• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everyone, Tell us about your games, please!

mkletch

First Post
Mark said:
1.) How many players in your group?

2.) Do you DM?

3.) Do other people in the group DM, and how many?

4.) What's the Male/Female composition of the group?

5.) Got a good gamestore near you and what is it?

6.) Mainly modules or homebrew stuff?

7.) How long have you been playing and how old are you?

8.) Who taught you to play?

Kind of tough to answer. Actually playing in two groups right now. I'll answer for each based on when we play.

1. Seven in the Sunday group, though one is sort of fading out right now. On Saturdays, we have five, though one is only there about 40% of the time. We may be adding two more to the Saturday group soon.

2. Yes, I DM.

3. Of our seven people on Sundays, four are experienced DMs and another is just starting out his inaugural campaign. On Saturdays, we have two DMs.

4. 5 guys, 2 gals on Sundays (including two couples). 3 guys, 2 gals on Saturdays (including two couples). If we expand the Saturday group, it will be another couple.

5. Yes, the Game Preserve, with four or five locations in central Indiana. Good selection, good space in the back for games. Don't actually play there though. Too many people in/out for a session or two, and hard to build a campaign that way.

6. Depends on who is DMing. I use mostly homebrew, as do several of the other DMs. My wife, OTOH, has a gift for tying together disparate modules from various companies into a seamless campaign. We've got a good balance.

7. I am nearly 31 (about a month), and have been playing since my 9th birthday, so make that basically 22 years. My wife has only been playing for about 2.5 years. Our groups have a good spread like this, old 1st-editioners or red-boxers, and others who started with 3E. We even have one that stopped playing in the bad old days when 2E got really fractured. He just started up after about 9 years in mothballs.

8. I was taught by a friend's older brother, who had been gaming for 4-5 years at the time. Also picked up Avalon Hill type games, too, and still play those when time/schedules allow.

-Fletch!

dhamon66

Explorer
1. - 4 to 8 players (depending on who's shipped out to Bosnia, who's just had the first child, etc.)

2. - Yep, I DM

3. - Only one other steady DM. Other's have DM'd before and do for Living campaigns

4. - 100% male (not for lack of trying however)

5. - Couple of them: Collector's Connection (http://www.ccduluth.com.futuresite.register.com/) and Robin Goodfellow (http://www.robingoodfellow.com).

6. - My stuff is a combo of mods and homebrew. The other DM only uses pre-made mods.

7. - Been playing 19 years; am 36 yrs old.

8. - self-taught, with help from the first group I gamed with

Rashak Mani

First Post
1.) Usually 5-6 players at the same session. Our gaming "community" is way way bigger.

2.) I in rare moments DM

3.) 1 "main" DM. 3 others that DM ocassionaly. Again we are talking of a community and I play with over 20 different people.

4.) 1 girl plays. Sometimes a second one plays.

5.) 2 so so gamestores.

6.) A mix of modules or homebrew stuff. Depends on DM.

7.) I have been playing for 11 years. I am 31 years old.

8.) Who taught you to play ? hhmm... I read a bit and then a neighbor "taught" me how to play.

GrayIguana

First Post
Our Game

1. 6 Players, and 1 DM
2. Yes.
3. So far, I DM 100% of the time.
4. T he entire group is made up of 5 males (including the DM) and 2 females.
5. Pegasus Games in Madison, WI. They are very nice, and seem to carry everything that I could possibly want.
6. Mainly homebrew
7. I’ve been playing since I was 12, and I am currently 32.
8. I taught myself and then taught others. To be honest it all started when I picked up the MM1 in a book store as I was attracted to the artwork. I think I was 9 and it took me a long time to realize there that it wasn’t a board game. I remember I had finally convinced my mother to buy the beginner’s boxed set for me, and how disappointed I was when I couldn’t find the board. “What kind of game doesn’t come with a board?” I was sure I had been ripped off. I hate to admit how long it took me to figure out how to play, but I eventually did. I then taught ever one of my players how to play by running them through the same routine, but that is another story.

jester47

First Post
1) 4 somtimes 5 players (not counting DM)
2)Yes
3)No
4)2 Female 2male (DM male)
5)Yes, Wonderworld in Burien WA
6)A mix
7)27, eleven years total, @20 off and on.
8)It was a combination of an older kid up the street, a camp counselor, and some peers.

Aaron.

NewbyDM

First Post

2.) Do you DM?
*Yup

*Not yet, but soon one will be.

*6/0

*couple, one of which is a real game store...

*FR - selfmade mix

*from 89... so about 14 years and im 24

*A friend, who was my first DM.

Answer any or all of the above, please... :)
*Done..

paranoid

Mark said:
Everyone, tell us about your games, please.

2.) Do you DM?

I currently play in two different groups, let's call them "dungeon" and "dragon" :)
1.) + 4.) dungeon: 7 players, including 2 Females
dragon: 5 players, all Male
2.) Yes, in both groups.
3.) We all kind of take turns as DM in both groups.
5.) we have a couple of local game stores that sell board games, comics and CCGs, and most also have a secret little RPG corner. Additionally, we recently got two RPG-only stores.
6.) Mix. Currently I DM Lord of the Iron Fortress, adepted to our long-term ongoing campaign in "dragon". In "dungeon" we try to stay alive in CotSQ, but before we played in an almost 2-year homebrew campaign.
7.) I'm 28 and began with 2nd Ed AD&D in ca. 1990 (can't remember exactly). Before that I played DSA (Das Schwarze Auge, "the black eye"), a very popular german RPG. I tried several other RPGs, too, including Hârnmaster and Cyberpunk 2020.
8.) old school friend of mine.

Answer any or all of the above, please... :)
Done ;)

saebasan

First Post
Answering for my primary campaign (I have three, currently):

1) 7, including myself
2) Yes
3) yes, one other does DM his own campaign
4) 6 male, 1 female
5) Yes, we have a very good game store: Game Parlor
6) Roughly a 60/40 mix of modules vs homebrew
7) I have been playing for about 25 years. I am 39.
8) A friend in high school

Belen

Adventurer
1.) How many players in your group? 5 (including GM)

2.) Do you DM? (Yep.)

(Not really, although I'd enjoy the break.)

(4 guys 1 gal)

(We have two: Games Galore (RPG and board games)and Fallen Orc Games (mainly d20))

(HOMEBREW. I do not think they make good adventures anymore, at least, I never hear about them. No one makes any generalized stuff these days. I do not really want stuff that is tied to other people's campaign worlds. Dungeon is horrid these days. Not even worth the buy.)

(10 years. I'm 26.)

8.) Who taught you to play? (A co-worker at my first job)

Bagpuss

Legend
I'll tell you about my D&D 3rd Ed game that is currently on hold for a cyberpunk game

Including the DM, six.

2.) Do you DM? Do other people in the group DM, and how many?

Yes, although just over half our group are experienced DM's. We often run games other than D&D and most campaigns run for about 3 months before a break for a different DM and game system.

4 males to 2 females

Impact Games in the Palace, Liverpool, UK.
Forbidden Planet on Bold Street also has RPG stuff.

Mainly modules for me, but homebrew for the other DM's I just can't find the time to write to many adventures but when I do they are highly detailed monsters.

I'm 33, I've been playing since about 14.

I learned from the books (D&D Basic, Expert then on to Cyberpunk and AD&D), no one else was playing when I started.

Last edited:

Remove ads