Explore the Mystical and Historical in 'Grimoires of the Unseen': A New TTRPG Experience

Does this setting interest you?

• Heck yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but it would have to be well made.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Probably not, I prefer...

• No way, Jose!

WilliamJoel333

First Post
Hello Enworld! I’m an independent TTRPG developer crafting a unique game set amidst the gothic landscapes of 14th-century Europe, "Grimoires of the Unseen." It's a world where historical accuracy meets the darkest European folklore.

Project Overview:
  • Setting: The eerie borderlands of France and Germany, early 14th century.
  • Theme: A rich blend of historical facts and European mystical folklore.
  • Gameplay: Players engage in supernatural investigations, artifact recovery, and foiling dark plots.
Current Progress:
  • Game mechanics, storyline, and character systems nearly finalized.
  • Actively seeking artists for immersive illustrations.
  • Organizing detailed playtesting phases.
Goals:
  • Craft a visually and narratively rich TTRPG.
  • Grow a community presence, both online and at conventions.
  • Expand with GM tools and further adventures.
Seeking Your Input:
  1. Feedback: Does "Grimoires of the Unseen" intrigue you?
  2. Collaboration: Open to connections with creatives and industry professionals.
  3. Mentorship: Looking for guidance from experienced TTRPG developers.
  4. Resources: Searching for development resources and promotional platforms.
Check out the Facebook page for a glimpse into the game's ambiance and potential.

Let's Discuss: Do you see a place for "Grimoires of the Unseen" in the TTRPG landscape?

This is potentially interesting.

Making large claims about "historical accuracy" may be unwise. For example, I presume you don't intend to accurately portray historical levels of religious prejudice?

WilliamJoel333

First Post
The short answer is no. I don't think anybody wants to play through real world religious prejudice or sexism. That said, so many gamers spend so much time immersed in fictional worlds like Faerun. I've spent a lot of time there myself and have had fun doing so. I find real history and folklore to be much more interesting though! To that end, this game is set in 14th-century Europe and includes NPCs who were real people. When starting a game/campaign, GMs and players will be asked to review a lines and veils checklist to ensure that everyone is on the same page and will be having fun. Since this is already historical fiction by re-imagining a Europe where historical folklore and magic are real, it isn't a bridge too far to also imagine a somewhat more equitable relationship between men and women and to avoid the major pitfalls of the past. Exactly where to draw those lines, however, should be determined by the people playing in any given game...What do you think?

Remove ads