• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Failed Campaigns

Retreater

Legend
In my 30+ years of DMing, immensely more have failed after a few sessions than got to a satisfying conclusion. That's probably because my reach has exceeded my grasp. Unfortunately for the purposes of this thread - I don't remember the failures as much as the successes.

These are a few from the past few years:

Warhammer Fantasy 4e: The Enemy Within (the wrong group at the wrong time in the wrong system with the wrong campaign)
Call of Cthulhu: Tatters of the King (early TPK)
D&D 4e: H1-E3 Orcus Campaign (even just running "highlights" it was too slow)
D&D 5e: Princes of the Apocalypse (I later did the campaign with another group, but the first time it fell apart because I broke up with my gf and I was running this with her family)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I definitely think there is a difference between "failure to launch" failed campaigns and "collapsed under its own weight" failed campaigns and "killed by toxicity" failed campaigns.

I feel like with 5e specifically, the second kind is the most common failure for me. I just get so tired of 5e after a relatively short time. The last one was a 5e version of Iron Gods and after 3 months I was just done . Before that was Rime for much the same reason.

I have only had two of the last type, due to the same player who after the first time I gave a second chance to.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I definitely think there is a difference between "failure to launch" failed campaigns and "collapsed under its own weight" failed campaigns and "killed by toxicity" failed campaigns.
I had all three kinds of failed campaigns:

"Failed to launch" campaigns are by far my largest collection. The vast majority failed because of scheduling issues, some because I couldn't make the necessary prep to kick-start the campaign, some because I had a "very good idea" but couldn't see how to translate this idea to a campaign.

"Collapsed under its own weight" is rarer, but the only I can remember is the most "failed" of all my failed campaigns. Some time ago, I decided to give a shot at Vampire: the Masquerade. I learned the rules, watched some actual-plays, planned a mystery, gathered the players. I even bought the book! But after a couple of sessions or so, I noticed something: I wasn't having fun. It was more a chore than something that was fun to me, so I killed it. I have to admit I made some mistakes like letting new players play a coterie of ancillae anarchs, and maybe I'll try it again, but it was exhausting.

"Killed by toxicity" happened only once, but it was the worst. I was loving the campaign, but the players were having some bad blood because things not related to the game. They tried to keep the bad blood outside the game, but it didn't work because the interaction between PCs was being affected. I didn't know about the hard feelings at the time, but noticed something wrong and tried to speak with them, but no one told me what was happening. Then the "scheduling issues" started, and again I spoke with them, and one player told me in private about the fight two of them had with another two (it was a party of five). I gave up, and ended the campaign.

This is a very good distinction. "Failed to launch" happens, for whatever reason. You had a cool idea, you kicked it around, got excited about it... And then one person can't make it. Maybe you'll adapt the ideas for another group years later. (Or, as I've tried doing, turned it into a solo game to see what happens!)

"Collapsed" campaigns happen too. Though they aren't always failures! I was once in a truly magical, dramatic campaign that came to an abrupt end because the GM unwisely introduced a plot element that obviated one of the characters' need to adventure. Just withdrawing it would have felt fake... So we had a final climactic adventure and called it good. We have very fond memories of that campaign.

TheHand

Adventurer
Another Vampire the Masquerade failed campaign. Early pandemic I had started up my first go at it with the new edition, and it worked out pretty well for almost a year. We put the game on pause after some real world stuff interfered. Post-pandemic I started it back up, but could only get half the original players, but I was able to add couple new ones. The new party didn't really click, and in-game the characters managed to make enemies out of practically everyone, to the point where I couldn't think of any reason they would survive the till next sunset (short of some serious Handwavium-Deus Ex Machina). I mercifully ended the campaign after that.

I guess most recently, the personal discovery that I've been stanning D&D for three and a half decades based on the fact that I ignore half of it while running broke the axle of a perfectly good D&D5 post-Planescape exploration sequel campaign and upended it into the ditch after the prologue.

I'm still hopeful I can find a system that supports it (and me) better and get it rolling again. Fortunately I have a very patient group.
What exactly happened, if you don't mind me asking? Perhaps we can suggest a system that will help.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I avoid the "Killed by Toxicity" these days by screening. Ill join one shots or organized play until I have a rapport with the players.

"Failed to launch" was sort of a yesterday problem. Having to choose from friends and family directly reduced the pool of available and reliable players. That has largely gone by the wayside with organized play and online VTT.

So, that leaves "collapsed under own weight". I think folks are inundated with many RPGs these days and are finding the long-term campaign less desirable. There are numerous other player factors too such as, being uncomfortable with proactive play, system unfamiliarity, and general lack of interest. It is difficult to plan around this failed campaign concept.

Both mine were
" Crikey this is just a garbage module after all, anyone mind if I stop running".
How I got to the end of the dross that was SJ:AIS still surprises me
- must have been a few failures to launch
-dont recall one collapsing due to vastness
-think have always worked through ones with issues arising?

cranberry

Adventurer
As a player, I've been in games that failed because:

The DM realized that his work priorities didn't give him sufficient time to prepare. Lasted about 4 sessions

The DM rage quit because no one had the time to go to dinner with him after the game play some random card game. Lasted 1 session.
(He hadn't mentioned dinner plans before the game, he just sprung it on us, ...and we were all adults with lives and obligations)

As a DM, games that failed were always about the difficulty in coordinating everyone's availability.

The most reason two:

Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space: Far too much prep on my part for a campaign built around former companions (players could choose to adapt actual companions from the TV series, or create a new original character who was a former companion of their favorite Doctor). The Companions are brought together to rescue the Doctor from {redacted} and bounce around in time encountering and interacting with adventures and events from all of the various incarnations of the Doctor (with strict instructions to NEVER directly encounter the Doctor). Classic example of the players just not buying into the basic concept of the campaign - perhaps I didn't sell it well.

Agents of S.W.I.N.G.: A Fate-powered game of 60s swinging spies. Loved the concept, the players seemed excited about it. Most of the players kind of bounced off of the Fate system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads