TSR Example from the worst TSR adventure module(s) ever published

ErichTheGreen

First Post
Been reading through the old modules from storage, mostly played 1e, haven't played at all since 2e was newish, getting back in now at 5e hence the unearthing. I just re-read this one and noted lots of problematic areas (plus many typos).

But what surprises me is that nobody in 37 pages mentioned that two different treasure hoards each contain a scroll of protection from weretigers. Not just one, but TWO! There are no weretigers in this module to protect against (oops, sorry, spoiler alert), it was something you could roll on the random treasure charts but rolling it TWICE?!?

And then there's the wilderness wandering monsters chart. You're travelling through a typical (European) temperate forest so you expect to see the bears, boars, wolves, wild dogs and then there are the orcs, gnolls, kobolds, skeletons but also some rather weird entries: Baboons? Hyenas? Tigers? TIGERS?!? Did somebody recently empty out a zoo? The weirdest though, has probably got to be the cavemen. It's almost like there's some kind of spatial anomaly in the midst of the woods spitting out creatures from other continents or eras. Or else that gypsy curse is way funkier than anyone realized...

(Also, no-one has mentioned that "gypsy" is now a politically incorrect ethnic slur, something not recognized in the 80s).

However, pencil marks on the player's map & pregen roster indicate I DM-ed this (at least, most of it) back in the 80s without noticing many of these issues, ah, the good old days...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But what surprises me is that nobody in 37 pages mentioned that two different treasure hoards each contain a scroll of protection from weretigers. Not just one, but TWO! There are no weretigers in this module to protect against (oops, sorry, spoiler alert), it was something you could roll on the random treasure charts but rolling it TWICE?!?

You noticed that, did you? Uh ohhhh...
InsidiousObedientFugu-size_restricted.gif

Lord Shark

Adventurer

See, that just proves how well the scrolls work. I can also, if you like, sell you this rock that keeps tigers away.

Reminds me of an old joke...

A psychiatrist gets called to see a patient. Seems the patient will not stop snapping his fingers.

The psychiatrist asks him why he is snapping.

"To keep the tigers away," the patient replies.

The psychiatrist says, "My good sir, we are in New York City. The nearest tigers live in Asia, thousands of miles away."

The patient replies, "See, it's working!"

Simplicity

Explorer
Every time I don't find myself somewhere else than ENWorld,
I fail to not find this thread.
It'd be a shame to not reply, so I shan't tarry to do so.
Then I'll return to not banging my head.

CapnZapp

Legend
It seems like the author really wants to be a novelist or something.
That's actually more common than you'd think, that people misuse the adventure format even though all they want is to read you a story, having no interest or intention to let the players exhibit free will.

Also, could we move this thread out of the Pathfinder forum? It's a D&D general topic.

Remove ads