• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Falcon and winter solider

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Precisely, Sam qualified for the loan consolidation. He would have gotten it if not for the changed done in the wake of the blip and people returning. However, these terms to shield the bank from a lot of people suddenly returning with no income for five years also happen to disproportionately exclude a lot of impoverished and disenfranchised people (who happen to not be white more often than not).

It would have been more subtle without the sister lampshading this, but it is pretty realist and I understand why they did it. I just hope they don't over do it in the future.
Ah. I'm wondering how many people who returned from the blip had no financial assets. Would all of the disappeared been treated as having died, and their assets distributed?
And, is the implication that the ship was just sitting there for five years, unmaintained, because of the blip? That adds a welcome detail, but I didn't pick up on it from the show.
Thanks!
TomB

Ah. I'm wondering how many people who returned from the blip had no financial assets. Would all of the disappeared been treated as having died, and their assets distributed?

Probably depends on the person and their net worth. You can bet if Bill Gates were among those gone, the court fights over his assets would still be going on when he returned. Also, I think the laws vary greatly around the world for how long someone has to be missing before they can legally be declared dead.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Maybe because a lot of racism is unsubtle and blatant?
It is a matter of context. Remember, I'm not American. In my eyes, these scenes come as very cartoonish, because racism in the society around me doesn't work the same way. Someone acting as blatantly racist as the banker would be quickly branded as a monster. People in here don't behave that way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I assume -- given it was half of everyone -- that some emergency legislation would have been passed in every jurisdiction it affected (which is every jurisdiction in the universe). That's also probably not really the stuff of comic book superheroes, so I wouldn't expect much more than a cursory mention at some point, if anything.

Maybe the She Hulk series? She's a lawyer. They could bring it up there.

It is a matter of context. Remember, I'm not American. In my eyes, these scenes come as very cartoonish, because racism in the society around me doesn't work the same way. Someone acting as blatantly racist as the banker would be quickly branded as a monster. People in here don't behave that way.

Except he is just the loan officer, not the guy in charge of the bank, or even the one who has the final say. It really sounded more like he was told no and he tried to be nice about it, he even said he was on their side. So even if he would have had said yes, his bosses said no. While the loan officer character may have subtle biases against some people, it is his bosses who may or may not actually be racist. I see any person of any race, with the same financials and income history, being rejected for that loan.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe the She Hulk series? She's a lawyer. They could bring it up there.

She Hulk isn't coming out until 2022. There's at least four, and possibly up to 8 movies that are scheduled to come out before She Hulk. I'm not sure they're going to spend that much more time rehashing the Blip.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'll have to rewatch it,but it seems to me that the banker was denying the loan based on actual rules and not because Sam's black,unless you're all saying the rules themselves are racist.

I'm pretty sure that if loans were done the way they were back in ye olden days,all based on character, not credit score or other rules Sam would have gotten the loan.
I didn't see the underlying racism. What I saw is a white man with awkward social skills who could only think of himself (selfies) but in the end acted as a number crunching machine. I once faced a similar situation a long time ago. The colour of my white skin didn't get me a loan. Too much of a risk.
The banker himself wasn't (necessarily) being racist in denying Sam's family a loan . . . it's the more subtle institutional racism that is in play, something that very much continues to be a problem for people of color today.

And institutional racism isn't the only factor in Sam's family troubles, the blip has screwed with society's rules pretty hardcore, including how banks decide to give out loans. Racism as a factor isn't binary (it's racist or not racist), but it's definitely part of the situation.

Dire Bare

Legend
And, is the implication that the ship was just sitting there for five years, unmaintained, because of the blip? That adds a welcome detail, but I didn't pick up on it from the show.
Thanks!
TomB
Sam disappeared for 5 years during the blip . . . but the implication is that his sister and (most?) of her family survived and struggled during those 5 years.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Except he is just the loan officer, not the guy in charge of the bank, or even the one who has the final say. It really sounded more like he was told no and he tried to be nice about it, he even said he was on their side. So even if he would have had said yes, his bosses said no. While the loan officer character may have subtle biases against some people, it is his bosses who may or may not actually be racist. I see any person of any race, with the same financials and income history, being rejected for that loan.
The loan thing itself is institutional racism, in that part the banker isn't at fault. The problem is his general attitude, not making eye to eye until he figures out Sam is an Avenger. Then he acts with glee, but it isn't innocent glee, he acts as if Sam was a circus animal that can act on command. Then fails to show any kind of empathy when he rejects Sam, and even adds unneeded commentary when rejecting him implicitly comparing the US veteran and known hero to a lowly fraudster. Worse of all, he returns to commanding glee mode right afterwards. The whole deal was very dehumanizing and degrading. Lets not talk about how he treats Sam's sister, not even being able to hide his contempt for her the whole time he doesn't actively behaves as if she wasn't there.

Remove ads