• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Failed Campaigns

pogre

Legend
Has not happened for several years, but my best example would be collapsed under its own weight I think - tried to run Ars Magica with a group that just wanted to show up and play. For me, Ars is not that kind of game. So, I went back to WFRP and all was well.

I have had only one campaign fail. I have had quite a few end in a TPK, but that is simply a hazard of the hobby.

The one I had fail was a Gamma World 1st ed game (80-81, IIRC) One PC managed to wipe out the party (all but one PC) while I was finishing up the flavor text for the campaign start-up.

Physical violence then ensued.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I have had only one campaign fail. I have had quite a few end in a TPK, but that is simply a hazard of the hobby.

The one I had fail was a Gamma World 1st ed game (80-81, IIRC) One PC managed to wipe out the party (all but one PC) while I was finishing up the flavor text for the campaign start-up.

Physical violence then ensued.
Sounds like Total Player Kill 🤣

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I designed a 5e game based on Dogs in the Vineyard, but with the idea that the characters are knights hunting the demons and their worshippers who cause plagues.

Whenever a mortal makes a deal with a demon, it creates an opportunity for disease. Pox, blight, madness, all these are signs that a devil has infested a community.

The characters would show up in a plague-infested town and try to figure out who was making a deal with a devil. They'd find the devil and battle it, banishing it or trapping it in an object or small beast. Then the plague would end, and the town would be saved.

I called it Plague Dogs.

I threw together a group of six friends and played out four sessions, completing one adventure. The problem was that nobody could commit to multiple sessions in a row, so by the end of the adventure each player had only been to 1, 2, or 3 sessions. I was the only one who had witnessed the entire adventure.

That's where the campaign died...

I still want to bring it back some day! Of course, this was before COVID so I'm not sure how it would feel running it now!

TPK
TPK
TPK

A couple failed to launch (mostly the ones I run because my ideas aren't fleshed out enough to support a whole campaign.)

The longest two just ended because we moved away and, back in the day, the technology wasn't there to support online play.

aco175

Legend
I seem to have campaigns that maybe not fail, but fizzle. A lot of the recent campaigns come to a natural place to end them and we continue playing them. So, I create a new arc to last a few levels to try and play on something from a backstory or a piece of the campaign that was overlooked or forgotten about. This might be cool or ok, but after a while one player, mostly my father, get tired of playing the higher levels (10-14) and wants to start a new campaign.

We had one 4e campaign that I created that failed in concept. We had another player at the time that could only meet every other week or three, so I created a campaign where the PCs are part of an adventurer's guild and each player created 3 PCs and each week we would have a closed game lasting just one night. The idea was to play all three PCs on a rotating basis and create varied parties each week. The regular players all kept picking the same PCs and the random player stopped coming after a few months, so we just made a longer campaign with the 'normal' group of PCs.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I seem to have campaigns that maybe not fail, but fizzle. A lot of the recent campaigns come to a natural place to end them and we continue playing them. So, I create a new arc to last a few levels to try and play on something from a backstory or a piece of the campaign that was overlooked or forgotten about. This might be cool or ok, but after a while one player, mostly my father, get tired of playing the higher levels (10-14) and wants to start a new campaign.

We had one 4e campaign that I created that failed in concept. We had another player at the time that could only meet every other week or three, so I created a campaign where the PCs are part of an adventurer's guild and each player created 3 PCs and each week we would have a closed game lasting just one night. The idea was to play all three PCs on a rotating basis and create varied parties each week. The regular players all kept picking the same PCs and the random player stopped coming after a few months, so we just made a longer campaign with the 'normal' group of PCs.
The fizzle struggle is real.

Remove ads