• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

SirK8

First Post
Introduction

A human clad in armor that looks like it hasn't been polished in a long time walks into the tavern through the broken door. A large sword is slung on his back and a small axe is hanging from his belt. He is an average height and somewhat muscular build. His hazel eyes survey the scene inside. If he is concerned, it does not show on his emotionless face. The man is bald and from the stubble on his face, it looks like he hasn't shaved in a while.

He walks over to a vacant table and takes a seat almost wearily. He motions to a waiter to bring him a drink.

It is common practice for those that visit the Hanged Man to introduce themselves, even if it is not their true name. The bouncers like to know the name of who they may have to rough up later.

One of the waiters brings a drink over to the man. "Good eve to you sir" the waiter says as he sets the drink on the table "I've not seen you in here before. My name's Carl, you just let me know if you need anything else tonight." The waiter pauses, looks at the man sitting at the table and smiles expectantly.

"Just the drink Carl" the man says a bit gruffly, then realizing that the waiter is waiting for him to give his name as well, he says, "The name's Ralt" in a tone that's not quite rude, but he doesn't seem to be in the mood for pleasantries.

Unabashed and still smiling, Carl asks "And what brings you here this evening?"

Ralt sighs and tries to put some politeness to his voice, "Just stopped in for a drink. I'm in town looking for work. If you know of any be sure to let me know. I'm handy with a sword and don't mind a bit o' trouble so long as the pay's good." Ralt picks up his drink and gulps down half the glass, his dismissive manner and the look in his eye is enough to signal the waiter that he's had enough conversation.

Mewness

First Post
"I thought I was ahead of you too," Kaeysari says, "But things were kind of confusing there for a while. I ran into the king, and had to move quietly so that I didn't wake him up."

"Oh, well, that explains it," says Papolstaanas cheerfully. "I'm just happy that we made it out. I'll never eat another mushroom or talk to another caterpillar again! U-unless he talks to me, first, be-because that would be rude, to be addressed by a caterpillar and not say anything in return, wouldn't it? And mushrooms are kind of delicious. Well, normal ones are, anyway. Not that the giant one tasted bad, but, you know, the effects...."

He looks around as the newcomer enters, but sees that the man appears to want to be left alone.

"And, this is Ignus," Papolstaanas continues to Kaeysari, pointing at someone or something under the table. "I just met him. He's a kobold, too, but he's not actually related or anything, so, you know, nothing to fear on that score."

Rapida

First Post
Seeing that Keaysari looks much more calm (and sane) than the warforged knight, Ignus comes out from under the table. "Pleazed to meet yah", the kobold takes a smooth bow.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Just making the end of the rumble with Rhagast official
Heaving from the effort, Rhagast appears more beaten down than he'd prefer to be. Blood runs down his brow and coats his arms, forming small pools where his hooves fall, "I told you. You can't win scaler! I've got a trick up my sleeve."

With that, he lifts his right hand to reveal an emerald ring. With his left hand, he twists the ring and disappears in a brilliant flash.

When the blinding light subsides, a stunned, three-armed thri-kreen lies on the floor in the pool of blood where the minotaur once stood. In the claws of his arms is an emerald ring, similar to that on Rhagast's finger.

After interrogating the trhi-kreen, she takes the ring off his finger and pulls out a handful of gold and slaps it down on a nearby table.

She looks around the room and says "anyone who wants to go on the adventure of a lifetime, step forward, claim your gold, and prepare for a new life in a distant land!"

Lerrick glups down another fruit drinnk! Meeeee!! And I don't even want the gold! She then looks around, wondering if she's getting in a little over her head.

Phoenix hands the ring to Lerrick, shows her how to activate it, then steps back with weapons ready, motioning for Brastrix and the others to get ready for whatever happens...

Lerrick turns the faceted emerald and vanishes in a flash of green light. A green ring, hovers alone in the air about five feet off the ground, and then clatters to the floor of The Hanged Man. Phoenix stares at the ring in disbelief and disappointment.

Inspecting the ring, she notices that it is slightly different from the one she gave Lerrick. It's stone, and the geometry of the setting are identical, but the engravings and reliefs cut into the setting are slightly different.

Phoenix waits a moment then realizes she's just sent another woman off alone to face down Rhagast.

She grabs the ring and activates it...

Phoenix turns the faceted emerald and vanishes in a flash of green light. Lerrick hovers alone in the air about about a foot off the ground, and then clatters to the floor of The Hanged Man. She stares at the ring in disbelief wishing Phoenix the best of luck.

Lerrick shakes her head, then lifts herself of the floor. Woooaa!

She takes the ring off, being careful not to twist the gem, and places gently on the bar, "You might want to keep this in a safe place, Blagarm"

Now that the dust has settled, Max summons the courage to emerge from his make-shift fortress of tables. Having heard of magical rings, he's extremely curious, and he moves over to inspect the ring that Lerrick has just put down.

Tempted beyond what he can bear, Max hazards to slip the ring on his finger while Blagarm turns around to find a strongbox suitable for the ring.

Before Max has time to react, he dissappears in a could of green smoke.

When the smoke clears, Gensai shakes head in disbelief, suddenly realizing that he has somehow been transported back to The Hanged Man. This is not at all what he expected to happen.

OOC: [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION], I'm assuming you're still game for this adventure, so click on the link and away you go.

@Tenchuu : Sit tight. I've got a plan for how you get back into the game.

treex

First Post
OOC: @Tenchuu : Sit tight. I've got a plan for how you get back into the game.

Gensai collapses to a sitting position on the floor, with his head in his hands. "What have I done?"

OOC: I saw what you did there...
EDIT: Any adventures looking to recruit? Or new adventures coming up? I have a Level 1 and a Level 2 with a slot where I can create a character at Level 3 or 5 (though I'd much rather play the first two).

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: I have a level 1 invoker that I created but never played. I have a character that I'm retiring, so I could even bring him in at a higher level if needed since I just retired a level 5 character.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Gensai holds his head, cross-legged on the floor. Tears well up in his eyes, and one begins to roll down the end of his nose. Without warning, Gensai disappears in a cloud of green smoke, and a large orc materializes from the verdant mist.

The orc appears bewildered. Again, he is wearing an emerald ring, but as the orc stands up, the ring crumbles into green and silver dust. Wherever it was from whence he came, he can no longer return.

OOC: Everybody meet Fenwick, played by @BenBrown

@Tenchuu : Click the link to follow Gensai
[sblock=BenBrown]Many thanks for your contribution to HTNWB and Land Ho. It's been a fun two years for me, but there's a lot more out there, and I wish you the best of it!

I'll never forget the story of the bear, the honey, and the bees.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads