Experience Point: Become a Fit-Beard

I don’t have any clue as to how many fantasy RPG PCs I’ve played over the 30+ years I’ve been gaming. It’s a lot. Easily over a hundred. And they’ve been all over the spectrum in most ways I can think of from naughty to nice, wizards to warriors, stealthy to spectacular. There has been a big variety that has stretched my creativity in all sorts of ways, except when it comes to fitness...

I don’t have any clue as to how many fantasy RPG PCs I’ve played over the 30+ years I’ve been gaming. It’s a lot. Easily over a hundred. And they’ve been all over the spectrum in most ways I can think of from naughty to nice, wizards to warriors, stealthy to spectacular. There has been a big variety that has stretched my creativity in all sorts of ways, except when it comes to fitness. There I seem to be pretty unimaginative and that’s kind of hilarious.

When I’m playing a character who is out there having adventures, delving dungeons, and slaying all manner of bad guys, I more or less think of them as being in fantastic physical shape. And I mean on a certain level it makes a lot of sense. If you spend 50% of your day walking, 25% climbing out of ten foot deep pits, and the remaining 25% swinging a greatsword, you’ve probably got a vanishingly small percentage of body fat and rock-hard abs. Even my wizard type characters aren’t pudgy and out of shape, owing that they mostly hoof it everywhere (until they learn Teleport anyway) and carry everything they own on their back. Spellbooks aren’t weightless you know!

I have had, to the best of my recollection, one (1) PC who was fat and that’s because I rolled it as a disadvantage in Powers & Perils in approximately 1989. It was so notable a feature that the character was named “Chubbs” (I was a little less mature back then). I don’t recall Chubbs ever getting played a whole lot. But then again we rolled up lots of characters who got played little or none back then.

This is a bit of a generalization, but I’d venture to say most D&D characters are pretty fit. It makes sense if you think about it: You have complete freedom over this aspect of your character. Even if the rest of your stats are rolled randomly, you get to choose how you look. Paging through most of the art for fantasy games, you don’t see too many couch potato looking folks in the lineup. If being physically fit is as easy as writing the words, “Six foot two and 185 pounds of rippling muscle” into an “Appearance” blank on your character sheet, hey, why not?

It is, alas, not so easy outside the land of Greyhawk. Here most of us have doctors telling us that we could stand to lose a few pounds and cut down on the salt in our diet. I’m not going to sugar-coat this (says the diabetic): Gamers especially have a reputation for not being in top physical condition. The term “fatbeard” is there because it is frequently earned.

I’m not saying fat people are bad people. Far from it. But we know, especially as we get older, carrying extra pounds and being in poor physical shape leads to a host of other physical problems. Getting some exercise and acting a bit more like our player characters in that regard is a way to prove that Wis is not your dump stat.

I coach people a lot about fitness and I struggle not to feel like a hypocrite. My weight isn’t horrible (I weighed 187 a week ago and I’m six feet tall) but my exercise regimen is often sporadic. I’ve been sick a LOT this winter and that hasn’t helped either. I’m doing my best to get back to regular exercise, which, for me, is mostly running on my treadmill.

This is my chosen form of exercise not because I love running on my treadmill, but because it is the least objectionable form of exercise I’ve been able to find. It allows me to get rid of a lot of the variables, any one of which might push me from “willing to exercise” to “screw that, I’ll play a computer game and eat a bag of chips.” My treadmill is sitting five feet away from where I type this so there is no driving to the gym. And it’s never too hot or too cold or too rainy or too anything in my office such that I can’t get on there and run. Plus, it’s facing my computer screen, which means that I can listen to music or even watch a movie while I’m running if I want. I’ve completely set myself up to succeed. And yet sometimes I STILL don’t!

I’ve built other structures into my life over the last year to help me succeed when it comes to fitness. One of them was joining Fitocracy, which is a really cool website that appeals to the gamer in me. You get experience points for doing workouts, which in turn allows you to level up. You can earn achievements for doing different kinds of workouts. There are even quests you can complete by doing certain combinations of workouts. The Paperboy (where you bike a certain distance and then run as fast as you can for a half mile to simulate being chased by a dog) and Evolve (where you swim, do pullups, and run a mile in a single workout) encourage you to diversify your workouts. I know it sounds silly but those sorts of things motivate me and I generally feel better about them than the achievements I earn playing computer games.

In addition, I’ve started a group on Fitocracy (Scott Moore Coaching) so that some of my friends and I can keep track of each other’s progress, offer encouragement, and have friendly competitions with each other. This too has helped in terms of accountability and encouragement. Both of those are huge motivators in the coaching I do, so why not employ them for my own fitness goals too?

Another thing I’ve noticed for both myself and the clients I’ve worked with on fitness is: how you keep score is pretty important. Lots of folks want to lose weight and that’s a good thing. But tracking pounds lost is invariably a game of diminishing returns. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the smaller the numbers are going to be if you are strictly going by pounds lost. Instead, I encourage people to track the how often and how long they work out or the amount of reps they do or weight they lift. Those numbers will increase and are, to me, more fun to track.

I’d like to encourage any of you who are out there hoping to get into better shape to join our group (it’s mostly gamers in there anyway). If you are just starting out, you’ll fit right in with those of us who struggle to get our butts moving. And if you’ve been successfully working out for years now, join us and pay it forward. We could all use the help!

How do you find the motivation to get in or stay in shape? Have you found ways to make exercise fun? Or do you just put your head down and power through no matter what?

Razjah

Explorer
I game with a group of guys all older than me (recent college grad), all but one are overweight. This sounds terrible, but seeing people who are overweight helps motivate me to stay in shape. I don't want to struggle with stairs when I'm 40. I don't want to go through cycles of getting healthier and then loosing all that work. I don't want to look like a stereotyped gamer. At college I ran a role playing games club to try to help remove the stigma around gaming and offer a place where people won't judge others for their preferred methods of relaxing and having fun. I made sure that my physical appearance didn't allow others to add to their stereotype.

As a plus, I like seeing the numbers rise. My chin-ups are getting easy, time to increase the reps. I used to run track and cross country in high school, so I'm used to competing against myself, now I compete to work harder and longer instead of running faster.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Unfortunately, I'm not one of those who has the switch in their heads that turns a workout into a mood-reboot. I envy those that do. So, like so many, I have to struggle to find a way to stick to Exercise.

In the past, I have found that having a class structure helped enormously. While scheduling can be an issue, having a commitment to it beyond, "When I feel like and/or remember to do so" is a good way to motivate. In addition, having an expert there to encourage and guide is an asset. That, of course, assumes you have an actual expert, instead of just one more person who works out a lot. But still, my staples used to be martial arts classes, and later yoga classes, for those reasons.

These days, however, I've found a solution that seems easier to stick to. My wife and I decided to take part in the "Run For Your Lives" - which is basically a cross-country 5K race, with a lot of mud and zombies trying to steal flags from your belt. I realized that, in order to really have fun with this, I needed to be able to at least run 5K. Or at least jog it, non-stop. Having a goal, i sought a method. Enter "Couch to 5K". C25K is a well-thought-out path from having little to no exercise, to being able to run/jog for a solid half-hour without breaks, without all that mucking around in "I can't do this" and "Ouch, I hurt myself".

Setting unrealistic initial goals and injury are major issues for anyone picking up an exercise regimen. Most folk overestimate what they can do, and when they can't they get discouraged, and start avoiding exercise or making excuses and rationalizations. Or, they get hurt, bench themselves, and have to start from scratch. C25K never set a goal for me I couldn't meet. Each week I'd look at it, and think, "Okay, this is the week I fail." And, it'd be hard, but, I'd manage it. And that, my friends, feels *good*.

But then, I met the goal, went on the Run. Now what? What's to motivate me? Without the very concrete goal, it became harder to motivate myself to continue running.

Enter audiobooks. If I find a good audiobook (the Boston Public Library has a fine selection of genre titles), and only listen when I'm running, I find that to be a motivator ("Gee, I want to know what happens next... well, I guess I gotta go run, then!"). This, of course, fails when I get hold of a crappy audiobook, an issue I haven't fully conquered yet :/

Another major way to get my exercise in has been to work it into my commute. I live in the Boston area, and use public transportation to get to work. The basic form has me walking a few minutes to get to the bus stop, taking the bus to the subway, and grabbing the subway downtown. It is simple and effective. However, I do have to leave home a few minutes early to catch that bus, and the bus isn't terribly direct. I found that, on average, just *walking* to the subway took only 10 minutes more than taking the bus! That gets me a 2.5 mile walk before work, and another after work, when the weather is good. Five miles more on my feet each day is excellent, but it means I go through shoes rather more quickly than before.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Excellent blog! I'd be the first to say that losing weight would be a good idea for myself and many other gamers. I know my friend Mark (Buzz on EN World) has done a tremendous job bringing his weight down over the past couple of years and he wasn't really as large as many gamers, myself included. I see from your link that you coach beyond just the physical. My brother, a former Intl figure skater (toured with Holiday on Ice in Central America and Europe for a time) became a physical trainer for a number of years after retiring from the skating game. It's a tough career in which to compete these days (as is family/marriage counselling), as there are so many specific areas in which to focus. Can I ask in what areas your training and education is concentrated?

*edit* Damn. Can't XP right now as I've hit my 24 hour max. :(

NotZenon

Explorer
As a self styled 'fitness nerd' I enjoyed this article. Fitocracy i found fun at first, but quickly got bored of it. Once you've completed most of the quests it just becomes and XP grind.

One of the things i've always found interesting is having fellow nerds and players write themselves up as 'characters'. Or more specifically what i'm getting at is perception of fitness. Its often the out of shape people will give themselves a pretty high Con for example because "i'm pretty healthy" - but those of us who have been exercising for years often have a more realistic view - or then again maybe we have a more 'perfectionist' view and are too hard on ourselves.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It definitely becomes harder as you get older; and you have to watch the "stealth" weight gain (happening so slowly over a few years that you don't notice until it's too late). I'm lucky in that I've never been overweight, but now I have to watch what I eat, whereas I did nothing of the sort in my 20s/early 30s. If I didn't, I'm sure the weight would creep up.

Giving up smoking also made things more difficult; the urge to snack instead of smoke is very strong.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
Yes, it has definitely gotten harder to stay in shape as I've gotten older. I've always had to fight to keep my weight down though, so at least I know what I'm in for somewhat.

For me it's making sure there is enough variety in the types of exercise I do. If it's all yoga all the time, I keep the flexibility but the muscles and endurance aren't there as much as I'd like. If it's all weight training all the time, I start to love climbing stairs and lifting piano keyboards but have to be careful or I lose the flexibility in my quadriceps. (That makes my knees hurt.) If I don't take walks I start to lose endurance. Most of all too much of any of these types of exercise makes me get bored and then stop all together. Then I'm an unhealthy mess, because the rest of the time I'm at my piano keyboard, computer keyboard, or the gaming table (which really ought to have a keyboard just to keep things consistent.:hmm:)

One of the best things I did was hire a personal trainer. She constantly changes exercises up to keep it interesting and challenging for me. And knowing I have an appointment to meet someone means I am less likely to find an excuse not to work out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've struggled with my weight my whole post-pubescent life. Part of it is my penchant for sedentary activities (oxymoron alert!), part is genetics. Even at my peak of fitness, when I was a real gym rat, etc., I carried 193lbs on my 5'7" frame. And yes, I was fit: 300lb+ bench press, 3 leg-press sets of 10 reps at 700lbs, and juuust capable of touching the iron on a regulation-height basketball goal.

(According to my MD, I literally am big-boned, with about 10% more bone & muscle mass than average: at that point, my 0% body fat weight was 170 lbs- more than 20lbs more than is normal for someone with a healthy body fat ratio that height.)

Its not that I don't like physical activity, its just that other things intervene and take priority. Not an excuse, just a fact.

This year, though, marked the third consecutive year I had put on weight- something I hadn't done since I was a teenager. So I have resolved to do something about it. But I couldn't just jump into the same old stuff I was doing a few years ago. My schedule is different, along with so many other things. And if you've been away from exercise too long, you can kill yourself by ramping up too quickly. That's how Patrick Nagel died.

So, what to do?

Well, I have a pair of Border Collies who were not getting enough socialization or exercise. Killing 2 or 3 birds with one stone, we've gone on daily walks of 1 mile + for 38 of the past 42 days. IOW, my recent exercise regime has been working against the forces of a 2 dogpower, 8 paw drive engine with terrible controls for 20 minutes a day.

While I have improved the tone of my leg muscles, its our older dog who has seen the most improvement: her harness is no longer tight and in need of letting out, but instead, now has at least @ 3/4" of play where once there was none.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads