Exploring the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron

When WotC announced the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as a PDF release it caused a great disturbance as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and frustration. The joy is because the most requested setting in the player surveys was finally being released for 5th Edition. The frustration is because it's not a physical book, it's not legal for D&D Adventurer's League and it said that Wayfinder's “will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more,” making it seem like a beta release. By contrast, Curse of Strahd Ravenloft was presented as an adventure and source material.

While the disappointment is understandable, Wayfinder's is a meatier release than I expected. At 176 pages, it does an excellent job of presenting Eberron's setting, tone and the type of adventures.

However, Wayfinder's isn't a comprehensive guide to Eberron. It has a lot – far more than I expected from the announcement – but no classes and the world background focuses primarily on Khorvaire, with only brief information on the rest of the world.

Despite what's missing, a GM could could home brew an Eberron campaign for 5th Edition using Wayfinder's. Several times through the book Wayfinder's gives tips or idea starters for how to blend Eberron with the Forgotten Realms setting or a home brew campaign. In fact, it has a section in Chapter One called “If It Exists in D&D, There's a Place for It in Eberron.”

Chapter Three includes the Eberron-specific races Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters and Warforged along with Eberron customizations for the classic races and as less commonly used ones like gnolls, minotaurs, etc. Eberron's tendency toward shades of gray is much appreciated for those who want something other than “orcs are evil” stereotypes.

Chapter Four focuses on Dragonmarks, a key characteristic of Eberron along with Warforged and Artificers. These inherited sigils of power designate a person's house and special abilities. Dragonmarks allow you to roll an Intuition die for a specific ability check associated with the mark. The abilities provide a boost without overpowering a character. Meanwhile the house connections provide a lot of prospective character and plot hooks.

As with Curse of Strahd, Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was created in cooperation with its original creator. According to Keith Baker, Wayfinder's represents the setting refinements he has made over the years in his private games, adapted to 5th Edition. As with other 5th Edition books, it presents a lot of options for roleplay and characterization.

One's of Eberron's strengths has always been how it imagined magic would affect every day life and create technology. That remains and fits with the description of Eberron magic being wide but not deep. Minor magic is common. Powerful spells are rare or don't exist in Eberron, depending upon the situation.

To help a GM create an Eberron adventure “A Quick Sharn Story” provides a series of random tables. Additionally the “Starting Points” are interesting locations and adventure ideas for each section of the city.

The artwork is lovely and really helps to set the tone for Eberron's pulpy, magicpunk adventures, though two pieces were jarringly cartoonish. Not only do they not fit in with the rest of Wayfinder's, but they also don't fit the consistent art tone established in 5th Edition books.

While Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is less than I had hoped, if it's testing whether people will buy the older D&D settings, it's definitely worth it. Whether you're an Eberron fan already or a newcomer looking for break from Forgotten Realms, Wayfinder's provides a lot of material while still leaving space for a formal book release. I hope we get one soon.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

orial

Explorer
"two pieces were jarringly cartoonish", that was always a part of the Eberron art style. Together with the art of Wayne Reynolds. part of me wants this "old skool" art style but another part want art more consistent with the 5e art style.

collin

Explorer
I think it's a good start, but having said that, I had already begun my own conversion of Eberron to 5th edition. Given what this Wayfinder's book lacks, I am apprehensive about shelling out $20 for what amounts to less than half of a normal campaign setting book. There is a plethora of old material for Eberron to draw from. I'll wait until they come out with the real deal. In the meantime, I have my stuff, and I don't know that I need Keith Baker's version of conversions to run a game.

orial

Explorer
Also it's still a works in progress. I own all the 3e and 4e books. Why don't they make this PDF free like the 5e playtest? I will not pay for a PDF and next year pay again for a complete printed copy

dungeonguru

Villager
I've not been a fan of paying for playtest materials or funding kickstarters in general but it seems to be the only way RPG publishers can get new product lines out the door any more. It just feels like an R&D cash grab. I would probably change my mind if they presented a campaign that I'm more invested in (Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun) from earlier editions but that just shows my age group and preference...

Edit: deleted misplaced rant. :)

Sounds good. Glad Mearls and team are bring back *all* the worlds. Opening them up to DMs Guild is heroic. And thanks for Keith Baker for stepping up!

Last edited by a moderator:

mcmillan

Adventurer
Here's some errata. Put the darn world map in the book. It's not like there's gonna be a whole line of official Eberron products - so might as well give newcomers a glimpse and vision of the whole world! geez

There is the world map in the Distant Lands Section, or were you wanting more detail?

mpenny

First Post
Two additional bits about this - Adventurer's League support and plans to add the artificer class.

An Exploratory Commencement

"[FONT=&quot]I’m very pleased to announce that shortly after we begin D&D Adventurers League season 8 featuring [/FONT]Waterdeep: Dragon Heist[FONT=&quot] (and I’m totally STOKED about that campaign as well), we will begin a whole new exploratory campaign featuring Eberron. The foundation for this campaign will be the [/FONT]Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron."

Comicbook.com interview with Mike Mearls on Eberron

"Mearls confirmed that Wayfinder's Guide is a living document and that all the game mechanic elements would receive updates. Mearls also confirmed that D&D would add the much-requested artificer class to Wayfinder's Guide when ready. "Keith also has the option to revise world material that fans find confusing or that doesn’t quite hit the mark he is aiming for," Mearls added. Still, Mearls believed that most of the updates to the new publication will focus on the rules needed to play campaigns in the setting."

Superchunk77

Adventurer
This should have been a free supplement given that it's not a final draft. Follow Paizo's lead on how they're handling the Pathfinder 2e playtest.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases