• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallout New Vegas

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm sad to say ... I've only played a couple of hours and I've already arrived at the point where it's as much a chore as a joy. Not sure why it took me so little time to get here. One thing is the music - so far there aren't any really catchy songs on the radio stations I have access to early on. I guess another is that it just doesn't feel all that fresh; that could just be because I played so much FO3 and it's so similar in many ways. I might not be patient enough to do some of the new things like make your own ammunition or whatever. But we'll see, maybe it's just the first bit that seems a little dull...

Felon

First Post
It is one of those funny things about games. If you wait long enough before putting out the sequel, folks will be starving it for it so badly that they'll overlook that it's essentially the same game. StarCraft II has had twelve years to evolve, but it's essentially the same game. Rave reviews nonetheless. GTAIV fell way short of San Andreas in terms of the sandbox experience, yet it has the highest Metacritic rating around.

New Vegas comes only two years after FO3, and is criticized for lack of evolution. Humans are weird.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if New Vegas isn't is a lessened experience. Sounds like they're giving you a less harsh world to roam. The Capital Wasteland was appropriately hellish. The downtown was a warzone. The subway system was nightmarish. Towns like Megaton felt like they were barely keeping it together. I remember the genuine sense of oppression I'd feel after popping the disk in and hearing that opening theme.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I put in two hours last night and it is starting to feel like more fun, so no worries.

I do think I need to find some kind of instruction manual for how to do some of the crafting things (the campfire, the ammo creation station).

And you could tell me the instructions to the game-within-the-game called Caravan a million times and I would not understand it. But I'm not much of a card player as it is.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Damn, still three hours before I can start playing...

I've been spending my workday reading reviews and watching vids :D Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Felon

First Post
I put in two hours last night and it is starting to feel like more fun, so no worries.

I do think I need to find some kind of instruction manual for how to do some of the crafting things (the campfire, the ammo creation station).
That's cool. I'm actually waiting until the weekend to sink real time into it.

It's gotten some fairly cold receptions for being just "more of the same". Personally, if it's a great game and there are no other games in its class out there, then I'm all for more of the same.

Felon

First Post

That's cool. I'm actually waiting until the weekend to sink real time into it.

It's gotten some fairly cold receptions for being just "more of the same". Personally, if it's a great game and there are no other games in its class out there, then I'm all for more of the same. Still, guess I need to judge for myself.

Sutekh

First Post
You had to post that twice?

I bit the bullet and purchased the Steam version as I couldnt wait. Played all of half an hour this morning, stole everything that wasnt nailed down in the Docs house, helped some lady kill some nasty assed Geckso. (Damn they can move!) and that was all I had time for. Turning the view seems a little less responsive. Dont know why.

Combat is still a lot of fun , as is just exploring good springs.

Other things I noted

* Like how you cant get double exp from the Computer terminal/ Safe combo. You either go with Science or Lockpick.

* Ahh, good old Fission Batteries. Still weighing bucketloads!

* Boarded up houses. I would of thought every house would of been open for use if it still had a roof. It denies me things to steal!

*Does the Goodsprings saloon actually have any .. workers? I saw the lady , dog and guy at bar drinking. No one behind the bar. OPEN BAR!

* All the weapon ammo types and mods is new to me. I like!

* Geckos are fast little buggers!

* Greenery.. in Fallout. Its still spooking me.

* Facial animations are a LOT better

* Why has nobody else been stealing from the mail boxes!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
*Does the Goodsprings saloon actually have any .. workers? I saw the lady , dog and guy at bar drinking. No one behind the bar. OPEN BAR!

The lady in the bar (not Sunny Springs, the older lady) is the bartender. She tends to wander out from behind the bar a lot.

Enforcer

Explorer
Anyone else doing Hardcore mode? Eating and drinking are easy enough, but the weight from ammo is getting to be problematic for me...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads