ETERNALS Trailer Teaser 2

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm confused about people saying a bright colorful comic weirdness won't work on screen. Did y'all not watch Guardians of the Galaxy?

You're confused, because you are apparently equating Kirby's particular aesthetic (what we are talking about) with "bright, colorful comic weirdness" in general (which is not what we are talking about).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, he’s the descendent of the original who inherits the sword.
The sword is cursed to turn the wielder evil

That... may be an oversimplification.

In the comics, we eventually (and only recently) learn that Merlin lied about the sword. It doesn't actually turn the wielder evil. It only reveals its full powers to baneful, hate-filled individuals. The Black Knight has to own that's he's a pretty flawed individual in order to bring the sword fully to bear.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is it likely black knight gets transported in time? Movie going to have time travel?

The Black Knight is currently Dane Whitman, a modern man. Quite an engineer, in fact. Good enough to design his own flying mounts, for example.

At one point in the comics, he does get to do the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court thing, but I expect that's not relevant for the film.

the eternals are as powerful as thanos? Jumping ahead is the black knight an eternal? I don't remember him having any powers other than a magic weapon and a magical horse?

Thanos is one of the Deviants, the evil version of the Eternals, so they are generally equal in power, or at least a few of the Eternals are equal in power to him. In some other trailer or spoiler article for the movie, the arrival of more Deviants is why the Eternals changed their non-interference policy. I would have to go and look to see if any specific Deviants have been named as being in the movie. Also, I know nothing about their comic stories, but if I repeat anything from a comic book spoiler article, I will remember to spoiler it here.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
. I would have to go and look to see if any specific Deviants have been named as being in the movie. Also, I know nothing about their comic stories, but if I repeat anything from a comic book spoiler article, I will remember to spoiler it here.

The trailer actually shows a blue Deviant on screen but for less than a second, word is that its the shapeshifter Kro

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thanos is one of the Deviants, the evil version of the Eternals

It is far more complicated than that.

In the comics, Thanos was born of Eternal parents. He grew up with the Eternals. His brother is the Eternal known as Eros (aka Starfox). However, Thanos was (iirc) the only Eternal ever known to have been born with the Deviant gene, which granted him what the rest of his people found to be a deformed appearance, and they shunned him.

This drove Thanos to nihilism, an obsession with entropy... and eventually worshipping and trying to win the hand of Death herself. So, you know, the Eternals' own prejudice made him what he became.

Last edited:

After reading through some of the articles about the Eternals and Deviants, I see one big thing was changed for the MCU, the amount of time they have been on Earth. The trailer says the Eternals arrived on Earth 7000 years ago and that is a lot less time than in the comics. I wonder if their connection to the Celestials and the Deviants will still be the same?

I can see some of the Deviants on this list as easily being the main villains:

I'm really excited for this. So far it's been the stuff I've never heard of or know very little about that I've enjoyed the most from Marvel.
As for it not looking like Jack Kirby, I'm guessing there have been multiple artists that have worked on variations over the years.

The scenes of soft dawn/dusk light from the trailer seems pretty similar to the visuals in Nomadland, for which Chloe Zhao won best director.
The main draw for me though is the actor Barry Keoghan (from Killing of a Sacred Deer and American Animals) he'll also be in the upcoming fim The Green Knight.

Last edited:

Remove ads