Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

FourMonos

First Post
"He has a soul after all!" Mikara's hands come down flat onto the table, "I've heard that the first thing to die in a battle is the battle plan," She's smiling again, "and that's why I leave the plans to others. Tell me," the eyebrow goes up again, "Why do you want to throw your life away so quickly for a cause?"

"Mikara, you are an enigma."

He holds his mug up in a silent toast, sips, then continues, "Why?"

"There are a few of us now here in Daunton from Allaria. Those who have lived there know that we truely live in a constant state of fear. According to legend, the gates of Hell itself opened up in a war against the kingdom, destroying most of the people and the king and his heirs. The people live in fear, waiting for Hell to break open again. Waiting for the goblinoids to muster a big enough army to wipe us out. Waiting for the wraiths from the decripit capitol to swoop down and devour us like the old wive's tales threaten. The people need to be saved."

"It won't be easy. The largest challenge will be the hobgoblin tribes. The amazing thing is they haven't destroyed each other after all these years. The reason for this is there is one scary hobgoblin chief that holds reign over the other tribes. One tribe will not rise up to challenge him... they would be crushed by the combined might of the other tribes."

"My plan would be to start infighting between the tribes. Kill one patrol and leave markings from a rival tribe. Corrupt water and supplies, create controversy. When things start getting ugly... we take out the hobgoblin chief. The infighting would tear them apart."

"Then we would have to retake the capitol, Old Daunton..."

[sblock=H.M.G] I think my xp rewards were locked out for a while... :( [/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Eager to not draw too much attention to himself while war plans are made two tables over, he quietly turns back to the bar and gives Lenard a pensive look.

"Um ... what was it we were discussing again? Imperia? You mentioned something about mad monks, too. Why don't you tell be about them."
Lenard was likewise distracted by Mikara's antics. He vacantly stares at the near-brawl before Owen takes back his attention.

"... Indeed. The, er, " - he clears his throat - "the cultists I refer to were the original settlers of Nova Imperium, or Mykonos' Sanctuary as it was formerly known. No, that is not quite right. I should say that the original settlers were renowned pacifists. The cultist presence grew among them over the years like an untreated tumor. They were eventually driven out by, if I remember correctly, a band of heroes local to Daunton. The Imperium laid claim to the settlement after it was abandoned, and it has served as a trading post ever since. Still, rumors persist about 'mad monks' who remain cloistered away in the island's lower levels."

Lenard takes a sip from his tea and smiles. "Even if some of the cultists did survive, I do not fear for the island. The contingent of guardsmen stationed there take their jobs very seriously, and the Imperium's martial might is second to none."

rb780nm

First Post
"Hob... goblins? I have never met that kind of prey - they are fleshy like you or shelled like true warriors?" Sound of Stone joins the conversation at the table, his fury forgotten.

"But, never pollute water - water must be protected for the good of all."

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"Hob... goblins? I have never met that kind of prey - they are fleshy like you or shelled like true warriors?" Sound of Stone joins the conversation at the table, his fury forgotten.

"But, never pollute water - water must be protected for the good of all."
"Pfffffffew!" Foam jets from Mikara's nose and bubbles from the corners of her mouth in an effort to stifle an irresistible laugh, "Honey, are you in the wrong place!" she wipes her mouth, "There isn't clean water for miles around here. Why do think we're all drinking ale!?" She waves around the room and out the door, "The citizenry of Daunton has found it their pleasure to fell every tree in the vicinity to burn or make houses... and ships suitable for leaving once every branch of beauty has been destroyed, while those who have nowhere else to go are left to live in squalor." The ranting elf walks over to a window and throws open the shutters, "Not even the moonlight makes it through the haze." She squints, as if that will help as she looks through the pea-soup fog - the result of countless fireplaces belching smoke into the air in close proximity, "They call it 'fog'." She spits the word like an oath, "I call it The Angel of Death. Come 'round to shroud us, to cling to us, to attach its musty, suffocating despair to our very bones, never leaving us, no matter where we go...

And all you can do is worry about the water!?"

rb780nm

First Post
Sound of Stone blows air out between his mandibles, in an imitation of Mikara's raspberry. "you are of a land of clouds and cool rains. If you come to my desert you will learn the true value of fresh water."

Luinnar

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement leader of around level 4 for my Adventure: Delivery of Death. On the mysterous new island of Sojourn you are tasked with solving a town's mysterious murders and zombifications of the residents.

We are fairly early on in the adventure, so it should not be too hard for you to catch up. The adventure itself is a bit Role Play heavy. Anyone interested please post here or send me a PM.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
A brutish, massive hobgoblin with a wicked scar enters the inn followed by a squad worth of thugs with apparently several more waiting outside. He is heavily armed and means business. The bartender and presumably owner of the Hanged Man looks up and goes pale.

-''Look, I told you...''

But the Hogoblin interrupts him. Wordlessly, his hands reaches across the counter and he pulls the bartended over it.

-''What the... hey stop... arh...''

Two cronies of the hobgoblin lifts the poor man of the floor briskly drag him outside, followed by their leader. The bouncers look at each other in embarrassment and step aside then decides to slip away, perhaps rethinking their choice of career. In moments the Hobgoblin and his victim are outside.

OOC: Please, nobody declares he attack the hobogblin or anything of the sort. Maybe you didn't act immediately because you were surprised, because you were too far from the hobgoblin, because your PC isn't that brave and wanted to see if other people would react or maybe, just maybe... because running any kind of encounter inside the Hanged Man thread is an awful idea. ;)

Feel free to post your reaction (aside from a violent one) and to step outside if you feel like it.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Owen blinks slightly as the bartender is dragged over the counter inches from his face. He takes a moment to glance around the room to check everyone's reactions and ensure he hasn't started hallucinating.

He gets up from his stool, hitches up his pants and grabs his great-grandfather's sword from where he propped it. Then he knocks back the rest of his ale and puts the mug back down on the bar.

"Looks like I need a refill."

Then he steps out into the street. . .

Remove ads