D&D 5E Experience to Level Up.

Crowsion

Explorer
This is something I noticed with the amount of experience earned at each level vs how much you need to level up.

In the DMG, it indicates that for one level to the next their should be around 8 average encounters. This holds true for the 1st level, but from levels 2 to 10 the number of average encounters required to go to the next level jumps up to 12 and, or, 13. From level 11 to 20 it drops back down to 8 and, or, 9 average encounters.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a reason? Or is it a flaw in the experience system of the playtest?

Here's a spreadsheet with my data. View attachment ExpFlaw.xlsx

ren1999

First Post
It's all subjective.

I prefer an average of 5 rounds of combat.
Big Boss Encounters equal 2 encounters.
30 encounters before leveling up.

the Jester

Legend
I imagine it's just a flaw in the math for now.

Personally, I prefer a much slower advancement rate- more 1e style (sans xp for gold).

S

Sunseeker

I don't like using "encounters" as a measurement. It's weird and doesn't do much to differentiate between a "big" encounter or a "small" one. I mean what XP value are they using to determine what an "encounter" is? Let stick to a cumulative or fixed and resetting value. ie: 1000 for 1-2, 2000 of 2-3, ect... or 1000 XP every level.

I like how Pathfinder provides variable advancement rates, but since I ignore XP values for leveling and determine advanament based on completion of important things within the game, I can't say I really worry too much.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

If they aren't going to go the BECMI/1e/2e route and have each class with it's separate XP chart (I'm pretty positive they won't; too many people would have severe nerdrage over that!)...I hope they go the Pathfinder route and have multiple XP advancement schemes that the DM can choose for his campaign. Slow, Medium, Fast. It's simple and effective.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads