Fantasy Craft released (in PDF...)

Psion

Adventurer
Alright, I know Pathfinder is the big hype, but Fantasy Craft is another fantasy alternative out there, and the PDF is out now. The hardcopy MAY be out by GenCon, but the pdf is here:

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=63884&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=341

This is based on Mastercraft, which is a trimmed down version of spycraft 2.0. It might be worth looking at if you want something a bit more generic than Pathfinder, and/or something that emphasizes skill based conflicts a bit more than Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, or 4e.

Though its a d20 derivative, it's less plug and play ready with 3.5 than Pathfinder, but it does have a pretty handy OGL creature converter. But it does use the scalable/abstract NPC/creature system of Spycraft.

The game is flexible in that it features campaign qualities that help define the tone and flavor of the game. For example, arcane magic is not part of the game (or assumed in the balance) unless you use the sorcery campaign quality. Other factors like the presence and function of morality in the game, progression, deadliness of combat, etc., can all be tweaked by selecting the right campaign quality. More or less, they are like built in house rules, with the additional advantage that the rest of the system keys into the existing qualities nice (for example, all classes that would only make sense in a world with arcane magic have the sorcery quality listed as a prerequisite.)

As with Spycraft, it pays more attention to its skill system than 3e. You can get criticals (or fumbles) with skills, and a complex skill system is part of the game. Even the classes reflect the openness of the system to less combat-centric play: all classes have more skills, and there is a courtier core class (that doesn't suck.)

The cheating death rules are a nice new little feature. It provides a variety of story driven methods for allowing a player to cheat death, though there is usually a consequence. But it's a nice compromise if you don't like the implications of excessive resurrection magic.

More as I read. I'm seeing cute little angles all the time. Like I see rewards include more than just treasure. There's a cute looking little favor system...

ruemere

Adventurer
Could you elaborate a little more?

For example:
- are the probabilities for skill checks flat? I.e. is it still d20 vs DC?
- the classes are generic... how the emphasis on non-combat activities is introduced into the game? In most less combat-oriented systems, there are means of rewarding non-combat activities or, in case of older systems, combat is less time consuming, and the investigation/roleplaying aspects are more developed.

Regards,
Ruemere

Krensky

First Post

Skill checks are d20 + bonus vs DC or opposed roll. The default is static DCs, but there are rules for sliding DCs.

- the classes are generic... how the emphasis on non-combat activities is introduced into the game? In most less combat-oriented systems, there are means of rewarding non-combat activities or, in case of older systems, combat is less time consuming, and the investigation/roleplaying aspects are more developed.

The clases aren't generic ala d20 Modern, but they are very flexible in what you can do with any given one. As for rewards, the game structure rewards the party far more for accomplishing goals then overcoming advesaries. Also, the stucture explicitly rewards you for overcoming an advesary, which may include killing them, but also fast talking, bluffing, insulting, intimidating or sneaking past them.

Krensky

First Post
Sounds great Psion. Does it have equipment points?

Somewhat. If you mean the gear system in SC2.0, then the answer is no. It uses a mixture of cash, reputation, and looted prizes. Essentially, cash is used for day to day stuff and reputation is used for castles, armies, and magic items.

Disclaimer: I'm still reading the book and this is from a quick read ofthe relevant sections.

Psion

Adventurer
Could you elaborate a little more?

For example:

It's still d20 vs. DC. Though it has much less of that D&D feel than many d20 games, it's still d20 at its core: classes, levels, the basic 6 stats, etc.

It's still a "traditional game"; there's just more depth and importance to the skill system.

Non combat activities are rewarded. You get experience for meeting objectives and for facing adversaries. The XP from adversaries need not be facing them in combat; you can be rewarded for any opponent whose abilities present an obstacle to you. A recalcitrant guard, meddling thief, or a scheming noble who engage you in non-combat ways can all get you xp.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, that's it then. The sky actually did fall.

:p

Um, just wasn't expecting it to come out, like, this decade. . . ;)

It does sound interesting. I always liked some aspects of Spycraft 2.0, so it might be worth a look.

edit --- $30?! :eek: Ouch! $20 - maybe then. Or $10, like Pathfinder, would be even nicer. . .

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
Sounds interesting.

I may wait for full-fledged playtest reviews.

(Yes I did wait for 4e playtest reviews. Why do you ask?)

Remove ads