• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Example of Basic D&D Combat

RFisher

Explorer
Nope this is the Moldvay basic set. IIRC weapons did either d4, d6, d8, or d10. Two handed swords and pole-arms did d10, daggers did d4, and lots of things did d6 (arrows for sure, not positive on hand axes though I think battle axes and longswords did 1d8).

Actually, the standard was still 1d6. Variable weapon damage was included, but as an option.

p. B25 said:
AMOUNT OF DAMAGE: All weapon attacks by characters (PC or NPC) will do 1–6 (1d6) points of damage, adjusted by Strength and magical bonuses, if applicable. If the Variable Weapon Damage system (hereafter) is used, check the weapon type to find how much damage each weapon will do (adjusted by Strength and magical bonuses or penalties).

^_^ Hmm...the guideline lawyers could argue that magical penalties only apply when using the variable weapon damage option.

Nope this is the Moldvay basic set. IIRC weapons did either d4, d6, d8, or d10.
In B/X (Moldvay/Cook/Marsh), the default is 1d6 damage for all weapons, and variable damage is an optional rule.

Moldvay/Cook Basic Rules pg B25 said:
AMOUNT OF DAMAGE: All weapon attacks by characters (PC or NPC) will do 1-6 (1d6) points of damage, adjusted by Strength and magical bonuses, if applicable. If the Variable Weapon Damage system (hereafter) is used, check the weapon type to find how much damage each weapon will do (adjusted by Strength and magical bonuses or penalties).

Edit -- oops, beaten to the punch...

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Actually, the standard was still 1d6. Variable weapon damage was included, but as an option.

Huh, its been a couple of decades, I guess we just always used that option and never looked back.

I really wish this and the follow up expert set had been turned into pdfs. It would be great to be able to call up this info easily without having to dig out my old battered book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads