D&D 5E Evolution of LMoP?

Zardnaar

Legend
LMoP is a very good adventure but at the time it reminded me a bit of Paizo's take on an early AP eg Diamond Lake, Sasserine or Rise of the Runelords Sandpoint (port?)

Going back a bit further Pt 1 of The Night Below (2E 1995) ",The Evil of Harranshire" very similar. I suppose one could argue T1 Village of Hommlet also counts but it's not quite there imho.

Is there anything similar between T1 and Night Below that has a similar template or design chops to LMoP? I'm not familiar with every adventure produced in this era so wondering if I missed anything.

aco175

Legend
It is the backdrop for the other box set Dragon of Icespire Peak (DoIP). While no Temple of Elemental Evil, I like having the same backdrop and use it for a couple other campaigns so far.

Could be Wizards just being lazy/thrifty and not wanting to develop another town in the world, I mean Sword Coast.

Zardnaar

Legend
It is the backdrop for the other box set Dragon of Icespire Peak (DoIP). While no Temple of Elemental Evil, I like having the same backdrop and use it for a couple other campaigns so far.

Could be Wizards just being lazy/thrifty and not wanting to develop another town in the world, I mean Sword Coast.

I've got that bix set haven't run it.

cimbrog

Explorer
I remember one of the designers said that they B10: Night's Dark Terror was one of the primary inspirations for LMoP.

I would say T1 isn't that similar - LMoP follows the "town as wilderness adventure hub" format rather than the "village and a dungeon" format.

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember one of the designers said that they B10: Night's Dark Terror was one of the primary inspirations for LMoP.

I would say T1 isn't that similar - LMoP follows the "town as wilderness adventure hub" format rather than the "village and a dungeon" format.

B10 yeah good point.

T1 does provide the home base part of LMoP.

In principle, Lost Mines can be traced back to stuff like B2 The Caves of Chaos. Basic fair designed to illustrate what the game is about. LMoP is far superior of course.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases