D&D 5E Exotic Mounts

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
If they're regularly used for mounts in-universe, you can imagine that, just like horses IRL, they've been bred and trained for the purpose for a thousand years.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Real world dogs do not have the back muscles to be good mounts, gnomes would need to breed them specifically for the right musculature to work as riding dogs. No reason it could not be done. Zebras make poor mounts, too, because they have weak backs. All it takes is time and patience to breed an animal for work as a mount.

I also "rode" the large family dog, but in my instance it amounted to very brief rides where she moved at a snails' pace. Is it more realistic to have a riding dog than giant flying lizards that exhale color coded elemental hazards? Sure, but it still bothers me.
It is the kind of dog I have had the chance to ride. It was fast and it even had a "saddle". That was not a snail pace. Yes I was really young (about 6 years old). But boy was it fun.

dave2008

Legend
It is the kind of dog I have had the chance to ride. It was fast and it even had a "saddle". That was not a snail pace. Yes I was really young (about 6 years old). But boy was it fun.
I've known a few malamutes - wonderful dogs. I totally believe you could ride one.

Interesting note, they are sometimes trained to defend against bears, including polar bears. I read story by a veteran iditarod musher that bought such a dog and was happily surprised when it did indeed attack and chase off a polar bear that came to close to his sled.

Redwizard007

Adventurer

And the average 6 year old out weighs your average halfling. TIL.

dave2008

Legend
I also "rode" the large family dog, but in my instance it amounted to very brief rides where she moved at a snails' pace. Is it more realistic to have a riding dog than giant flying lizards that exhale color coded elemental hazards? Sure, but it still bothers me.
It is mostly an issue of size (though not completely). A human might weigh about 1/5 as much as thoroughbred but only 1/3 or so the weight of Mongolian horse. So for a goblin or halfling (40 lbs), a similar sized riding animal would be in the 120-200lbs range. That is definitely within the realm of a RL dog/wolf and very feasible for a fantasy dire-wolf / worg. So, I guess what is it that is bothering you?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I was having a drink and mistook the title for "Erotic Mounts." Began to think to myself this game is going downhill...

That part of my life out of the way, I've always been a fan of the "stone destrier." There's something badass about being seen on a horse of solid stone. Then there's the metal one that Lord Robilar used to ride around the desert (Greyhawk) when he and Rary betrayed the Circle of the Eight, 3rd edition conversion here for ideas. Rary was making metallic monsters like this to help conquer the region.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
It is mostly an issue of size (though not completely). A human might weigh about 1/5 as much as thoroughbred but only 1/3 or so the weight of Mongolian horse. So for a goblin or halfling (40 lbs), a similar sized riding animal would be in the 120-200lbs range. That is definitely within the realm of a RL dog/wolf and very feasible for a fantasy dire-wolf / worg. So, I guess what is it that is bothering you?
Because it isn't a factor of weight. Its that most animals can't carry any significant weight on their back without major complications. More a musculature/bone structure issue than weight. Yon malamute has apparently been saddled though, and that punches a fairly large hole in my issues.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Because it isn't a factor of weight. Its that most animals can't carry any significant weight on their back without major complications. More a musculature/bone structure issue than weight. Yon malamute has apparently been saddled though, and that punches a fairly large hole in my issues.
Malamutes have been bred to pull sleds, they would have stronger backs than other dogs. It would not be a stretch to breed one to be ridden.

Remove ads