."

That's all I can find for now.

Oulak

First Post
Step 87: Your cleric's reflex bonus does not take into account that you are using a heavy shield, and a heavy shield is not listed in the "Under 'Equipment and Magic Items'" paragraph.

Last edited:

Remove ads