D&D 5E Explain: Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I initially assumed the revised setting would be Faerun/Forgotten Realms, but a Xen'drik book/backdoor revision of the Eberron races and Marks seems far more probable and convenient.
Also crazy to think that within a year, we went from 2 non-FR Adventure books (Curse of Strahd and Ghostof Saltmarsh) to knowing about 7 (Witchlight, Netherdeep, Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel. The Spelljammer book, and Dragonlance)...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
I wouldn't have minded being trapped in the Forgotten Realms, if they bothered to cover anything beyond one coastline of one continent.

So I just (on a whim thanks to this thread*) grabbed a copy of Fizban's and I noticed that the spellcasting monsters have "spell attack" actions. I can see how that might cause some confusion for counterspell. Is that the first place it showed up? Why not just call it a "magical ranged attack" and avoid the confusion? Maybe counterspell is an uncommon practice even among the designers so they didn't think of it. I assume this is the same as they are listed in Mordenkainen's?

*(it's really because I love dragons as main antagonists)
It's been around since the start with the same language. It's just only recently they have decided to make wide use of it.

James Gasik

The Sword Coast is larger than Europe, to be fair, and covers a huge range of climates and cultures. They did a good job exploring it throughly.
Sure but it feels strange not to have The Sea of Fallen Stars and Cormyr (let alone Raven's Bluff). I'm not even asking for Zakhara, Kara-Tur, the Bloodstone Lands, or Maztica- each of which is basically it's own setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Sure but it feels strange not to have The Sea of Fallen Stars and Cormyr (let alone Raven's Bluff). I'm not even asking for Zakhara, Kara-Tur, the Bloodstone Lands, or Maztica- each of which is basically it's own setting.
At one point, Perkins was talking abou getting there in tike. They may still, though they have taken a. Turn outside of the Realms at the moment.

James Gasik

At one point, Perkins was talking abou getting there in tike. They may still, though they have taken a. Turn outside of the Realms at the moment.
Which is fine too, it's also nice to see other settings. I was just saying, I would have been OK with them saying "the Forgotten Realms is the only D&D setting, what is this Greyhawk you speak of?" if they actually covered more of the Realms.

And it's not like it takes a lot to do this, which is what confuses me. Forgotten Realms Adventures from 2e is not a thick book, but it covers a huge swathe of the Realms.

It's almost like they feel you can't print a book without new crunch anymore. Ah well, /derail.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Which is fine too, it's also nice to see other settings. I was just saying, I would have been OK with them saying "the Forgotten Realms is the only D&D setting, what is this Greyhawk you speak of?" if they actually covered more of the Realms.

And it's not like it takes a lot to do this, which is what confuses me. Forgotten Realms Adventures from 2e is not a thick book, but it covers a huge swathe of the Realms.
It actually seems that book just covered the Heartlands, which is somewhat more limited than sCAG...?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads