Fantasy Grounds Stats Show Massive Pandemic Bump

Fantasy Grounds has shared its usage stats going back over the last year. The recent pandemic...

Fantasy Grounds has shared its usage stats going back over the last year. The recent pandemic has shown a massive boost of 150% in virtual tabletop game sessions!

RulesetUsage2020Q1_25942_image002.png

Here's a look at the game system distribution. "MoreCore" and "CoreRPG" are generic ruleset modules which can be used for many games. D&D 5E leads the pack as usual, at a 63% share, followed by Pathfinder with a combined total of 13% divided between 1E and 2E.

RulesetUsage2016Q4_26805_image002.png

Here are the stats for this time last year. It's actually a drop in share for D&D (from 69% to 63%), which was also borne out by Roll20's figures earlier this year, where D&D dropped from 52% to 48%. (That doesn't mean less people are playing D&D of course). Pathfinder is harder to compare -- 2E was released halfway through the period measured, so a large bulk of it is 1E. We'll have a clearer picture on that towards the end of the year, when 2E has been out for a year.

I am a regular FG user and I have increased my usage by about 150% (added a second weekly game and have been running one shots and such every couple of weeks). I am curious how much of the uptick is new users.
I know near the beginning of the pandemic Moon Wizard mentioned an increase in one week of 10k user accounts on the forums. That doesn't relate directly to that many sales or users, but it does indicate a large growth in users. And note, If I remember the number at that time, there have been another 25k new users since then. So ~35k new users in a month or so?

There is a language pack option. Many of the main rulesets are available in other languages via that effort.

It is obvious that there is a large bump as the forums are full of new users asking questions plus the facebook groups and discord servers.

My group had our first ever online session last week on Fantasy Grounds. We’ve probably got 100 years of tabletop experience between us, but zero online experience, so it took us a bit of time to get our head around how it actually worked, and I’m sure there will be quite a bit more of the learning curve still to come. However, some gaming definitely beats no gaming at all.

emssmiley2002

Explorer
I am a regular FG user and I have increased my usage by about 150% (added a second weekly game and have been running one shots and such every couple of weeks). I am curious how much of the uptick is new users.
I have FG and unfortunately I cant find any groups looking for players.

PRAdams

Villager
I have FG and unfortunately I cant find any groups looking for players.
Stupid question, but I'm assuming you've posted in the FG forums (on their website or on their Discord channel)?

Discord is too much of a hot mess for me to figure out how to grab URLs and such, but FG has a server on it, if you can work through the interface.

Depending on how picky you are about system, play time, etc., you should be able to find a group easily enough.

Banesfinger

Explorer
Our group is going to make the jump to online sessions. But we play Basic (B/X) D&D. I don't see that ruleset listed/available? Would it be a lot of work to use CoreRPG or MoreCore to accomplish this?

PRAdams

Villager
Our group is going to make the jump to online sessions. But we play Basic (B/X) D&D. I don't see that ruleset listed/available? Would it be a lot of work to use CoreRPG or MoreCore to accomplish this?
Is that the same as BECMI? If so, someone started work on a project and made it available to anyone who wants to pick it up.

Remove ads

Remove ads