Exalted [Re-Recruiting and Re-Defining]

loxmyth

First Post
Lest this thread sink deeper into Oblivion, I propose to start up a discussion of some kind. Is anyone playing in a live game, and if so, how does the game play? I've only been able to read the books so far but it seems like combat could be really slow. Of course, you can never really tell about these things until you've played it, and it could just be my unfamiliarity with the system showing...

Lichtenhart

First Post
loxmyth said:
Lest this thread sink deeper into Oblivion, I propose to start up a discussion of some kind. Is anyone playing in a live game, and if so, how does the game play? I've only been able to read the books so far but it seems like combat could be really slow. Of course, you can never really tell about these things until you've played it, and it could just be my unfamiliarity with the system showing...

It quite depends on the Storyteller. Usually WW games aren't ruleslawyer-proof. :) My storytellers usually adjusted many things on the run. Combat can be slow anyway, especially when you don't know the rules well and you have to check often. I think in a PbP this won't be much of an issue. In live game when combat begins it feels like time slows and dramatic tension goes up a notch, all people start calling on their blows and the poor storyteller has to do a lot of math, but all in good fun.

loxmyth

First Post
Hey Lichtenhart, looks like you're back! How did the exams go? Or are you just taking a break from the studying?

Lichtenhart said:
It quite depends on the Storyteller. Usually WW games aren't ruleslawyer-proof. :) My storytellers usually adjusted many things on the run. Combat can be slow anyway, especially when you don't know the rules well and you have to check often. I think in a PbP this won't be much of an issue. In live game when combat begins it feels like time slows and dramatic tension goes up a notch, all people start calling on their blows and the poor storyteller has to do a lot of math, but all in good fun.

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem in PBP, since combat would mostly be resolved by one person after actions were declared, and there's an inherent lag built into PbP medium anyway.

Also, I think I may be picking up castebook: Eclipse today or tomorrow. Will I be able to switch around some charms if I see stuff in there that I think would suit my character better?

Lichtenhart

First Post
loxmyth said:
Hey Lichtenhart, looks like you're back! How did the exams go? Or are you just taking a break from the studying?
Only taking a break, unfortunately. If I'm lucky by the beginning of October i'll have finished my exams and bought the exalted novels, so I'd be ready to go.
Also, I think I may be picking up castebook: Eclipse today or tomorrow. Will I be able to switch around some charms if I see stuff in there that I think would suit my character better?
Sure. Also remember than Eclipses can learn charms from other exalted and even spirits. Eclipse castebook is quite cool. Gotta love Mirror Flag. :)

Lichtenhart

First Post
Sadly, I'm afraid I won't have access to Sidereals any soon, and I still miss Abyssals too. Nonetheless, I'm more than willing to run this game, though it probably won't be strictly canon. I'll gather people who are still interested this weekend, and I'll see what kind of campaign they would like. :)

loxmyth

First Post
Hey Lichtenhart,

From my readings of Exalted, it would be hard for a game to stay canon for long anyhow, what with people with god-like powers running around. I'm not bothered by you not knowing every detail of every book in the exalted line. That being said, I have Abyssals and my copy of Sidereals is on order, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm most interested in actually seeing how the mechanics work... I haven't ever really played a Storyteller game yet, and I'd like to get more comfortable with them. My pen & paper group has played nothing but D&D and if I'm going to sell this game to them, I want a solid handle on the rules!

Lichtenhart

First Post
Ok, now I am definitely back, and I think I gathered enough ideas to make an interesting campaign. I'd like this game to be an occasion for us to learn more about this interesting setting and game system, and I'd really like to design a game of your liking, so this is the right moment to hand out suggestions and proposals, and to ask anything you'd like to know.
I understand that a lot of time has passed since I opened this thread, so I'd like to know who is still interested and if you still like your concepts. If you don't feel free to change them as you like. I don't need a full circle of solars anymore, so feel free to choose a character you can attune to :) and that you would like to play for a while.
Everything allowed by the rules is allowed, only try to make something not too extreme: remember that in Exalted, differently from D&D, the key for survival lies in balance. I'd like to allow also some of the nice work that has been gathered at Exalted Compendium but we'd better discuss it case by case. Since I lack Abyssals and Sidereals, if you want to play one of them, we'll discuss by post or by e-mail the twist you want to give your char, because I wouldn't like you to discover in the middle of the game that things work differently from what your official source says. I guess Alchemicals would need some work too for things to go smoothly. If you want to play an Infernal, you probably wouldn't want the others to know so you'd better e-mail me. :rolleyes: :D
I'd like to know what you like and what you don't like about Exalted, and which elements you would like to see in the game, because it's very important to a Storyteller to keep his players entertained. As soon as everything is clear, we will be ready to go.
And if you think this deserves a new thread, tell me and I'll post it.

Remove ads