D&D 5E Explain: Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Off the top of my head? The Lich and the Specter
So they do!

Interestingly, there is no "spell attack" under actions in the SRD. There is an attack action, defined as being ranged or melee, and a cast spell action, but not a spell attack action. I'll have to dig out my MM and see if it says anything.

Note that my interest is mostly academic. I'm just curious what the design intent was behind those choices. I don't actually care about "the debate" and it isn't my goal to spoil this thread with it. And given my Gaming style if a player ever asked to counterspell it and I saw "spell attack" I'd probably allow it, just because.

So they do!

Interestingly, there is no "spell attack" under actions in the SRD. There is an attack action, defined as being ranged or melee, and a cast spell action, but not a spell attack action. I'll have to dig out my MM and see if it says anything.

Note that my interest is mostly academic. I'm just curious what the design intent was behind those choices. I don't actually care about "the debate" and it isn't my goal to spoil this thread with it. And given my Gaming style if a player ever asked to counterspell it and I saw "spell attack" I'd probably allow it, just because.
The issue with spell attacks is that they don't have a level. Cantrips are also Spell attacks, and I don't think they can be countered.

The attacks are either a weapon attack or a spell attack.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
It actually seems that book just covered the Heartlands, which is somewhat more limited than sCAG...?
Hm, maybe I'm misremembering, let me check.

Arabel, Marsember, Westgate- Cormyr.
Baldur's Gate -that's on the coast, along with Mulmaster, Elturel.
Daerlun -Sembia.

Then there's also Tantras, Zhentil Keep, and Hillsfar.

So no one area gets a lot of coverage, and in fact, it basically skips Waterdeep and the North (no Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, or Silverymoon here).

So it's pretty spread out, I mean, Baldur's Gate to Westgate is a big swathe of land, but yeah, I'll agree, it probably doesn't cover more territory than the SCAG. It's still a pretty packed book for it's size though, which is roughly the same page count as SCAG.

The difference is, FRA is DM-facing, with things like treasure tables, art objects, gods and priesthoods, unique currency, updates to the setting, etc., and the SCAG is more player-facing (or at least, neutral-facing). A book like that might not get made in today's market, I dunno.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Hm, maybe I'm misremembering, let me check.

Arabel, Marsember, Westgate- Cormyr.
Baldur's Gate -that's on the coast, along with Mulmaster, Elturel.
Daerlun -Sembia.

Then there's also Tantras, Zhentil Keep, and Hillsfar.

So no one area gets a lot of coverage, and in fact, it basically skips Waterdeep and the North (no Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, or Silverymoon here).

So it's pretty spread out, I mean, Baldur's Gate to Westgate is a big swathe of land, but yeah, I'll agree, it probably doesn't cover more territory than the SCAG. It's still a pretty packed book for it's size though, which is roughly the same page count as SCAG.

The difference is, FRA is DM-facing, with things like treasure tables, art objects, gods and priesthoods, unique currency, updates to the setting, etc., and the SCAG is more player-facing (or at least, neutral-facing). A book like that might not get made in today's market, I dunno.
I've flipped through it, it goes into pretty awesome detail ob the Heartland cities.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The other issue that some have with the change to casters is that you can't customize them anymore. If I wanted to use an ice themed Mage, I could switch out some of the spells known for other spells of the same level. If I had a particular setup that would take advantage of Evards Black Tentacles, too bad for me, since all I have is Fireball. Sadly, this problem would be super easy to solve by simply keeping the text "X is a Nth level caster using Y as spellcasting ability."
Could you clarify this a bit, wont i be able to tell (or discern) their approximate level and still swap spells?

I mean for example, if they have fireball on the list, I know they are at least 5th level, right?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The video posted above explicitly says these decisions were intentional -- prior to the book coming out. So lacking evidence that this is some sort of cover up, can't we assume that, yes, they intentionally built abilities into some creatures that aren't subject to anti-magic and counterspelling?
The decisions may have been intentional, but that doesn't guarantee they foresaw all the ramifications.

James Gasik

Man, I'd hope they did. It would be pretty silly to go "yeah so we took away spells from most monsters" without realizing "oh yeah, that makes counterspell pointless, doesn't it?".

James Gasik

Well, to be fair, they don't learn them "like Wizards", but they do learn them.
Yeah, I mean the Spellbook mechanic is fairly unique, right? I still haven't looked closely at the 5e Artificer- I have fond memories of the original class and was sorely disappointed by the 4e version.

The ability to invest in knowing every spell that is on your list is serious power, only divine casters can match that versatility. Sure it costs money, but (in most 5e games) what is gold? It's as useful as a high score in a console game.

JEB

Legend

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads